[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I keep the money pit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: big red turd.png (1 MB, 961x539) Image search: [Google]
big red turd.png
1 MB, 961x539
I need some advice, /o/

I have a car that's got some issues piling up, and I'm not sure whether or not I should continue dumping money into this car, or just cut my losses and get a newer one on payments.
I mostly wrench on it myself, but even so I've still ended up dumping most value of the car in repairs/parts.
It still needs a fair bit of work (~1000$ worth, and the car is worth ~$3000), and at this point I'm getting really tired of fucking with it.
wat do?
pic is of the old turd - 99 Grand Marquis LS PT
>>
Well tell us the issues you cock sucker
>>
>>15428885
needs all 4 cats replaced, needs the dash torn apart to get to some electrical parts that need replaced (mainly the blend door actuator), the ABS doesn't work at all, the parking brake cable is rotted and doesn't work, the front driver side fender is rotting (that's the only rust on the car tho), the traction control only works intermittently, and valve stem seals are starting to go - those are the most glaring issues
>>
>>15428942
and that's excluding the work i've already done btw
>>
>>15428847
Get rid of it. It's a ticking time bomb. Also it's a shit car. I could understand if it was something cool like a BMW 635csi but it's a shitty American shitbox. Get a Miata, it's better in every aspect. Unless you have a bunch of shit. In that case get a WRX.
>>
>>15429137
1. I can't afford a WRX
2. I can't use a Miata here due to harsh winters
3. I have a LOT of shit to haul, and I regularly take 8+ hour drives many times per year to help my grandparents.
3. I'm in college, so I'm poor as fuck. I can't afford anything very cool, sadly. I also don't have time or funds to maintain a merc/bmw.
>>
>>15428847
I'm in the same shit as you OP. I've decided to keep the car since I'm taking some automotive classes and I will have access to an air conditioned shop with lifts. I've already invested a lot of time into learning my car inside out and I would feel like if I let the car down if I got rid of it without fixing it. I would at least like to know what the car is supposed to drive like by the time I'm done with it.

You can take it or leave it but keep in mind if you get another car the same shit will probably end up happening all over again.
>>
no, old cars are rarely worth it and you have a gas guzzler. Buy something newer like a yaris.
>>
>>15429176
C I V I C
I
V
I
C
>>
>>15429443
Correct answer,
insurance may be more but it'll pay for itself with reliability
>>
Sad to see the boat go, but if it were me, I'd drive it around until I saved enough money to buy a better car. With those issues, drive cautiously and you might get more time before it completely shits the bed.
>>
>>15429963
a civic would probably be less for insurance because it's a safer car actually.
>>
>>15429423
>>15429963
>>15430257
OP here.
i'm thinking i'm gonna get this thing to a point where it's sellable, and trade it in for a Mercury Marauder on payments. I LOVE the marauder, it's always been one of my favorite cars. Plus I could justify working on it more.
>>15429443
I can't stand the civic. Too uncomfortable, too small, don't like FWD, don't really enjoy 4 bangers for the most part.
>>15429436
Gas mileage is meaningless to me. I'm not strapped for gas money, and it doesn't make enough of a difference for me to trade down to a shitty little yaris or anything of that size/class.
>>
>>15430293
you have objectively shit car taste that will cost you more money down the road
>>
>>15430349
elaborate.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.