[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning a manual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Hey guys, I'm 18 and my mom gave me her 2009 Civic sedan to daily. It's automatic though. My grandfather has a standard shift car that I've started trying to learn on. The first time was pretty bad, but the next time I managed to drive it around the neighborhood but I kept peeling out on this stop at the top of a hill near my house... I couldn't get it smooth without stalling the engine. It's not a good feeling to be rolling backwards...

What should I be doing to learn how to better work the clutch and gas pedals? Should I just drill starting and stoping on relatively flat surface before moving to hills and then just keep drilling that? Because getting the car in motion from a standstill has proven to be the biggest challenge for me. And on a hill it is way worse.

Thanks
>>
Learn when the clutch begins to "grab"; that is, when you feel the car begin to move and the RPMs dip slightly. Once you can get the car moving with only the clutch on flat ground, you're pretty much golden. Hillstarts are the same, but you need to add gas while releasing the clutch. If you feel too intimidated by that, use the handbrake to hold you in place while you get it moving
>>
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT ANON !
>>
>>15447916
This is pretty much what my father said. The problem is that it's quite stressful to have someone behind you and be rolling backwards... That's where I mess up my clutch because my mind is fogged. I really don't want to hit anyone I swear lel

Thanks for the reply dude
>>
>>15447920
Right, just practice on the side of a hilled road that gets no traffic during work hours. Also, what car are you learning on, if I may ask?
>>
>>15447928
Oh boy, it's a shitbox. Barebones 2007 Hyundai Accent hatchback. My grandfather traded his perfectly fine 94 4runner for this shit thanks to "Cash for clunkers" or whatever the hell Obama did. Thanks obama
>>
You can always use the parking break and ease off it if you're scared of rolling backwards.

/o/ will make fun of you though
>>
>>15447936
>94 4runner
Funny coincidence, I learned stick on a '90 Toyota Pickup! Anyways, a shitbox is an excellent car to learn manual on. You don't feel too bad if you screw up. Can you shift up with no troubles?
>>
>>15447945
/o/ will make fun of you for anything. If it keeps me from rolling into the dude behind me in his new Benz then who cares :)

That's something I'll have to try
>>
>>15447952
Roll back a little on purpose, it'll scare them from getting on your ass again!
>>
>>15447952
Yeah. I do it when I'm driving other people's shitboxes at work. The clutch gives out either half an inch off the floor or as soon as you look at it. There's no in between. You'll learn to drive a stick in a week, no worries there mate
>>
>>15447958
It's bad driving to sit on someone's butt like that. My instructor told me to sit where you can see both of their rear tires sitting on the ground. People like to get right up on you though. Stupid
>>
>>15447994
Yup, a good amount of the stuff in driving school is never followed in the real world. Drive like a slightly intoxicated coke addict and they give you space real quick!
>>
>>15447870
A) Clutch disconnects engine from wheels

B) Clutch pedal allows for variable engagement instead of just on/off

When starting off, hold the clutch pedal around the engagement point until engine is fully engaged, then release clutch pedal.

Now how fucking hard was that?
>>
>>15447870
Drive the civic like a normie and stop being autistic
>>
>>15447870

Learning a manual is still one of those fond memories of being completely incompetent, thinking you will never get it, and then it becoming natural.
>>
>>15447920
>it's quite stressful
desu I mess up more often uphill starts when there's nobody behind me because I'll get careless.
Way I learned manual was getting thrown into 635 traffic to and from dallas. You either learn or leave your car on the side of the road.
>>
>>15450279

Yea no.

>go to large parking lot when its empty
>let go of clutch slowly until it catches

>find parking lot with hill
>repeat with some gas pedal use

Don't get me wrong, I learned to ride a bike by getting sent down a mountain bike course, but let's not suggest idiocity we went through on other people.
>>
>>15450298
>being a whiny faggot
sorry your parents raised a beta.
>>
>>15450314

>recommending someone learn to drive a clutch in traffic

Enjoy having a wrecked car.

There is being a whiny faggot, and then there is being a moron.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.