[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will people hate me if I buy an r32? So I just got my license
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg (312 KB, 1280x715) Image search: [Google]
Nissan_Skyline_R32_GT-R_001.jpg
312 KB, 1280x715
Will people hate me if I buy an r32?

So I just got my license att few weeks ago at 19.

My knowledge of cars is relatively basic - I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn though.

So I have the money to buy an r32 - they are basically THE car I'd want to drive.

Obviously I don't have the funds personally but my patents do.

Is it acceptable? Is this an ok thing to do?

Help this autismo out
>>
>>15417386
You're a spoiled brat and I hope you get in an accident
>>
>>15417386
get a corolla
>>
>>15417386
1st car? Buy a car that you can learn on and not cry if you ding it up or wreck it. Buy nice shit after you have a few years under your belt. And don't limit yourself to someone else's screwed up idea of the "proper" car.
>>
>>15417391
See, this is why I'm hesitant - I didn't earn the car
>>
>>15417405
Solid advice, thanks
>>
>>15417386
It will cost you more money than you think

Keep 5-6K cash in reserve for when the 25 year old RB26 oil pump shits itself because you're a stupid teenager and will rev the piss out of it.

If that information was new to you then you're already too uninformed about the car to own it.
>>
>>15417405
Lol you can't crash in a 4WD silly.
>>
>>15417434
>all teens are dumb and abuse their cars

No.
>>
>>15417441
Yes
>>
>>15417441
Don't bother buying a gtr if you're not gonna abuse it
>>
>>15417386

You will crash it. Buy something cheap so you dont trash a legend.
>>
>>15417386
if you feel like you earned it then buy it fuck everyone that says you're spoiled if its what you want to do. You will not trust yourself in a car like this though and all the people that say you will crash it are wrong too it'll only happen if you're being a dickhead or someone else is. I'd just buy a shitbox because you wont trust other people, like leaving it in a park at a shop someone dooring it becomes an issue people stealing it etc.
>>
>>15417386
Fucking Cucknadians or Ausfaggian
>>
>I don't have the funds personally but my patents do.
Fuck off edison
>>
>>15417386
>letting other peoples opinions sway your decision
>>
>>15417465
abuse =/= make the most out of

and yeah on a 25 year old car lots of shit is gonna be liable to break

especially if you do some retarded youngfag shit like try to drift with the attesa system enabled
>>
File: 1998_BMW_328i.jpg (374 KB, 1600x686) Image search: [Google]
1998_BMW_328i.jpg
374 KB, 1600x686
No don't get an r32, what are you looking for in a car? Since you don't have much funds I recommend an e36 if you're looking for a well rounded sporty car, that's easy to work on.
>>
File: 1467963497713.jpg (22 KB, 472x470) Image search: [Google]
1467963497713.jpg
22 KB, 472x470
>>15417720
>if you dont have much funds, get an old BMW!
>>
>>15417592
Top kek
>>
>>15417720
Top kek

No

If anything OP should get a Corolla or Civic
>>
File: doggo.png (27 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
doggo.png
27 KB, 100x100
>>15417386
>Not wanting to do something because it'll make other people jealous

okay
>>
>>15417386
Buddy if you can get the car you want, why the fuck wouldn't you?
>>
>>15417752
Lol why? If someone wants a sporty car why not get a basic one for cheap? Why should he settle for a civic?
>>
Have you looked at silvia s14's. They're very easy to work on and parts are cheap and you can thrash the fuck out of them. Also easy as fuck to drive
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>15417386
>relatively no knowledge
>parents money
If you want a R32 to learn on that won't absolutely kill your wallet get a GTS-t. You still get your jdmtyte street cred and can make it look almost identical to a GT-R if you want.

>t. BNR32 owner
>>
>>15417386
If you find stock one then yes. Learn from this car DO NOT modify it
Reasons are plenty
If you only find rusted out and modded ones DO NOT buy them
>>
>>15417723
Confirmed for never owning a non M e36
>>
>>15417811
>DO NOT modify it
I don't get this meme

It's okay stock but so much better when modified.
>>
>>15417826
Stock cars are worth more.
>>
>>15417826
buying a modded car is akin to marrying a pregnant ginger meth head prostitute ridden with STD's.
>>
>>15417877
So what? What's the point of buying a car and not making it your own?

Do you not fuck your girlfriends to keep them fresher for the next guy

Oh, wait.
>/o/
>implying gf
>>
>>15417460
95%+ yes, yes they are.
Personally, I made it from age 14 to now (24) with no accidents. I fancy myself pretty responsible. I won't Fuck with my phone while I'm driving, I won't drive if I'm not completely alert, I won't drive faster than I can brake for something unexpected.. Even so I've had close calls, almost all of which weren't my fault.

