[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trauma surgeon from an Eastern European country here. Ask me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 10
Trauma surgeon from an Eastern European country here.

Ask me anything on the injuries/mechanisms or whatever else could be related to car/bike crashes and you might want to know.
>>
Have you ever thought that Darwin was right and to hell with it all?
>>
>>15340555

Mostly with bikers, but I uphold the Hippocratic oath.
Besides there chances are bad anyway.
>>
Older cars/cars with less safeties than modern cars.
For the risk, is the potential injuries worth it?

Fiat 500; how fucked is some girl going to be if she gets a collision with this blob of a car.

Should I get the glass in my car replaced with some form of shatter resistant plastic or does it not make much difference in a crash?
>>
>>15340564
Depends on brand and models, old Volvo's are usually still pretty decent because the interior compartiment doesn't crush easily which keeps the steering wheel away from you.

If you hit the steering wheel that's usually game over: your large vessels can rupture, your lungs can bruise beyond repair, you can get a severe hematothorax, your can have a myocardial contusion, etc...

New 500? If she hits an object herself: pretty good (depending on speed), they are though little cars with a strong shell, the short deceleration can rupture stuff and her seatbelt will give rise to abdominal injuries but better then being crushed.

If she hits a large SUV then her chances are worse. Mass is a killer.

Keep the glass, plastic can buckle and invade the interior.
>>
Helmet without HANS on track days, yes or no? I have a padded rollcage and I'm wondering if the added safety for my head is worth the additional load on my neck.
>>
>>15340555
Fuck Darwin and braaaap
>>
>>15340574

HANS > no Hans, a head is top heavy already without a helmet and in a crash will fling about crazily, easily injuring the cervical spine which can easily lead to paralysis or worse a dislocation of the vertebra with spinal cord transection which results in death.

HANS keeps your cervical spine from excessive and violent motions.

Your padded roll cage will not stop your cervical spine from flexing.
>>
>>15340540
What would you do scenario

>motorcycle crash
>victim comes in with RT Talus fracture (it's in half)
>RT ankle swollen ~4x normal signs, tests show early signs of compartment syndrome
Go
>>
>>15340598
>signs
Size
>>
>>15340540
If I was doing 120mph, and I hit a car head on that is doing 60mph, and I am ejected from the window, through a barbed wire fence and into a field, how dead should I be? And what if I was doing 60?
>>
>>15340591
On some track days like the Touristenfahrten on the Nürburgring, HANS is forbidden, because it makes turning your head around to look impossible. I'm usually still wearing my helmet on such track days, but I thought better having a wound on my head or some minor trauma than a broken neck. The rollcage should at least make up a safe space for my body.
>>
Would you ever recommend a motorcycle or are they just suicide machines?
>>
>>15340598

ABC first, (yes we use ATLS here) check for Pelvis fracture, reg. trauma series for imaging.

Then get some x-ray's on that foot. If compartment > fasciotomy and external fixture and a referral for the orthopaedic surgeon.
>>
>>15340605

Quite dead in both cases. But who knows, you might be the lucky exception.

>>15340606

I didn't know that, makes sense from the perspective that it's public driving and you aren't supposed to go a million miles an hour and anything you do is your own fault. With better visibility you mitigate potential crashes but HANS let's you survive them.
Ethical debate really.

>>15340609

Motorbikers are nice leather sacks filled with donor-organs.
You are always fucked on a bike.
>>
whats the worst crash youve seen? whats the worst you have seen somebody survive?
>>
Have you yourself been in a crash?
>>
What car do you drive? Bike?
Do you like to do hektik skidzz?
>>
what is best kind of vehicle to get in a crash with, like a giant suv or a new model sedan etc?
>>
>>15340626
> you are always fucked on a bike

that's why you avoid accidents
>>
File: 1385916252721.jpg (30 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
1385916252721.jpg
30 KB, 500x282
>>15340634
Not OP but it's well established the safest car in the world, period, is the Tesla Model S. It actually broke the rating scale when tested and was scored a 5.5 out of 5
>>
>>15340640
Ohboyherewego.gif
>>
Hey there!

What can be done if I find my leg trapped after a crash in the dashboard?

Pardon the English.
>>
>>15340628
Biker who apparently flung of his bike and hit a big truck.
He was a four double amputee when he arrived in the trauma room with mush for a body, all his organs pelvis and ribs were shattered, miraculously he still had a pulse but passed away quickly.

Worst situation someone recovered from was being run over by a big lorry.
We had to perform a thoracotomy for heart tamponade (picture in OP) which has about a 2% survival rate in blunt thoracic trauma. She had an entire deglovement of the chest. shattered pelvis.
We did DCS, filled her with our entire blood bank and somehow she made it.

>>15340630
Yes, but I drive a Volvo SUV, so little happened to me.

>>15340633
Volvo XC90 T8. I still own a bike from before my studies but I don't drive it anymore.

>>15340634
Giant Volvo's.

>>15340640
I see how that turns out for them, they still crash more frequently then Americans leaving cars & coffee in a Mustang.

>>15340642
I give you better chances in the new Volvo XC90, there's a reason I bought it. I want my family to be safe. Not to say that the Tesla is bad, it's very good also.

