[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /o/. Probably not the best place to ask this but I dont think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: bernie2016.png (136 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
bernie2016.png
136 KB, 1600x900
Hey /o/. Probably not the best place to ask this but I dont think any other board can answer it.
I'm look into older engines, specifically hit or miss. I want to build a super efficient and simple generator out of one or maybe another simple older engine. In my area and for probably the last 50 years, you can get drip gas from a natural gas well. Basically its cruder not so nice gasoline, octane of 40-50. Beyond the oldest of old engines from the late 19th and early 20th century is anything modern that can have a low enough compression ratio to run that? Quality varies but you can be picky and find higher quality stuff, thats clearer and cleaner. Up to around 60 octane. Thoughts? Basically super mexico gas.
>>
Don't N/A rotaries do great with low octane?

Also a motor that wont mind running at a fixed RPM for a long time. People use them for aviation.
>>
bump. Basically the same compression ratio as kerosene.
>>
>>15350324
E C O B O O S T
C
O
B
O
O
S
T
>>
>>15350340
That looks expensive or at least when i google it, brings up mazda racing cars and enthusiast sites.

Dunno, looking for older engines I might be able to get cheap. Especially simple ones. Can a modern engine be modified to run on a lower compression? Mostly interest in using it as a generator.
>>
File: A-GASTURBINEMK25-3.jpg (62 KB, 614x409) Image search: [Google]
A-GASTURBINEMK25-3.jpg
62 KB, 614x409
Use an old turbo as a gas turbine? That would also work OP
>>
>>15350324
Just use a Lister D or similar because they run forever on anything from super unleaded to Tractor Vapourising Oil.
>>
>>15350359
A 12A or 13B is super cheap. 79-91 RX-7s are pretty much throw away cars in [CURRENT YEAR]
>>
>>15350359
why not just buy an old-ass engine?

Or just buy any old shitbox engine and fuck with the timing until it works "ok"
>>
>>15350366
you shut your whore mouth
>>
>>15350366
Mite b cool, if it can stomach the gas i basically ride for free. Although it can be stinky, if a cop smells it he may pull me over but than again they probably might just think i have a shit engine and have no idea what drip gas is.

>>15350365
I thought the lister D only came in 1.5 HP?
>>
You don't need a new engine.
Get a Yanmar or Lombardini. They will run on shit fuel. But you may need higher octane to start the engine and get it running.

Also, look into older diesels.
Perkins 4.108, Datsun SD22 Ford York 4AA, BMC 1500/1800.

The above are car and truck engines sold mostly in Europe/UK but were used on yachts and as water pump motors and shit like that. So they can be found in the US too.

It would help if you told us your country.
>>
>>15350397
>You don't need a new engine
I meant you don't need an OLD engine
>>
>>15350397
Us, east coast.

Diesel i dont think will work. I want to go with gasoline since I can basically get free gas from natural gas wells. A lot of them in the area even have a mechanical pump to empty the tanks. Usually has more than 500 gallons in the tank a month. They dont even lock them, they cant give it or sell it because of epa regulations. So they let workers take it when no ones looking.
>>
>>15350403
Primarily looking for simple and cheap. Likely to be small. The first purpose is to get a stationary engine working. Once i find out how well the gas works and its nuances, work on getting and older car to work on it.
>>
I did find that some outboard motors on boats have low compression ratios.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.