But I drove cars sensible for my age, and for the most part, like a sane person. I will admit I Did plenty of low-speed landyacht driftoruus in the snow or on dirt roads though...
I Only recently got to do some high performance driving with a friend, in his car on a cone course laid across an old runway, and it was great. That's the first time I've ever properly pushed a car to its limits before, and it was an exhilarating and educational experience. I managed to get overseer at the limit, and properly correct it, and improved my times with each run, in a car I was not at all familiar with, but I've been driving in all manor of weather and road quality for ten years, and playing simcade and racing Sims with a wheel that entire time too..

I shudder to think what 16-18 year old me, with such a naive and overconfident attitude could have gotten into if I'd had some of the cars I was interested in, with so much less of the experience I have now, especially after showing myself how much I could still learn and improve.

You're much better off starting with something more on the more practical/"normal" end of the spectrum than something that will be harder to handle and repair or replace right off the bat. You've also got NO idea how much Other people can Fuck your shit right up without you being able to do a goddamned thing about it. Learn your lessons, learn what other drivers are like, get to a point where your parents aren't paying your bills and basically wiping your ass, THEN get a nice car, OP.
>>
>>15417438
Equinox would beg to differ
>>
>>15417897
Not driving your car would be analogous to not banging your girlfriend. The average modification done to these cars would be like cutting your girlfriends arms off, duct taping on some leafblowers, and shaving racing stripes in her hair. Maybe if you are a plastic surgeon you can do a nice, tasteful mod to your girlfriend but the average 20 something isn't competent to modify either a GTR or a GF
>>
99% of people will think you drive a shitty old nissan
>>
>>15417934
yes they are, stop being retarded
if they're browsing this board they're probably tuned in enough to know what is and isn't good

You're just another bus riding asshole
>>
>>15417946
>browsing /o/
>knowing anything about tuning
Pick one.
>>
>>15417946
Yea, nah
PROPER tuning isn't as simple as going on ebay and buying lowering springs
>>
>>15417944
100% of them would be right
>>
>>15417964
>>15417959

Again, you're making the wrong assumptions.
>>
>>15417973
ebin xdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxddxxdxdxdxdxdxdxddxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxdxd you win
>>
>>15417897
>I'm a ricer/boyracer who uses a False Equivalency to excuse my financially detrimental practices/opinions

It pisses me off when people make this argument about mileage too. It like you want to piss money.
>>
File: Cool.jpg (21 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
Cool.jpg
21 KB, 398x500
>>15417723
lol my first car was a $1200 E30. Just did basic maintenance and replaced the alternator in the two years I had it and it never gave me any issues whatsoever.

>tfw it always started in -30 temperatures even without being plugged in
>>
>>15417981
Maybe if you live in Japan. ''Tuning'' here is literally rice or lowering the car too much(stance)
>>
>>15417386

People will hate you if you brag about owning an R32, or if you crash it.

For your first car you should get something that will not be missed if you total it out.
>>
>>15417410
go get a job , dont borrow money you lazy twat
>>
>>15417877
They are, and I get that if that's your thing, but they can be a lot better. You can also modify them lightly so that they can easily be returned to stock.

>>15417892
I'm not saying buy a modified car I'm saying modify it yourself

>>15417897
Not the same

>>15417934
I actually agree, a lot of the owners I see do some complete shit mods to these things

>>15417987
>mileage
So not only are you not modding it, you're also not driving it?
>>
>>15417386
dont claim to have the money, you dont have the money, and you wont be buying it, your parents will be. and if they do, theyre bad parents for not making you work for your things
>>
sure dude, just don't get the gt-r unless you want to kill yourself and leave the world with one skyline less
>>
>>15418126
I never claimed to have money, and this is the reason why I am complacent
>>
File: file.gif (959 KB, 245x400) Image search: [Google]
file.gif
959 KB, 245x400
>>15417438
This entire post was bait congratulations
>>
1. Don't rev the fuck out of it
2. Don't go over 6.5-7k rpm if you have a OEM oil pump
3. Do oil change every 3000km
>>
Americans saying not to modify or buy a modified skyline... lol. These cars are old and abused, many modifications are purely upgrades of parts that needed replacing. A lot of gtr owners take great pride in their cars and don't half as modifications. On the other hand a lot of owners do half ass modifications. Everything should be judged on a car by car basis and if you deal in absolutes such as "huur all modifications ruin cars" you should just kys desu senpai

Op, r32 is a fine beginners car. I don't see how a rb20de sedan is any worse for a beginner than a maxima or whatever
>>
>>15417386
Wait a few years, once R33s become legal in US 32s will drop in price. Right now 32s are expensive everywhere because people pay good buck for them to be imported because it's the only Skyline they're gonna get.
>>
>>15417988
You made up for lack of money by being born spoiled in a different light.
In an environment where you could learn about cars and afford to make mistakes
>>
File: 1449886819951.gif (321 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1449886819951.gif
321 KB, 400x225
Will a 1988 NA z31 be okay and reliable enough ?
>>
File: 20151015_144758.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151015_144758.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>15420574
It should be, just take care of it and it should be fine.