>>15340652
Call your local emergency service.
>>
I've sometimes wondered on long trips, if I am sitting in the passengers seat in the front, and I have a few seconds to react to the crash (head on, or collision into a pole, or a wall), what should I do with my body? Is there a position I can take to make sure I get off with the least amount of harm?
>>
>>15340668
>I give you better chances in the new Volvo XC90,
When they went to test the Tesla's roof strength for a roll over crash, it broke the machine. It was estimated the Tesla Model S could have 5 modre Model S's on its roof before starting to buckle. Mind you this is a sedan that weight 2 and a half tons. They're incredibly strong.

And the Tesla has something else over the Volvo XC90. You can't roll it over. They tried when doing crash testing, but it's so heavy and the center of gravity was so low they couldn't do it. They had to build a special machine just to flip the Tesla.

The Tesla Model S is so overbuilt for safety that it makes Volvo engineers blush.
>>
>>15340705

Don't tense up, but you will regardless. Don't put your hands or feet out, try to sit like a crash test dummy.
Better to be asleep or really drunk.

>>15340726

Unless you drive a old or crappy cars roll-overs don't really kill you never seen anyone die from them on my table at least. A lot of the energy of the crash is expended making the car go upside down.

Whilst it did very well other have received the same ratings, and had more favorable reports overall, than the Tesla S.
Look at the Euro NCAP ratings which are very detailed.
Tesla = 5 stars, XC90 = 5 stars.
Occupant safety:
Tesla = 82%, XC90 = 97%

But that is all for beta engineering buffoons.

Tesla's are low and will slide under trucks.
>>
>>15340640
You might be able to avoid accidents by being a good driver, but your skill won't protect you if Sue with her five kids in her MPV cuts you off whilst changing lanes at 100 km/h.
>>
>>15340540
How long did it take you to become desensitized to all the fucked up shit you see? Is there anything that bothers you still as far as trauma goes ?
>>
>>15340540
Do you ever feel guilty if a patent dies on your table? Maybe thinking if you'd done something differently, you could have saved them?
>>
>>15340777

Or if someone slams the brakes infront of you.
Happens very often, the biker's crotch then slams against his gas tank which can lead to a fractured pelvis. which is very dangerous, a fractured pelvis can lead to massive internal bleeding.

>>15340783
Videos are worse then real life. but the thing that keeps on bothering me are children. Not just because of what you see but also because of the parents.
>>
Is it true that men are extremely likely to lose their junk in a motorcycle crash?
>>
>>>15340793
I'm sure. As a parent, that would be the ultimate pain. Just to see that pain in someone would probably be pretty difficult.
>>
>>15340790

I used to rather frequently, it still sucks but I came to terms with the fact that I'm just human and there's only so much we can do. Besides we have a protocolled system which makes decisions easy and based on findings. So there's usually not a question of what to do but if we should do it.

>>15340799
The penis is a squishy member, can handle a lot. Your pelvis may shatter but your cock will usually keep on going.
Tuck upwards for safety

>>15340809
It's the worst bringing the news, never gets any easier.
>>
I used to be an EMT, albeit in the USA.

Can you tell me what pet peeves you have in terms of dealing with them, if any.
>>
>>15340540
Thanks for sharing OP. This has been an interesting thread.
>>
>>15340835

EMT's generally think they are hot shots.
You guys can't intubate, neither can I, only anaesthesiologists can, just don't think you can.
You guys always put the pelvic binder way too high.
Everyone according to you lot apparently has cervical trauma.
And you apply tourniquets for a small scrape.

And in general to fluffy when doing a summary. I want vitals, ABC, progression of vitals, what you did and mechanism of injury, not the patients relations with his daughters friends hairdresser and spare me your /dd

What you lot do is great, it's just that everyone in medicine thinks they are the best whilst we trauma surgeons actually are... oh wait.
>>
>>15340777
I read somewhere that no matter how good the biker and how good the driver is in a crash, gravity always wins in the best case scenarios for a bike crash.

Ergo; even the perfect crash for a biker still fucks them up.

>>15340826
What are the worst car brands for crashes, in your opinion?
>>
Do u have to work under pressure lots
>>
>>15340626
There's being lucky enough to be not dead, and then there's literally only having a bit of amnesia, a broken jaw, left arm and right wrist. I was back in full time work two months later. I just don't remember the accident and there was a suggestion I was doing 120, but I think I quite clearly wasn't.
>>
>>15340873

Tiny cars, old cars, tiny old cars from the 90's are death traps. They weight nothing, the crumble like cookie.

>>15340878

Yes, but most of that pressure is alleviated by the ATLS protocol which gives us a hold-on.

