[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stability control
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: images.png (3 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
images.png
3 KB, 251x201
Who makes the best Electronic Sability Control? Are most ESC's the same?
>>
Would the stability control on a G35 be more effective than the stavility control on an IS300? Or vice versa?
>>
File: 32794538-640.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
32794538-640.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
the traction control in my pedo wagon is pretty nice, it seems to only come on when you press the breaks for example if I'm on ice and I'm trying to turn right but I'm going too fast I can just lock up the brakes and it will only lock up the brakes on the right side thus letting me take irrationally fast, tight turns in conditions that warrant less reckless behaviour.
>>
Damn /o/ is weird during the day
>>
I've never had traction control before my current car... is there a point to ever turning it off?
>>
File: POWER.jpg (127 KB, 1200x892) Image search: [Google]
POWER.jpg
127 KB, 1200x892
>>15419150
None at all
>>
Hint: all ABS / TC / ESP systems, even the kinds with fancy trademarked names, are made by just a few supplier companies.

I used to work at the Bosch® plant in Charleston, SC and we made systems for everything from Civics to the Bombardier 3-wheel monstrosity, to Ferraris. They were all basically the same, with variations in mounting and tuning (ABS/TC/ESP units have their own computer).

>>15419150
Traction Control (TC) detects when you are spinning your power-driven wheel during acceleration. If it senses wheel spin then it applies the brakes (some are tuned to predict spin and brake before it happens; some are tuned to even allow a small amount of spin). Disabling TC allows you to use as much throttle as you want, no matter how much the wheels spin, which may be beneficial in certain situations (e.g. doing burnouts, getting grip from a stop in light snow).

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) senses when tires begin to lose traction or slip during cornering / turning and applies your vehicle's brakes in order to slow you enough that none of your tires are slipping. Some vehicles apply all the brakes at once, but most only brake certain wheels according to some algorithm.

Stability is the fucking devil, as you can be taking a corner at what you consider a moderate pace and the brakes randomly engage, often upsetting the suspension's balance and / or causing understeer.
>>
There's different generations of ESC and different tunes for different cars. Some newer cars use the ESC to reduce understeer, Renault is one of them. Some cars allow you to skid to a certain degree before stepping in. Cars with sports mode etc will usually use different ESC tunes between those modes. Which is best? Any that allows some fun and can be completely turned off.
>>
>>15420098
Isn't it 90% Bosch at this point?
>>
File: Coronel sanders demon.jpg (148 KB, 621x1041) Image search: [Google]
Coronel sanders demon.jpg
148 KB, 621x1041
>>15420098
>Stability is the fucking devil, as you can be taking a corner at what you consider a moderate pace and the brakes randomly engage, often upsetting the suspension's balance and / or causing understeer.
So it can actually make you crash rather than keep you from crashing?
>>
>>15418534
Toyota / Subaru, the 86 twins let you get surprisingly sideways with it on, but pics everything up before you get out of control.
>>
>>15418570
That's stability control.
>>
>>15421206
No, it doesn't. Not in the scenario he described and not unless you're forcing it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.