I have a 91 240 and I do pretty basic maintenance and the car starts up every time, even when it was 27 degrees here.
>>
>>15417386
Get a GTS-t, not a GT-R. Even with your parents' wallet you won't be able to afford a GT-R with maintenance and unique parts accounted for. On the other hand there are probably enough leftover GTS-t parts to build several new Skylines from the ground up.

>I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn though
You won't learn shit here. Have a look at the sites dedicated to R32s. It'll be harder if you live in Clapistan because there's going to be less of a community surrounding them compared to Australia where we've had these for years.

Install an alarm and immobilizer. Consider some sort of kill switch too. Also don't park it out on the street. Security sucks and these are prime targets for theft.

Not the best choice for a first car but as they say, no guts no glory.

>>15417391
Why are poorfags always so salty?
>>
>>15420574
id rather a 90s civic or 90s celica than a z31
they're garbage
>>
File: iktfb.jpg (38 KB, 594x503) Image search: [Google]
iktfb.jpg
38 KB, 594x503
>is it acceptable?
This really depends on who you ask. Poorfags will give you shit for it, but honestly its not uncommon for parents to buy their kids cars much more expensive that. At least you'd be learning something by wrenching on it.

>So I just got my license att few weeks ago at 19.
if you really want the car, wait a few months and drive whatever is available to you. You need to learn to commute before you dd a car like that. Much less fuck around with it which you will.

>Is it acceptable?
Who's gonna care down the road. Better to say you had a r32 for your first car than a civic.

Don't listen to /o/ about the civic. Only poorfags tell people who aren't looking for the cheapest ride possible to get one. If you decide to go for it, just be fucking careful. You'll hate yourself if you aren't
>>
>>15417386
If you're asking if its okay, it's not.
>>
>>15417386
Honest answer from someone who owns a skyline GTR?

Yes and no.

Ignore anyone on here who is angry your parents can afford one, it's jelly bullshit.

You should respect and fear the car though and also be aware you need to make your parents pay DOUBLE what the initial price is.

There is no way in hell you'll have it running for less than double what you pay.

It's an amazing car, but it was a supercar in it's time and comes with the costs to maintain. The last owner has also 100% thrashed it, so it's going to need to be kept up to standard.

Ignore anyone saying you can't learn in a high powered car, i bought MYSELF a v8 to learn in and had no accidents because i had respect for the car.

Respect is key.
>>
>should I buy a cart that was more than likely abused
>and 25 years old
>and is renowned for rust issues
>and (if in America) cannot service
>and has a fuck ton of specialty parts

Idk OP, what do you think? If you think the upfront cost is the only thing you'll be spending, don't get it. Do your fucking research. If you didn't know about the oil pump problems and the weak oil thingy, don't even bother.
>>
>>15417386
Where do you live? If you live in the US you probably don't want to get an R32 GT-R because you cannot get normal car insurance for one, many companies will not insure a car that is not only a direct JDM import but lacking passenger side airbags or anything remotely modern and has no real parts availability in the US.

Not to mention if you're in California you need to add 10-15k to pass smog. Don't try and register out of state unless you intend on literally never getting pulled over because getting pulled over once will get you fucked hard by the police for driving an out of state car as a CA resident.

The Skyline GT-Rs in general are old, extremely complex, and while they were reliable and durable they generally aren't anymore. If you're going to buy one, do so with both eyes open and be ready to pay insane amounts of money for replacing broken parts, aging parts, and general maintenance. If your importer hasn't done any work on the car since it's come stateside prepare to have to immediately replace all rubber parts and fluids which will easily be thousands of dollars if it includes weatherstripping.

If you cheap out on the Skyline GT-R it will bite you in the ass hard, these were cars on the same level as the current Nissan GT-R in terms of cost to buy and maintain and are on a comparable level of fragility.
>>
surprised scbro hasnt been posting every picture of his R32 in this thread already
>>
>>15421039
Can we talk about how the R32 GT-R is incredibly overrated? It has a 60/40 weight distribution, the early models have a weak oil pump that fails at rev limiter, the transmission is weak as well and has very strange ratios.

The chassis is also incredibly weak and lacks any kind of rigidity. The R32 GT-R also has very poor aerodynamics stock, the front of the car has severe lift characteristics that strongly unload the front tires at speed and cause understeer in high speed corners.

ATTESA-ETS is an amazing AWD system but the R32 GT-R was honestly not a great design. People shit on the R33 but it was a massive improvement over the R32 in every way as far as function goes. The R33 to R34 was a much smaller improvement and because Nissan listened to their customers it was arguably compromised by the reduced wheelbase and worse aerodynamics.
>>
File: 1abgcxz.jpg (175 KB, 787x575) Image search: [Google]
1abgcxz.jpg
175 KB, 787x575
>>15420591
>>15420574

Really anon? Can I really do it?

>>15420631
How is a z31 worse than a civic or celica
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.