>>15340882

It happens occasionally, very very lucky for you, we once had a mention of an accident, which was so bad we prepped the large trauma-team including some extra people, pre-initiated the massive transfusion protocol and the guy only had a tiny cruries fracture and some scratches despite being flung from his car onto the pavement.
>>
>>15340878
I'm pretty sure the threat of his patient dieing on his hands would be considered pressure........
>>
>>15340919
classic cars all death traps?
>>
>>15340934
exceptions being old Volvo's, Saturn's, and Fiero's. The Fiero is the safest classic car you can buy without airbags.
>>
>>15340540
Have you ever had to prioritize patents due to a large influx of incoming victims?
>>
>>15340864
>You guys can't intubate, neither can I, only anaesthesiologists can, just don't think you can.
Really? What happens if someones airways are collapsed shouldn't they be allowed to do it
>>
>>15340937
Pontiac Fiero?
>>
>>15340946
Yes. The chassis was extremely overbuilt. None of the body panels are load-bearing. You can remove all the plastic body panels and drive it around with no detriment to safety. They used a high-tech steel space-frame which was constructed much like the roll cage of a race car.
>>
>>15340937
Got rear ended by a guy in a Fiero when I was a kid. My mother was driving an 87 Camaro and dude rear ended us while stopped at an intersection doing about 60. The cops said judging by the skid marks from his attempts stop he'd been doing almost 80 when he saw us. His nose literally threw our ass up and out of the way, though the differential opened his roof like a tuna can. Only damage to the Camaro was a bent frame and the back seat got broken from the speaker box my mother had in the trunk.
>>
>>15340959
Is that why everything is a fiero with a bodykit?
>>
>>15340966
Yup.
>>
>>15340963
Reverse the positions (Camaro rear ending a Fiero) and your mother likely would've been killed.
>>
>>15340611
Neat, that's nearly exactly what they did, except for the external fixture. I ended up (2.5 years later) with a total ankle fusion.

In this order
>fasciotomy
>corrective surgery (two screws in Talus)
>skin graft
>tibiotalar fusion
>subtalar fusion
>>
>>15340864

I am a paramedic in Florida, Paramedics here are allowed to intubate

AMA
>>
>>15341013
Where in FL
>>
Where you from op?
>>
>>15341044

I won't give exact location due to my employer but Iive on the west coast
>>
>>15341050
Worst you've dealt with? Any "helpful" passerbys?
>>
>>15340919
Is 1991 Toyota Celica SX (GT for you Americans) safe or not?
>>
>>15341062
death trap.
>>
>>15341068
Cool, at least I know now.
>>
I recently got a motorcycle and this thread has scared me more than anything else I've read about safety so far.

So far I have been practicing ATGATT but I feel like that doesn't do so much in real collision. I read that pelvic fracture are one of the most serious injuries in bike accident since alot of nerves run through there. To mitigate that I bought a pair of dainese pelvic protection undershorts that have armor all around the the legs and a hard plastic piece protecting the coccyx (sp?). Will this realistically protect me from some damage or are bike really just s death trap no matter what you're wearing ?
>>
>>15340934
Just not Volvo's and old Land Rovers.
>>15340942
Triage in large events isn't done by me, so no, those decisions are hard because protocol doesn't care for emotions.
>>15340992
We usually slap on external fixtures because that's quick easy and I can do it. We try to minimise the initial surgery time to 1-1,5 hours, it's better for the patient because he can recover a bit and our orthopedic guy can make very proper detailled assessment and prepare the next surgery well.
>>15340945
>>15341013
Wel I don't mean you can't but usually emt's are very bad at intubating. Got my language a bit messed up there.
They do it too little too be good at it.
>>15341045
Close to Russia.
>>
>>15341061

> Worst you've dealt with?

1/2

As a general rule of thumb its thats not really a good question to ask people working in this field because we see and deal with so much fucked up shit and they're discovering that we can become subject to PTSD just like military can. I'm okay with it though. Im early on in my career so its not too juicy yet but here are the highlights:

> entire family wakes up on a sunday morning to find that dad died of a cardiac arrest (we worked him for 30 min. before pronouncing him dead while they watched the entire thing)
> miscarriage at a burger king restroom
> motorcyclist got shot in the head by a shotgun, gunman shot him for no apparent reason (you would think it was road rage or a drug deal gone bad but the investigation revealed it was completely random) his helmet strap was inside his head
> guy completely covered in his own shit having a non stop seizure: his piece of shit wife sleeps in a different bedroom on the other side of the house and didn't know how long he had been like this
> motorcyle accident victim experienced lung collapse, we attempted to decompress his chest using IV needles but didn't work, as soon as he was in the trauma room at the ER the trauma surgeon cut open his chest (without any sort of anesthetic) and split his ribs open to evacuate the air which was compressing his lung. I have never heard someone scream so loud and while I generally try not to emphasize with the pain my patient's experience (this keeps the sanity) I almost fainted at this one because I put myself in this guy's shoes.
>>
>>15340966
>>15340980
>>15340959
tfw you drive a fiero :$
>>
>>15341061

2/2

We have pain medications we can give people, however, we generally don't use them because we're too busy attempting life saving procedures and re-evaluating to see if those procedures worked (we tend to drive pretty fast while this is happening so we won't get the luxury of time to draw up the medication, oh and we're required to ask the patient if they might be allergic to this medication and in this situation the patient was not lucid enough to communicate. Often times the patient's traumatic condition may also contraindicate the use of those medications due to loss of blood pressure.

> Any "helpful" passerbys?

Passerby's don't usually help us, let me explain. If you see something and want to communicate the problem to us the biggest thing we ask is give the 911 dispatcher the exact location and be extremely descriptive of what is going on.Often times we get called out to a dude sleeping on a bus bench. Nine out of ten times that's a bum taking a nap, and there's no need for cops, fire/ems to get involved. The bum hears the sirens and wakes up, goes and hide behind an alley way or hops on a bus and we spend time looking for him which is a huge waste of time and resources - let the bum take a nap. If you see something substantial like a car accident then always always ALWAYS give an accurate location of the crash one car in the right hand shoulder of the north bound lane just NORTH of the intersection of elm street and main street the other pulled off into the gas station on the corner. Try to give the dispatcher a heads up of how many people there were in the car, give a description of the vehicles involved and the amount of damage.

