[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
POR 15
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Have any of you used this stuff?
How well does it work?
Would you recommend it?
>>
File: IMG_20160424_205609305_HDR.jpg (4 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160424_205609305_HDR.jpg
4 MB, 4320x2432
POR 15 is interesting.

I've used a shit-ton of it. Honestly, I think it's over rated for the price.

What exactly are you using it for?
>>
>>15448507
Not OP. Do you prefer something else?
>>
>>15448541
There's a boat load of other rust preventative products out there. quite a few are abetter bang for your buck then POR 15 IMO.

The question is what your goign to be using them for.
>>
>>15448489
None of the professionals I've ever spoken to use this stuff. It's always 3M, Wurth, Bilt Hamber etc etc, never POR15
>>
>>15448734
Probably because it costs more. So it has to be better.
>>
File: Chemistry-Cat.jpg (40 KB, 552x545) Image search: [Google]
Chemistry-Cat.jpg
40 KB, 552x545
>>15448489
it's a one-pack polyurethane tinted with carbon black that has a catalyst/hardener functionally similar to superglue.
it has no rust-curing or rust-preventing chemicals; it's waterproof until you scratch it, that's literally the entirety of their claim to 'stop rust'
it's a home remedy for people who can't or won't commit to shotblasting and hot dip galv.
>>
>>15448489
I know some people who swear by it but I've never used it myself
>>
I haven't used POR 15 but I've used other rust converting epoxy primers.
They all work.
>>
>>15449785
why is it alcohol based instead of oil?
>>
>>15448489
Just do WaxOyl and be done with it.
>>
>>15448507
OP here I was thinking of using it on the frame rails and cross members of my truck so it hopefully won't rust to pieces.
But I live in WI so it's probably an exercise in futility.
>>
After a small amount of research I've found that rust paints don't actually do much if you're applying it to a chassis that's already starting to rust. It creates an almost enamel coating over the metal, and once permeated water will seep in and have no where to escape thereby cause rust underneath the coating. For this you can use anything, Por15 down to a regular bargain brand rust paint is all the same. Maybe for a body off restoration where you can bring the rust down to bare metal, these are good products. Any paint or "epoxy" is bad for those reasons.
The best way to stop rust is an oil based spray that never dries. It will constantly displace moisture. The only problem is you have to keep applying it every 6 months or year, because eventually it disappears.
>>
>>15450579
This
>Empty engine oil into sprayer
>Possibly thicken depending on weight
>Apply directly to frame
>Don't tell the EPA
>>
>>15450076
>oil leaks onto it
>Paint runs off
>>
Defiantly not doing a body off restoration. It's a 94 Dakota with about 200 thousand miles. So most people wouldn't put much money into it, problem is I love damn thing. It's all just surface rust except for one spot on the driver's side under the cab there the bottom is rotten for about 2 feet but the sides and top are still solid.
>>
>>15450495
What county? Sheboygan fag here
>>
>>15450652
Brown.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.