[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: SaabRoundel1.jpg (84 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SaabRoundel1.jpg
84 KB, 1024x768
What went wrong?
>>
>>15449055
>what didn't go wrong
>>
File: GM-ban-sign[1].jpg (79 KB, 694x692) Image search: [Google]
GM-ban-sign[1].jpg
79 KB, 694x692
>>
>>15449055
Motherfucking GM. GM a shit.
>>
A lack of concern with profit.
>>
While I was never a fan of Saab, it sounds like Saab was a victim of GMs badge engineering BS that finally bit them in the ass. It looks like they also didn't put any effort into what they thought was a dying brand. Like they did with Oldsmobile.
>>
>>15449055
The main things:
-No estate version of any car made between 1978 and 1998
-GM said they would broaden SAABs rage of models, they never did
-Also badge engineering done wrong
-GMs lack of commitment during the crisis. But you cant really blame them for this. Cant really justify GM using american tax dollars to save a swedish company
>>
>>15449169
Why did they have to buy it in the first place? Do they not care about ruining other countries auto companies by the whole idea of 'corporate conquest, as many brands and rebadges as possible'? I guess that makes sense when you look at how U.S. unions blocked rebadges of several holden models because they know it would ruin part of their automotive capabilites.

Also, why the fuck is an estate car needed for success? The 900 turbo was already a near estate car anyway.
>>
>>15449359
Ask Scania, they split the company off and sold it to GM.
>>
>>15449055
Apparently making jets and planes is more profitable than making cars.

They prolly learnt that shit from Daewoo.
>>
File: saab-9-5-14.png (303 KB, 600x376) Image search: [Google]
saab-9-5-14.png
303 KB, 600x376
>>15449055
>>15449055
They tried to compete with BMWs, Audis and Mercedes-Benzes with the FWD 9-5, the 4WD version came when it was already too late.
I own a '00 9-5, and like it tho.
>>
>>15449055

There's an episode of Top Gear with a segment about it.
>>
>>15449445
I have to add that FWD was the thing of the SAABs, when it was special and unique, today it is the other way around obviously. As I said they should have moved on to 4WD way earlier, but to my knowledge the financial problems started in the early 90's, as can be seen with the over extended production of the 1st gen 900.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.