Just give as much info as possible really. I don't really encourage people to stop for emergencies because even if you have any sort of training or you're an off duty fire/police/paramedic, you don't have any equipment to assist. What works best is if you deliver very detailed information to the 911 dispatcher.
>>
>>15341096
Forgot name.
>>15341062
No, but better then most earlier cars.

>>15341082
Forget about your nerves, that is for a later time, pelvis fractures kill you because of massive venous haemorrhage, leading to shock and death.
Coccyx doesn't bleed nearly as much.

Your pelvic shorts will help against big bruises, if the force is enough it will still break, and in many cases the pelvic fracture occurs due to the leg shooting up.

Worst case Pelvic is open book fracture, (which happens mostly to motorcyclist when they hit the tank with their groin, then you can wiggle everything around and sometimes the groin is split.

If you suspect a pelvic injury, don't wiggle it, and don't let the patient try and move.

Femur fractures are also dangerous, you can quickly lose 1.5 litre of blood from a femur fracture.

>>15341106
> motorcyle accident victim

Bad practise from surgeon, a thoracostomy with drain would be enough, I see no reason to split ribs? Unless he did a thoracotomy which is a last resort and you definitely don't do on a patient with an EMV above 3.
Btw we don't even do needle decompression in the ER since it doesn't even work properly.
>>
>>15341138

The needles were used en route to the hospital. The trauma surgeon placed a chest tube inside and he was later anesthetized. I don't know much beyond that because I became sick and never bothered to follow up.
>>
>>15341144

Probably thought he was cool hot shot doc then. if he has a decompressed lung you are having a mask with 15L of 100% O2 on him anyway and plenty of time to let anaesthesiologist do a RSI and intubation before making the incisions.
>>
>>15341154

I forgot to mention that there was another trauma patient in the next room that needed emergency surgery so while he was preparing to go to the OR our patient came in
>>
>>15341162

Don't you have at least a minimum of two trauma teams in the US?

My hospital isn't even a lvl 1 trauma centre and we have always four teams available. with four trauma rooms of which two hybrid.
>>
>>15340864
If someone loses a leg or an arm does a good tourniquet or two completely stop the bleeding?
>>
Fuck off with this disgusting photo.

Someone please ban this motherfucker.
>>
>>15341170

It depends on the trauma hospital (and state regulations)

in the case of the motorcyclist it seemed like he was by himself, but there was a time where a pedestrian got hit by a bus with massive pelvic trauma and he had the ER doctor, trauma doctor, and anesthetist providing his initial care PRIOR to going to surgery
>>
>>15341061
>Any "helpful" passerbys?
not in the medical profession myself.
My sister used to be an EMT. One night, around 9PM, we were walking out of a Subway after getting dinner to bring home. Just about to open the car door to get in, when I see something small coming out of the corner of my eye. Guy on a cruiser bike was speeding through the main thoroughfare just as a SUV (A black Nissan Xterra) was coming out of the Subway parking lot.
BAM!
My sister went into EMT mode and went to help the motorcycle rider. Oddly enough, another woman ran from the parking lot to help. Turns out she was an off-duty nurse from the hospital literally a mile up the road. I called 911, put our shit in the car and calmed down the mother and daughter in the SUV while my sister and the other woman stabilized the motorcycle rider until the ambulance could come.

Motorcycle rider tried to sue me a year or so later saying I caused the accident. It was thrown out for making 0 sense. Just a nigger trying to make money off an accident caused by his own stupidity. If it weren't for my sister and the other woman, He'd have likely died.
>>
>>15341096
Baltics?
>>
Tell me about your most difficult patients.
And can you compare from experience how much difference a seatbelt can make?
>>
>>15341184
Wat? You didn't even open the door and he tried to sue you?

Did he see that he wouldn't get anything from the SUV lady and tried to go after someone that he could soak a good payout from?
>>
>>15341177
Aww did your feelings get hurt?
>>
File: 1.jpg (118 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
118 KB, 960x720
>>15341177
Are you 9 or something?
>>
Med student here, cool thread

Do you have any advice for a kid starting clinical rotations?
>>
>>15341211
The car, a Chevy Monte Carlo Z34, was parked on the street. He claimed the SUV couldn't see him coming because a woman in an SUV couldn't see over the car. Which is bullshit. It was thrown out because the car is so low, no one, especially in an SUV, has trouble seeing over it.
There were spots on that area for parking on the street so it was legal. After that accident, the town changed it and there's now a no parking sign there. But at the time it was perfectly legal.

>>15341211
>Did he see that he wouldn't get anything from the SUV lady and tried to go after someone that he could soak a good payout from?
Bingo. He tried a second time, and that was thrown out too. Basically anyone who's name appeared on that police report, he tried to sue. Anything to show he wasn't at fault for speeding.
>>
>>15341224

> Bingo. He tried a second time, and that was thrown out too. Basically anyone who's name appeared on that police report, he tried to sue. Anything to show he wasn't at fault for speeding.

