[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/ My vw has this fuses on top pf the battery. And one of them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
/o/

My vw has this fuses on top pf the battery. And one of them is for the alternator

Anyways its burning the alternator fuse like every week, and I don't know why.
I bought the car with a sound system and subs in the trunk so my only guess is the big speaker is drawing too much energy and burning the fuse
>>
>My vw has this fuses on top pf the battery. And one of them is for the alternator

>My vw

Bigger fuse if you're brave

Alternatively

Remove subs
>>
>>15418974
also the subs are not connected to that box there but are connected directly to the red cable on the battery and it has a fuse of its own so that makes me question if its the subs thats burning it.

ALso what are the posibble consequences of using a bigger/no fuse with direct conection? will it burn the alternator or could it fuck up the whole cars computer
>>
>VW with electrical problems
kek, they all do

>Muh subs
Oh. Yeah that would do it. Bigger alternator or smaller subs.
>>
>>15418986
Wait a second so the fuse on the subs is good?
>>
>>15418966
>buying a car that someone hacked up to install a shitty stereo
you dun goofed.
>>
>>15418998
yes the fuse on the subs is good.

Its the alternator fuse that keeps breaking
>>
>>15419013
I'm thinking it's a short to ground.

Grab a multimeter, start by measuring the resistance to ground at each of the connections for the sub and alternator. One connection will be either 0 Ohms of very close to it. That is where I'd start looking for something that will cause the excessive current draw. Make sure the harness is disconnected from the Alternator, and disconnect each connection to make the measurement.
>>
>>15419035

One more thing, car was working fine for like 1 month after i got it then i had to do some engine work and i took it to the shop and they unmounted the engine and like 2 days after i got it back the alternator fuse blew. I replaced it and exactly one week later it blew again.

Could it be that they fucked something up at the shop and the subs are fine?
>>
>>15419072
Dunno mang.

Might wanna look around the fuze box for corrosion or something. Check all your leads and hook shit up.

I can't offer any disclaimer on upping the fuze rating, I've done it and blown shit up, I've done it and it's never happened again.

GF drives a jenky car and it blew out all of its tail lights one day, I replaced the fuses and it never happened again.

Sometimes weird shit happens.

What did they unmount the engine for?
>>
>>15419100
oil pump died and i ran it like that for a while so they have to machine the crankshaft and some other shit
>>
>>15419116
Holy fuck.

Gasser?

Good luck man. I'm not a mechanic, I change tires. I fix a lot of people's cars though, end up working on shit out of my league and figuring it out the hard way.
>>
Rip out everything that isn't factory stock or get a custom harness.
>>
>>15418966
>Anyways its burning the alternator fuse like every week, and I don't know why.

This problem has happened to various other people and is documented on various other forums. Google the following two phrases and try all their results:

what causes the alternator fuse to blow?

alternator fuse keeps blowing

One of the things to check is a bad alternator. That might happen if some windings are shorted out. So go read the search engine results at those forum sites. That will narrow down what you have to look at on your car.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.