[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any DSM owners/enthusiasts in /o/?? Can we have a DSM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: DSM.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
DSM.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
Are there any DSM owners/enthusiasts in /o/??
Can we have a DSM thread?

I drove a shitty automatic non turbo 1994 Eagle Talon when I was in high school and I have missed it ever since I had to sell it to be able to afford college. I have recently run into a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD at a local dealership. KBB says value is around $3,200 but the dealer wants $4k.

What is the best way to approach with an offer closer to KBB price? Should I worry about the crankwalk meme? How "rare" is a 97 TSi AWD?

Thanks /o/
>>
File: DSM.jpg (55 KB, 659x441) Image search: [Google]
DSM.jpg
55 KB, 659x441
Maybe I should also add that it is 100% unmolested and fully stock and also a 1 owner car. I still need to go see it in person and besides a little bit of rust on the body it looks to be in great condition. About 135k miles on the clock
>>
>>15384059
Buy that shit, dsms are great. Crank walk is a meme if you're at stock power
>>
>>15384084
I am really hoping to get it probably tomorrow, I just don't want to overpay for a nearly 20 year old car. Should I just straight up tell the sales guy that KBB value is much, lower than their asking price? I have always bought my cars in cash and never really had to deal with dealers before.
>>
>>15384029
>Are there any DSM owners/enthusiasts in /o/??

You'd want to talk to teamgunstar. Guy is fuckin crazy about eclipses. Probably obsessed. Likely sleeps with a full size eclipse pillow.
>>
>>15384286
that sounds pretty hot to be quite frank anon, Talons are sexier in my opinion and I get so enraged when I see a talon sodomized (when they get converted to eclipse front bumper) that I piss blood for a week straight.
>>
>>15384029
Ask dealer if you can have the car taken to shop to check it out, if they refuse walk away.
>>
>>15384325
My dad is a master tech and they claim a 5 year/100k mile warranty besides saying that all sinchros have been replaced on the transmission as well as clutch. on paper, at least, it looks like a DSM enthusiasts dream find. They have had it for over 6 months in their lot though so that much seems strange
>>
>>15384361
How do you know what work was performed? Are you just going by what they told you or did they show you receipts/proof?
>>
>>15384380
just going off of their word, but will request proof of work before signing anything
>>
>>15384389
even if they show proof, that still doesn't mean they're justified in charging 800 over KBB for a 20 year old car
>>
>>15384029
My brother loved Eagle Talons. He owned three: one that he totaled (tire blew and he drove into a light pole), one never ran, and the third he sold. I regret not buying the third one off of him, although it had never ending oil leak problems.
>>
Dunno about the car but ask yourself this:

Are you wiling to walk away from the car over 800 dollars difference? If the answer is no then I would be prepared to go in and pay that.

Also your probably better off negotiationg 4000 out the door if they won't except your offer of 3200.
>>
File: IMG_20160624_143957843_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 3149x1772) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160624_143957843_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 3149x1772
>>15384029

The crankwalk issue was solved with a revised thrust bearing design for the second half of 1997 production. As long as it's a 1997 produced in the second half of the year, you're fine. Even then, 2G's with a lot of miles on them are safe too as it would have occurred early in the engines life if it were going to occur at all. The crankwalk meme was largely blown out of proportion, and it actually affected a larger percentage of Mk 4 Supras than it did DSM's.

Also, used car prices are really high right now. This means that for dealerships to acquire, spruce up, and resell cars at a reasonable profit they are going to have to sell them for more. If it's a clean, well-documented car, that's actually a very fair price from what I've seen on DSM classifieds.
>>
>>15384589
What this guy said is the truth OP. Blue book doesn't really mean jack shit on a car like this, if it checks out 4k is a fair price not up mention you might be able to talk them down a bit
>>
>>15384589
>The crankwalk issue was solved with a revised thrust bearing design for the second half of 1997 production. As long as it's a 1997 produced in the second half of the year, you're fine. Even then, 2G's with a lot of miles on them are safe too as it would have occurred early in the engines life if it were going to occur at all. The crankwalk meme was largely blown out of proportion, and it actually affected a larger percentage of Mk 4 Supras than it did DSM's.
This. I have never seen crankwalked but mentioned casually anywhere but /o/, and any car that would have walked would have a decade plus ago. I wonder how much my bad tranny 2ga is worth. Need to sell that shit.
>>15384098
>>15384059
KBB is a meme to trick retards into trading in their cars at low prices. It literally means jack shit on any car older than 7 years.
>>15384029
Just know the manual transmissions in these cars are fucking garbage. I had a gear explode at 95k, stage 2 jacks transmission rebuild which then failed their "upgraded" double synchro second at 60k miles. All at stock power. The shit transmissions are not a meme.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.