What kind of shit lawyer would take that case? Most lawyers that deal with accidents work on contingency and that's a pretty fucking weak case to take for a contingency
>>
>>15341176
Most amputations no need, the vessels will constrict and you will hardly lose blood, will look very dramatic so people will look after that patient first even though his care can wait (if there are other patients) because it's a C. problem.

>>15341177
That's a thoracotomy, probably the coolest procedure we can do.

>>15341179
oke, I've done a fellowship in the u.s. and the thing that struck me how unstreamlined care was on a national level, it was filled with local guidelines and regulations instead of a nationwide approach.
A lot of countries should look at the Netherlands, their trauma care is probably the best in the world. If I'd ever had to choose for a place to get a multiple trauma injury it would be Amsterdam.

>>15341184
>calmed down the mother and daughter in the SUV

That's very good of you, most passerby's do nothing or too much in their inability. But comforting people is something most people can do.

>>15341192
Higher up.

>>15341197
Most difficult patients are those with multiple problems which all need attention, we do DCS, damage control surgery which means: get them sort of stable in 1-1,5 hours and to the ICU. Then it's just waiting until they get a bit better, but most of the problems are taken care of temporarily or if they are small not even because the risk of initial surgery is higher combined with other injuries.

Seatbelt helps a tremendous amount, without it you either slide against and over the steering wheel or under, both come with their own specific set of injuries. Even the seatbelt itself has a specific set of injuries but it beats hitting your sternum against the wheel and then your face against the glass.
>>
>>15341220

KNOW YOUR ANATOMY, I'm one of those asshole surgeons who will ask you about every little artery.
KNOW YOUR RADIOLOGY, easy to learn, always handy.
KNOW BASIC STUFF, a given.
Be smart, be eager, don't fucking complain, I make more hours then you do anyway, don't try to impress me.
ASK QUESTIONS.
Also the golden move which I used during my residency is to ask things you know but phrase them as a question:
Such as: "Is that the a. lienalis?"
Be prepared for questions back asking what it's for or where it originates from.
>>
>>15341231
>What kind of shit lawyer would take that case?
I remember I had to go to the lawyers office the second time to give my statement on what happened. I had to drive like an hour and a half to get there so he must've gone through MANY lawyers before finding one stupid enough to take him on. After I gave my statement, I heard nothing about it except it was thrown out. That was about 6 years ago now.
>>
>>15341235
> oke, I've done a fellowship in the u.s. and the thing that struck me how unstreamlined care was on a national level, it was filled with local guidelines and regulations instead of a nationwide approach.
A lot of countries should look at the Netherlands, their trauma care is probably the best in the world. If I'd ever had to choose for a place to get a multiple trauma injury it would be Amsterdam.

You're probably correct too, I'm not defending anything we do. I have traveled outside of the USA but I've never done any sort of fellowship so I can only speak anecdotally.

However, I am not impressed by the ambulances I have seen outside of the US and Canada. We carry a lot more equipment. A lot more.
>>
I was just recently in a crash that broke both my legs. My physical therapist cousin told me that my right leg basically exploded (20 cm comminuted) because I had pressed the brake pedal so hard. If I had let go of the pedal right before impact, would I have not been injured so badly?
>>
>>15341245
more info - bilateral tib/fib fracture, very very filthy disgusting open fracture wounds on right side
>>
>>15341242

Unbelievable, if you wanted to you could have gone after him in small claims court to compensate you for the time and the mileage for being there (you can do this very easily but actually obtaining payment is difficulty)
>>
>>15341251
I know what he went through, and though he was a moron, I wasn't going to go after him for being a total moron. More effort than it was worth.
>>
>>15341242
Any of the personal injury law practices that you see advertised on TV would take it. Charge out the ass for their time and on the off chance you DO have a case, they take 80% of the settlement.
>>
>>15341235
>Most amputations no need, the vessels will constrict and you will hardly lose blood

That's fascinating as fuck. The human body is crazy durable when it needs to be.
>>
>>15341258

> 80% of the settlement.

Where do you live? In Florida they take 33.3%
>>
>>15341262
I'm just making up figures. I'm just saying find a REAL practice in the yellow pages or on google. Dont go for so called ambulance chasers.
>>
Q cars or in the US, sleeper cars.

Are these super dangerous or can most frames withstand a crash from a car whose engine is swapped for something stronger.
>>
What would you recommend as the one thing people should do to reduce injury in a crash?

Do you think airbags help at all?
>>
File: 1443582706038.jpg (64 KB, 670x419) Image search: [Google]
1443582706038.jpg
64 KB, 670x419
>>15341272
depends on the car. Sleepers like the Ford Taurus SHO, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, or Buick Regal GS were extremely safe cars for the time
>>
>>15341243

>More equipment =/= better.

People need to know how to handle equipment well to make a difference.

To take the Netherlands as an example again, their ambulances are equipped rather sparse but they are just there to get a patient A&B stable enough to bring them to a lvl 1 trauma centre, they have about 11 lvl 1's in a country smaller then most U.S. states. Amsterdam even has 2.

Combined with a very well equipped Air ambulance which is working together with the London air ambulance (best air ambulance in the world) with an anaesthesiologist onboard who can perform thoracotomies and do RSI nobody dies on the way to the hospital.

And the Trauma centre's are insane, the AMC in Amsterdam has 4 Emergency rooms 40m from the ambulances of which two are fully equipped with a CT scan on rails, they can do a whole body CT scan the moment someone is on the table without moving them.

