[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it mean if my steering twitches? I was sat waiting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 2048x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 2048x470
What does it mean if my steering twitches?

I was sat waiting at a set if lights waiting to turn, and I already had about half a turn of lock on. I noticed the wheel was turning itself back and forth about an inch, not fast like a vibration, more like it were trying to massage you.

What can cause this, is it something to worry about? My car also whines quite loud when on full lock.
>>
>>15449237

If your car uses conventional hydraulic steering, you are either getting pressure surge from your power steering pump or there is a defective valve somewhere in the power steering system.

What make/model/year?
>>
>>15449261
Audi A4 2002 quattro, so hydraulic of course.

The first time I noticed the steering moving on its own was today, but the steering has whined ever since I got it a year ago. The diffs also groan when turning the wheel while stationary, I hear this is normal but it's also quite worrying.

VAG trash I guess.
>>
>>15449237
>power steeringfags
Manual steering rack all day erry day.
>>
>>15449316
Is the whining coming from by the fan belt or is it coming from the bottom of the car where the steering track is?
>>
>>15449316
The power steering system looks fairly simple on the vehicle.

http://www.midatlanticaudiparts.com/p/Audi_2002_A4/Power-Steering-Return-Hose-Return-hose-Upr-return-hose/48956666/8D0422891C.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

http://www.midatlanticaudiparts.com/a/Audi_2002_A418L-AutomaticBase-Quattro/_57204_6008358/STEERING-GEAR--LINKAGE/1397365.html
>>
>>15449325
I have no idea I'd have to sit under the car and listen. It is really loud though, I could hear it well over 150ft away when someone else was driving my car.

>>15449341
That's good to hear but I don't doubt if anything did fuck up it would still be crazy money to repair. Not even like I could live without power steering if it did go bang because I had the car towed once (it broke down surprise surprise) and steering it was a workout and a half.
>>
>>15449319
>not having electric assisted power steering
Enjoy your burn after shoulder day.
>>
>>15449353
>Enjoy your burn after shoulder day.
This is how i know you're such a faggot, you've never driven non-powered steering.
The meme is that it's hard to turn which is unbelievably false. As a matter of fact, they're much more difficult to keep in a straight line.

Maybe one day when you sell your literal piece of shit, you might buy a classic car.
>>
>>15449352
If you can hear it from 150 feet away you may just need a new fan belt/tensioner. Have you noticed anything crazy going on with your battery dying/alternator output?
>>
>>15449361
Well the headlights go dim when I use the electric windows if that's what you mean. Car will also start idling 300rpm or so higher than normal after about 5 minutes of driving which I gather is it's attempt to charge the battery a bit.
>>
>>15449360
>This is how i know you're such a faggot, you've never driven non-powered steering.
Why would I? I'm on my 20s.
The only modern car without power steering, that comes to mind, is the 4C.

And why would I buy a classic? I love some older cars, but that doesn't mean I'd be bothered to ever buy one in the future. I'd rather haver multiple modern cars than having classics, except for some unicorns.
>>
>>15449375
Kinda gay 2bh but you shouldn't talk about manual steering like you know about it.
>>
>>15449380
Well, you can't say it's as easy turning standing still on a manual steering car as it is on an assisted one.
>>
>>15449372
> Start the car, let it idle
> Pop hood
> Look for the longest span between two pulleys which the belt goes over
> check to see if in the middle of this span the belt is bouncing in the middle
>if bouncing remove belt
>when removing belt, check tensioner mechanism on tensioner pulley
>if the spring mechanism exerts significant torsion on the pulley arm then the tensioner is fine

>Replace fan belt if bouncing
> repeat process
>>
>>15449387
fair but it's not grueling. It takes getting used to but you do get used to it if you do it enough.
You can also just get the vehicle moving before you turn. It's weird but it helps.
>>
>>15449393
Thanks senpai I'll take a look next time I come back from a drive.
>>
>>15449417
>I'll take a look next time I come back from a drive.
Not the guy that gave you good advice on the belt and tensioner.

But It's saturday, so you can look at it now by just starting the car up while it is cold. Then after a drive, you look at it again and see the belt after it has warmed up.

If it is already loose when cold, then the tensioner is not enough to take up the slack on the belt.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.