[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to buy my first car. I would really like a 60
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 60_title_01.jpg (378 KB, 1600x648) Image search: [Google]
60_title_01.jpg
378 KB, 1600x648
I'm about to buy my first car. I would really like a 60 Series land cruiser I really love the way they look when in good condition. I live in Australia and already do a lot of camping and hiking and I feel like this car would support my interests well and I know driving one would put a massive grin on my face.

I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on these vehicles, specifically I want a HJ61 which is a turbo diesel. Will it be a good first vehicle?

I checked carsales and at the moment there is only one turbo diesel 60 in my country and it looks completely thrashed.. I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment (5 months) and I'm a pretty handy person would restoring a thrashed 60 be very expensive? I am not too worried for original parts but I would like to just make the thing look nice.. This is assuming it's mechanically sound and I don't have to worry about the engine.

Appreciate any advice you may have.
>>
Buy jeep xj
>>
>>15457310
Get one.
You won't regret it.
And I'd be jealous.
I own an 87 FJ60 with the 2F gas motor and I'd love to have a factory diesel.
>>
60 series ride like crap. Very common for the roof to be rusty as fuck. Swivelhubs will probably be leaking. Get at least an 8) series if you want a cruiser. I'd personally recommend a patrol. Stronger gbox and diffs.
>>
>>15457361
stop shilling for jeeps on superior toyota threads you faggot, XJ's are fucking junk just like anything else with a Jeep badge
>>
>>15457310
Get one, OPie. They look fucking great, they're almost as comfy as a volvo and that engine is a fucking beast.
>>
>looks thrashed
It is thrashed and you know what? It does not give a fuck and will soldier on. Cruisers are some of the toughest cars out there HOWEVER, be prepared to pay out the ass for parts once something does need replacing.
>>
70 series master race checking in
>>
>>15459255
The burgers think they are good because they have nothing to comparer them with.
>Freedom
>>
File: 20160603_144242.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160603_144242.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
>>15457310
>>
>>15461333
It's the same story with their 'sports cars' too. They reckon mustangs and corvettes 'actually handle really nicely... smash x around the track... getting better' when they're still boats with solid rear axles, leaf springs, and heavy steel chassis. Granted brand new ones might be alright, but they've been behind in terms of quality and tech since sometime in the early 70's, american cars have only just started to be comparable to european and jap cars this decade.
>>
>>15457361
My mates got a Jeep, they're very capable vehicles but my first cars not going to be a Jeep.

>>15458044
Thank you, I think I would really love it and it's nice to hear this from somebody who owns a 60. I'm pretty adamant on a diesel but I might have to look at the petrol's considering how rare good condition manual diesels seem to be!

>>15458050
Thank you, I will keep a keen eye out for rust on the trucks I check out. Leaky swivelhubs, as I'm not a car guy I can't really assess whether this is an issue that stands out as "really bad" compared to other 4WD's in this price range. Hopefully having to rebuild things like that will make me a more competent vehicle owner at the end of the day!

I really wouldn't mind an 80 series but my heart is set on the 60, as I've mentioned good condition turbo diesel 60's for a good price seem to be a bit rare though so perhaps an 80 is in order. I like a well set up Patrol never really saw myself owning one but never say never.

Could you tell me more specifically what about the 60's ride is so bad as opposed to other 4WDs? Thanks.

>>15460677
Thanks for another vote of confidence! I too love the way they look something special about it and yeah all I hear from mechs I know is how beast the engines are, very excited to be behind one.

>>15460701
That's what I hear! I am alright with buying a thrashed one but I personally like to keep things nice and clean and "pleasing to the eye" so the less thrashed it is the less work I'll have to put in to restoring it. I'm prepared to pay for parts if you want quality you got to be prepared to pay for it. Thanks!

Appreciate the replies guys.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.