But then again they do benefit from a geographical advantage.

>>15341245
Straight leg breaks, bendy leg bends. So yeah.

>>15341259
I do have to mention that only is the case with full or near full. if you see it squirting out in bursts apply pressure to the wound, a pressure point or apply tourniquet. But that is a given.

>>15341272
That's more a question for an engineer. Nor do we really have those over here.
>>
>>15341245
You i the UP by any chance? I asked my mom who is an ER nurse about the case and she said it sounded like a case she just had.
>>
where do modern cars fall short regarding safety?
>>
>>15341282
You in*
>>
>>15341283
i should add: based on your observation of injuries involving said modern cars
>>
>>15341276

Most people can't react in time, crashes happen sudden, if you can, try to go limb, do not put your arms out. Try to stay calm even if half your leg is missing. Don't cry and punch emts or flail your arms about your clothes or car, we will cut them both, no matter what you say.

All easier said then done of course.

Airbags help, they can cause injuries but not as bad as the ones they are preventing.
A broken forearm is better then a cracked skull.
>>
Are coupes grossly unsafe compared to sedans?
>>
>>15341294
It's interesting you say "go limp". I remember watching something on TV about how unconscious and very drunk people can survive more blunt trauma because their body is't tense and sways with energy like water or a tree.

It's one reason why drunk people seem to survive deadly crashes they said.
>>
>>15341295
As keeps being mentioned, it depends on the car in question.
A Dodge Neon is going to crumple like a beer can in an accident regardless of coupe or sedan.
By contrast, a Chevy Monte Carlo is just as safe as its Chevy Impala/Pontiac Grand Prix sister sedans.

Generally, if the sedan version is very safe, it's safe to assume the coupe version is as well. That said, sedans tend to have stiffer structures.
>>
>>15341282
No this happened back in April on Long Island so I doubt it.
>>
>>15341283
>>15341287

Auto detection to prevent crashes and preperare for them and pedestrian safety.
Volvo is both very good at these, Mercedes is decent in the former.

Side impact is still a problem. Airbags are essentially an explosion in your face.

Small cars are still dangerous.
Most crashes with trauma are from cars hitting each other, mass always wins.

>>15341295
In general no. Most coupes these days are sedans without rear doors, they just make cutting you out in the event of a crash harder.

>>15341301
Limpness does add a bit but we do not know how much, alcohol also has some effects on heart contractility, and the coagulation of your blood.

Safest place in a car is usually the middle rear seat, so the hated spot is the best spot for survival. Increase your odds and get drunk before a trip.
>>
>>15341281
If someone's got an amputation and they're not bleeding, could they still die from shock?
>>
File: feelsgoodman.png (133 KB, 354x363) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman.png
133 KB, 354x363
>>15341281

> To take the Netherlands as an example again, their ambulances are equipped rather sparse but they are just there to get a patient A&B stable enough to bring them to a lvl 1 trauma centre, they have about 11 lvl 1's in a country smaller then most U.S. states. Amsterdam even has 2.

We don't do this.
Hospitals get pissed off if we have a mentality of just bringing a patient from A&B. The idea (at least where I live I do not speak for all 50 states) is that they want the ambulance to triage each patient - people call 911 for complete bullshit and 90% of the people who we transport to the hospital we end up taking them to the lobby of the emergency room so that we do not clog up the ER. They expect us to obtain vital signs and treat any symptoms en route (for example a diabetic call we are allowed to give dextrose 50% IV and if the patient doesn't want to go to the hospital we don't take them to the hospital, we make sure they eat something, and we are then available to respond to other 911 calls). That way, carrying extra dextrose means we can respond to another diabetic call from the 911 call we were just at.The same can be said for asthma/COPD patients.

> inb4 amerifat

We carry medical supplies to handle even the most minor of medical/traumas in an attempt to keep people from having to go to the hospital for bullshit. The idea is that ambulances are becoming an extension of the healthcare system.

> Combined with a very well equipped Air ambulance which is working together with the London air ambulance (best air ambulance in the world) with an anaesthesiologist onboard who can perform thoracotomies and do RSI nobody dies on the way to the hospital.

feelsgoodman.jpg

I wish we could have this
>>
>>15341235
Finland usually isnt considered eastern european but ok
>>
>>15341340
Spinning off of this, tales of stupid ER visits?

Stuff like people coming in for constipation from eating McDonalds everyday or people seeking drugs and the like.
>>
>>15341350
>isn't Scandi
>isn't Slav
>isn't Eastern Europe
Baltic?
>>
>>15341361
He already said higher than baltics
>>
What things do you wish everyone knew? Anything traffic or accident related
>>
What are some features on Modern Cars that usually make car accidents worse or just causes car accidents in general?

If you could choose 1 thing/feature/design that you could remove from modern vehicles, what would it be?
>>
Does you ever get info about the type of bike a patient was riding? Do sport bikes get into more accidents than choppers?
>>
What do you think is the worst thing for survivability that most people do in cars? Not necessarily the driver.
>>
File: MMT2012.jpg (92 KB, 960x678) Image search: [Google]
MMT2012.jpg
92 KB, 960x678
>>15341322

Depends on the blood loss, if in shock they will eventually die from hypoxemia (a lack of oxygen in arterial blood) or cardiac and/or respiratory arrest.

