[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/, I'm looking into buying a used truck for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (1 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 KB, 225x225
Hey /o/, I'm looking into buying a used truck for the first time, Idealy under 10 grand and under 100k in miles, I know that limits me quite a bit but I've found good deals. I've read the guide in the sticky but it doesn't tell me a lot

My question is does anybody have any experiences with Dodges breaking down? They're so much cheaper I'm worried I'll just end up shoveling a bunch of money to maintain it. I'll only be hauling tree branches and furniture occasionally so I don't need that much hauling power, and it'll mostly get highway miles.

Tl,dr: Do Dodge Trucks break down significantly more than ford, Chevy, and Toyota?
>>
>>15376092
Why do you need a truck?
>>
>>15376145
he cant afford a trailer
>>
Craigslist, spend 2k and you'll get a solid truck. Don't plan on daily driving it though
>>
You just brought up Toyota and no Tundra or Tacoma has broken ever broke down! You're seriously comparing a Dodge to Toyota reliability? Now if you're comparing Dodge to the other 2 American trucks then that's something different.
>>
>>15376145
I have to move out to my moms to help her through some shit and she lives out in the country in Kansas. I'll need a truck to drive through snow and mud and shit to do some farm work. Also to haul boxes and furniture and shit when we start getting her ready to move
>>
>>15376152
the thing is when winter rolls around I will need to drive it daily because be Solara doesn't do too well.
>>15376155
Yeah my dad has always bought Toyota and he's never had a problem but I can't afford one really. So I guess yeah I'm asking if Dodge breaks down more than Chevy or Ford
>>
File: Toyota Tundra 1st gen.jpg (774 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Toyota Tundra 1st gen.jpg
774 KB, 1600x1200
>they don't know
>>
>>15376092
I've owned a 98 Sierra, 99 Silverado and currently an 02 Sierra. All 3 trucks have been rock solid reliable. I sold the 98 to a friend who needed a truck for work and some faggot stole the 99 and wrecked it. The 02 has 280k on it and the only things I've had to do are a new alternator at 200k and a water pump at 220k. Otherwise it's been routine maintenance.

My BIL though, had an 09 Ram he bought used with 47k miles on it, it has 110k now. He's had to replace the intake manifold, two O2 sensors, a window regulator and most recently the transfer case has been making a weird noise he hasn't figured out yet.

So based on my limited pool of 1 Dodge vs 3 GM, it's not looking so good for the Dodge. Internet research says the Dodge is less reliable too. YMMV
>>
>>15376182
>they don't know
That it's niggered out and not yours?
>>
>>15376189
What do you think a safe mileage to by a used truck at is? I've read never buy anything over a 100k and I've also read it doesn't really matter if it's good condition. I just don't really know how to tell if it's good condition cause I've never bought a truck before
>>
>>15376200
we both know it depends on the previous owner
i would buy one with 150k miles on it if it was in great shape, good exhaust with no rust.
>>
File: tundra consumer reports.png (102 KB, 238x590) Image search: [Google]
tundra consumer reports.png
102 KB, 238x590
>>15376194
>this salty
>>
>>15376200
I bought all mine with less than 100k on them, but based on the miles I've put on the 02, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one with more than 100k if it's been maintained properly.

I'd say the standard advice applies: ask for maintenance records, and have an inspection done by a good mechanic before you fork over money. I've done that many times and the 80 bucks or so they charge to look at a truck I'm sure has saved me lots of money. Example: Before I bought the 99, I found another 98 that only had 36k on it and looked in great shape. Previous owner had all the maintenance records too. Took it to get inspected and the shop found all kinds of shit wrong with, mainly from having been in a pretty bad wreck. Goes without saying I walked away from that deal.
>>
>>15376162
Make do with your current car. Then rent a truck when it's time to move. Duh
>>
>>15376092
>Fiat Chrysler anything
>>
Ive had a lot of issues with the rams in my fleet, chevys and fords have been reliable as hell, only needing batteries, tires and brakepads to keep going.
>>
>>15376092
Get a 12v Cummins and a block heater, good to go for 5,000,000 miles +
>>
>>15379310
I'd buy anything srt8 but that's it
>>
>>15376092
Get the ford f150 with a 4.6l triton those are bulletproof engines
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.