[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So why don't American truckers ever drive something like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: scania.jpg (53 KB, 540x400) Image search: [Google]
scania.jpg
53 KB, 540x400
So why don't American truckers ever drive something like pic related? Why always a 50ft semi-trailer?

You could have a 50 feet trailer + like 30+ft in the truck and retain the same maneuverability.
>>
Americans are stupid
>>
>>15379075
Probably has to do with the distances the trucks here travel and how those loads would affect efficiency.
>>
File: 1363386746430.jpg (135 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1363386746430.jpg
135 KB, 800x500
>>15379089
Like clockwork
>>
>>15379101
I am American
>"bro I don't care about euro vs us flame wars"
>saves images pertaining to euro vs us flame wars
See? You are stupid man so just kill yourself
>>
>>15379112
>he points out that argument is onesided and silly
>tells him to kill himself
LOL
>>
>>15379075
American trucks aren't subject to the same length restrictions euro trucks are.

Hence why euro trucks like the Scania you posted are compact and maximise cargo space but American trucks are long and not COE usually.
>>
>>15379098
Did you just type a bunch of words and hope they'd make sense?
>>15379139
I don't think you understood OP. He/she was asking why there seems to be an overwhelming amount of dual axle semis in the states, and not much else.
>>
>>15379075
it's not always a 53 footer. there are some accounts that I manage that use pup trailers or 48 footers to get into small locations.

I would agree that you increase your maneuverability, but you also gain a lot more wheels. More wheels = more potential mechanical problems and just more to deal with in general (for example, loading two trailers instead of one).

And I guess sometimes it depends. Is it easier to fit a single load on two pups or one 53 footer? Say you have 26 pallets of whatever, it's probably easier to load just running them all onto one trailer instead of doing multiple.

I guess the answer to your question really depends on a lot of stuff dependent on the load and as someone else said the distance traveled.
>>
File: 106_2373.jpg (59 KB, 1024x747) Image search: [Google]
106_2373.jpg
59 KB, 1024x747
>>15379075
Different regulations for tractors and tow motors. OP is a tow motor, and other than pintle/saucer car haulers, they generally aren't used because their weight limits are so restricted by the bridge formula and other factors.

Also, why would you want 80' of cargo space when most loads hit gross weight within 8-45'?

>>15379184
Only takes 5 axles to hit gross weight limits in most states. There are exceptions like pic related, but those limits are grandfathered in.
>>
>>15379075
trailers aren't always owned by the truck's owner, they can work on contract. no point in having a bed of a truck you don't use.
Also you can switch to different types of loads easier, again without wasting space in half the vehicle.
>>
>>15379243
>Only takes 5 axles to hit gross weight limits in most states
I that answered OP's question.
4 4 T O N N E S
T
O
N
N
E
S
>>
>>15379254
>>15379243
Top kek. Even here in Finland a truck like in OP can weigh 76 tonnes (167,5k lbs)

Length limit is 25,25m (~83ft), would that be allowed?
>>
>>15379334
In the US? As long as the trailer isn't longer than 53', yeah.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.