But in general they can hold out for quite some time, people with an airway or breathing problem are in much more danger.

Treat first what kills first.

>>15341340
Well of course they do an assessment and the ambulance dispatch centre decides where to take them based on protocols, if the air ambulance is there it's their call but then it's usually bad any way.

But for them they have such a geographical advantage, Amsterdam has 55 ambulances with staff waiting at any given time.
Their ride times are incredibly short.

We sort of follow their system, scoop and go, treat only wat kills immediately.

>I wish we could have this

I want it too.

Especially the air ambulance, also when they know it's a short drive or in the middle of the city they often use an SUV instead of the helicopter.
In 9/10 cases the helicopter doesn't take the patient in contrast to the US and Australia.

The helicopter is mostly just there to get the anaesthesiologist at the scene as quickly as possible and he rides in an ambulance on the way to hospital.
>>
>>15341388
Not him but imo the poor visibility from small windows makes for poor situational awareness. If you can't see what's going on you can't react to it.

t.military pilot
>>
>>15341385
ABC protocol.

>>15341388
Giant touchscreen satnavs, phones.

>>15341390
No, just in the pictures of a news article.
Almost everyone here rides sport bikes, so they are number 1.

>>15341392
Not wearing their seat belt properly or not at all.

I'm out, you can still ask questions but I will answer them at a latter time.
>>
>>15341400

That too, Pillars have to be giant and fat for safety but that in itself causes a problem.

The knife cuts on both sides.
>>
>>15341357

> 18 year old female calls 911 at 4 fucking AM for a spider bite on her index finger which has been there for three days (no sign of spider bite seen and no sign of any infection) I did smell alcohol on her breath
> 27 year old male called 911 for the flu - his girlfriend told us he's being a pussy
> 33 year old female called 911 from work because she's diabetic, her blood sugar reading was perfect but still wanted to go to the hospital (probably to get out of work)

Baby boomers and the elderly are the biggest culprits for calling 911 with very minor but still legitimate medical problems thinking that if they call 911 they can get seen by a doctor quicker if they arrive by ambulance.

> Its Sunday, Im diabetic, and I ran out of insulin
> 80 year old female with the flu
> I had an appointment with [insert specialist here] next week but [non-emergent problem] feels worse today. I called their office to reschedule and they told me to dial 911.

None of these things require an ambulance. We take them straight to the fucking waiting room.
>>
>>15341407
>seat belt
Incredible. I can't fathom why people don't wear them. It takes 3 seconds. Do they think they are badass when they fly from vehicle with broken neck?

Thanks a lot for answers, stay safe
>>
>>15341393

Can you even fit a patient in that helicopter?

You also make me scared of driving my bike.
>>
>>15341407
Your thread is a great read. Thank you for the answers so far.

If you come back sometime later, I have another question.
How often does a crash result in serious injury or even death? Like on a highway, I presume there are a lot of accidents that total the car, but the driver is fine or just has a broken arm or whatever.

I'm especially curious because I drive exactly the kind of tiny old 90's car that you talked about earlier in the thread, a Peugeot 205. If I get in an accident, how big would you say the odds are of me getting serious injuries?
>>
>>15341422
I remember going to the ER for a self-inflicted fuck up at a machine shop resulting in a lacerated tendon in my right pinky, and it was absolutely amazing the shit people would come in for.

There was this one crazy homeless lady who I got the impression was there every day talking about how another homeless person poisoned her, some 30's chick talking about something she read on WebMD, and a Somali chick with a line of binbags following behind her screaming about how her child was BRAZENLY ATTACKED by a terrier-sized dog.

I couldn't stop fucking laughing at the last one.
>>
>>15341449
>you make me scared of driving my bike
Just make a monthly offering to the skid demon and you'll be fine
>>
>>15341393

>Well of course they do an assessment and the ambulance dispatch centre decides where to take them based on protocols, if the air ambulance is there it's their call but then it's usually bad any way.
>But for them they have such a geographical advantage, Amsterdam has 55 ambulances with staff waiting at any given time.
>Their ride times are incredibly short.
>We sort of follow their system, scoop and go, treat only wat kills immediately.
>>I wish we could have this
>Especially the air ambulance, also when they know it's a short drive or in the middle of the city they often use an SUV instead of the helicopter.
>In 9/10 cases the helicopter doesn't take the patient in contrast to the US and Australia.
>The helicopter is mostly just there to get the anaesthesiologist at the scene as quickly as possible and he rides in an ambulance on the way to hospital.

The problem with trauma care here is that they find that the most common trauma victims are usually the poorest people without any ability to pay for the care they receive and yet we spend millions on keeping a trauma center up and running 24/7 for these people. Yes we do get more affluent people who arrive at our trauma centers but its usually gang bangers (be american get shot), contractors, construction workers, and the sort of clinetele who doesn't give a shit about health insurance (their reasoning is either "I cant afford it" "I don't care" "but I never get sick!").

