[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
classic car into an electric-first hybrid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
I suppose this is a longshot, but in a few years this might become far more easy to achieve.

I would like to take some cool classic car from 70s or 80s, remove the engine, install some low powered, efficient one that would charge batteries for (a) relatively powerful electric engine(s). I think bmw i8 uses a similar system. Would something like that be achievable in near future or is it too complex to be reliable and not prohitibitively expensive?
>>
I'm pretty sure someone already turned a Datsun Z into one of the worlds fastest electric cars.
>>
Electric is easy, hybrid is much tougher
>>
for what reason?
batteries are still heavy and a few years off from being efficient.
>>
>>15388750
that's why I want a small petrol/diesel engine keeping them powered.
>>
>>15388746
I figured as much, but purely electric would be a novelty car at best and I'd like it to be at least somewhat useful
>>
>>15388762
>that's why I want a small petrol/diesel engine keeping them powered.
So get a generator. You just need it to keep the battery charged. It doesn't have to drive the wheels.
>>
you're describing a serial hybrid and it's REALLY REALLY hard to do DIY
>>
>>15388796
in a few years time plenty of really good high density lipo cells from wrecked teslas/chevy bolts will be in junkyards for fuckcheap, just make it pure ev
>>
File: BZombieVsTeslaS-Stats_02.jpg (470 KB, 2946x778) Image search: [Google]
BZombieVsTeslaS-Stats_02.jpg
470 KB, 2946x778
Hybrids are fucking stupid.

Either live with a tiny engine and the fuel efficiency w got now or wait till batteries stop sucking dick and go full EV. There's no reason why we need both, it's just a band-aid solution.
>>
i'd probably use a 240z/260z because their stock drivetrain is somewhat anemic, but they look dope
>>
>>15389739
>in a few years time plenty of really good high density lipo cells from wrecked teslas/chevy bolts will be in junkyards for fuckcheap
No, they won't be. There are already programs in place that reclaim all these batteries. Even if one accidentally leaked through no junkyard would be stupid enough to let some clown with a sawzall try to get a battery out of a wrecked EV.
>>
>>15388735
When I was in HS we took a Triumph Spitfire and built an gas/diesel hybrid drivetrain
>Large electric motor connected to stock clutch/gearbox/diff/rear axles.
>Many many batteries under bonnet
>two cylinder gas powered generator in trunk powered the whole thing
>it drove like shit
>was too heavy
>batteries overheated then went dead
>100% torque @ 1RPM fried clutch and broke axles (weak point on Spits)
Good idea - bad execution

>I still love Spitfires and have owned about 12 since then (down to 3 now)
>>
>>15389811
the range on the max performance zombie is 50 miles
also its 0-60 isd now down to 1.8 seconds
>>
>>15388735
Cars like that are too heavy to be efficient or sporty after conversion. Fuck, the Merak and Bora were too heavy for internal combustion.

But little British sports cars or Porsche 914s have been converted with good results. All electric vehicles have tremendous torque compared to their gasoline powered competitors. They just flat out lose on range and refueling time. You're better off buying purpose built and you might be able to get your hands on a used Tesla Roadster for $50,000. Spend a little more and you can get the batteries and power train upgraded to the Model S standards with a 400+ mile range.
>>
>>15388735
just don't do that
>>
>>15388735
It will become more difficult.

Before the Nissan Leaf and Tesla Model S, there were many hobbyists in California who converted older cars to electric. There were a handful of electric car clubs, and complete conversion kits for cars like the VW Beetle could be bought online.

Now people just buy a Nissan Leaf or Tesla Model S. Even the Leaf offers more range and performance than the kits. But it would be harder to fit the electric drivetrain from a Leaf or Tesla into a conversion because the hardware and software is not configurable.
>>
>>15389859
>meanwhile, on car-part.com
>chevy volt complete battery pack, $2500
>nissan leaf battery pack, $3000
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.