[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey auto Cars are a foreign language to me. Every time my husband
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (338 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
338 KB, 640x1136
Hey auto
Cars are a foreign language to me. Every time my husband says anything about our vehicles I don't understand.
When I go to get an oil change my husband taught me to just say no to everything because mechanics take advantage of women because we are car idiots. Not arguing that.
So auto besides the "for dummies" line of books...
What are some books or resources I could find and read to learn about cars in general, from how they work and how to build one from parts?
Yes I am ambitious but I really want to learn and would love to build a car with my husband but I know nothing.
Thanks for listening to me!
>>
File: 1425855235283.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1901) Image search: [Google]
1425855235283.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1901
>>15359241
You can start by memorizing lap times. Here's your first lesson: A Corvette Z06 is slower than a GTR Nismo
>>
>>15359304
Wut
>>
>>15359241
EricTheCarGuy on Youtube
>>
>>15359345
It's a meme. Everyone knows Nissan fags are just salty because they paid way too much for jap scrap.
>>
File: 1446248702815.png (96 KB, 851x1098) Image search: [Google]
1446248702815.png
96 KB, 851x1098
>>15359354
You pay for being faster, dumbass.

gtr>corvette
>>
>>15359379
top gear is a higher overdrive than the nissan, that's a pointless comparison
>>
File: GTRたわごと.png (278 KB, 628x671) Image search: [Google]
GTRたわごと.png
278 KB, 628x671
weekly reminder
>>
File: Audi_Shit8.jpg (500 KB, 2244x1133) Image search: [Google]
Audi_Shit8.jpg
500 KB, 2244x1133
>>15359387
>no! it doesn't count!
It's still slower, retard.
>>15359391
>faster around willow springs
Are you done posting photoshoped lap times?
>>
>>15359387
He's used to Japanese pieces of shit that need to be at 5k rpm just to hold hoghway speed. Let him have his delusions, but trying to confuse the poor lady like this is just mean. If she parrots what he's saying she'll just look even more unknowledgeable.
>>
>>15359391
fucking rekt
I love watching gtr fangirls squirm after this gets posted.
>>
>>15359391
>>15359395
what the source on the 1. 25 00 ?
>>
File: 46945.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
46945.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>15359402
k
>>15359404
>photoshoped lap times
k
>>15359414
It's made up. They're just anal bothered that GM can't compete.
>>
>>15359414
Randy Pobst
>>
>>15359430
>>15359395
>>15359418
k thanks
and V6 >V8 i guess
>>
File: CORVETTE_BTFO.png (934 KB, 831x613) Image search: [Google]
CORVETTE_BTFO.png
934 KB, 831x613
>>15359465
indeed
>>
This forum is not the place to learn automoblie basics, but there are many resources online. A bit of basic internal combustion engine theory is a good start. I like Youtube videos as training aids when I show noobs a task.

I suggest you begin learning about YOUR car so you have a tactile and visual reference. Many men are lousy at explaining things automotive even if they are good at performing maintenance. Bear with him. Men are simple creatures.

You could buy a Haynes, Clymer or Chilton service manual and use it to become familiar with the parts of your car, their functions, and how to check fluid levels and condition. Even the most complex vehicle maintenance breaks down into small, simple steps. If you learn efficiently you may catch or pass your husband. My late wife was an Air Force helicopter mechanic, a skilled motorcycle mechanic, and thanks to being fearless at trying new shit became a professional car and bike painter. The key is patient determination.

Brand-specific vehicle forums are a good way to learn about your ride, and since you've survived 4chan trolls and retards won't bother you.

BTW a key to domestic bliss for us was separate tool boxes. We shared expensive gear like compressors and welders, but tool preferences are more personal.

You'll have large fun and grow as a person. I've trained many aircraft mechs of both sexes, and some welders. (Women often have better fine motor coordination than men.)
>>
ITT: everybody replying to bait
>>
>>15359241
buy or download the mechanics manual for the car you own, do as much work as you can on it yourself. make some car friends, they can help you when you need extra hands.
>>
>>15359391
Wait, why is it surprising that a car that has 50 more hp, 60 more torque, and weighs 200lbs less is faster around tracks and in general?

I own a Fiesta ST, that would be like me expecting to be faster around a track than a Focus ST stock for stock. That's just dumb regardless of cost.
>>
>>15360355
Corvette is harder to drive, doesn't get as good of a takeoff compared to AWD. Costs far less in the US, a bit less in other nations. Might actually cost more than the GTR in japan
>>
>>15360355
It's not surprising that a shitty corvette rapes Japans fastest production car, it's just funny.
>>
BTW ignore statsfags while learning automotive principles. You won't learn anything useful from statistical pissing contests. Learn principles and how things work. The rest will follow.
>>
>>15359241
torks > horsepower
>>
>>15359352
This. And start doing your own oil changes. Plenty of youtube videos that walk you through it.
>>
>>15360378
it doesn't though
>>
>>15359241
Work in a shop.

Basically to the non-greasy/non-dirty all shops are dishonest.
Your average shop is as dishonest as any other business you interact with.

Any time people change your oil they're gonna check other things. If the vehicle was in the air, they may check suspension. If people can't actually show you what's wrong or appear to be struggling to explain why you should probably be hesitant or look the problem up.

Sales associates usually are just trying to meet numbers, most won't lie their asses off to you. Mechanics are usually hungry for labor money. I've never met a "evil" or "dishonest" mechanic. I've met lazy mechanics, and mechanics that don't actually know how to fix things, but never any that just try to rip you off. Reason being they actually have to put some effort and time into it, and most of those 2 things are devoted to making money.
>Hubby may be totally right or know as little as you do and just attempt to avoid getting ripped off to look wiser.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.