Thus we don't have the advanced trauma care you socialized medicine fags have over there because there is reluctance by hospitals to take on more responsibilities for a specialty of care that has no return on investment
>>
>>15341458

Yes you just described is a normal day in an emergency room / in an ambulance
>>
>>15341240
Thanks man, that questions thing is super helpful

I'm not too worried about anatomy, but my radiology is weak
>>
When you come back,

Are convertibles deathtraps? I didn't even think about it until a few days ago but there is no support between the front and rear of the car over the seats. All you have is the rigidity of the floor (?).
>>
>>15341400
What's your airframe, pilotbro?
>>
>>15341557

Paramedic fag here

I've been told they are by co workers but have yet to personally respond to a crash involving one with significant impact, damage, or roll over (just fender bender bullshit)
>>
>>15341407
Thank you for this great thread. It made me reconsider my attitude towards automobile safety.
>>
>>15341557
Well, convertibles have metal frames under the fabric, but they obviously aren't as strong as a roof.
>>
>>15341557
Also, what if you use an optional hardtop? Obviously still not as sturdy as a fixed roof, but how much of a difference does it make?
>>
>>15340540
How bad is falling off a bike around 60mph with full gear on assuming you don't collide with anything? I have a reason for asking.
>>
I drive a '96 Meme-mobile Miata, what would you recommend I do to make it safer?

Are roll bars worth it or will my front window pillars collapse? I'm tall if it makes a difference.

Would a racing harness be any safer in a typical road crash? (not at a track etc)

Thanks based trauma bro
>>
>>15341861
>How bad is falling off a bike around 60mph with full gear on assuming you don't collide with anything? I have a reason for asking.
Racers do this all the time. I imagine if you controlled your fall you'd just skid along until you stop.
>>
>>15341557
In modern convertibles, regulation has it that the A pillars are strong enough to support the weight of the car. However, most roll-overs do not gently place vehicles upside down, so A pillars can fail.
Given that an upside down car would receive a lot of sudden force to get that way, pillar strength might not be top of your worry-list. Look at the crash safety rating per each vehicle before you buy.
For instance, my convertible does not have working airbags
Crash safety rating = fucked
>>
>>15341423
No because they are usually dead, and we will rub it in.
>>15341449
ty.
Yes but it isn't ideal, besides traumacenters in NL are close by. Biking is scary
>>15341453
ty.
Every crash is different but the things that usually kill people are:
High speed & hitting hard big objects > invading objects interior > blunt thoracic trauma & hitting your head & severing spine. If the damage is not enough to kill you instantly you will bleed to death internally
As a get your car doesn't give you the best odds, especially not as the driver since you have a steering wheel infant of you.
>>15341458
Luckily as a trauma-surgeon i evade the crazy google people.
>>15341476
That's why socialist medicine rules. And I think universal cheap government funded health care should be subsidised.
>>15341503
Also be friendly to everyone, and I repeat eagerness, show initiative as well.
Be their bitch, they are giving you the opportunity to learn.
>>15341557
Essentially, yes. Especially cloth roofs, roll-overs are rare but if they happen they usually end up on uneven soft ground and not on smooth asphalt. So your fancy roller will dig in and your head will greet the moles.
Also despite a stiffer chassis they will usually not whistand and the same force, the Volvo C70 is an exception but even that is worse then a normal sedan and it's doors are a foot wide.
>>
>>15341796
Ty, Relax, things at home are still more likely to kill you, don't worry.
>>15341842
Apparently plenty, they are quicker to remove though so you may end up in a trauma centre quicker.
>>15341951
Racing harness is only safer if you wear a helmet with HANS, they lack the slack which increases the duration of acceleration so without HANS your neck will snap forward violently.
Rollbars always help, unless you hit them.
>>15341861
It falls under high energetic trauma and we will be very vigilant. If you don't hit a thing, and are wearing proper protection it usually ends up fine but again fractures and especially those of the pelvis do occur.
>>15342006
MotoGP riders are strong athletic 20-year olds with the best safety suits and prepared to fall, not general population.
>>
How much higher do you thing survival rate is of someone who is wearing a seatbelt vs who isn't?
>>
>>15340540

What's the best way to ensure that I die in a car or motorcycle accident?
>>
>>15342870
Carry scissors with you at all times and in all pockets and bodily orifices.
>>
>>15342870
replace seat belts with a single string of barbed wire
>>
>>15342858
Mortality rate for not wearing a seatbelt outright is 80-90%, according to most research you are about 30-50 times more likely to die without a seatbelt. They exist for a reason.
>>15342870
Don't wear a seat belt, remove airbag and place a steel block on the steering wheel.
>>15342878
Sharp trauma is actually way better survivable then blunt.
>>
>>15342931

Paramedic again

You said earlier that we always assume cervical trauma

I got hit hard by a drunk driver last year, had constant neck pain but blew it off. Although I didn't have fractures or obvious damage, I was eventually referred to a neurologist for my neck pain. Had to get a nerve study done (EMG/NCV) and found that I had delayed conduction to the ulnar nerves (C-5 and C-6 bilateral radiculopathy. I guess what I am saying is have a neurologist make sure that people who complain of neck pain are okay. Apparently I had reduced range of motion of my neck, decreased and unequal grip strength, as well as a bulging disk that I was ignoring.
>>
>>15342969

With that I mean I that I get people in on a spineboard or with a collar if they fell from a bike or from their lazyboy chair.

Being vigilant is good, but you guys seem to overdo it. and if you lot suspect Cervical we have to ass well. It's mostly complaints from neurology, their department is about as far away as possible in my hospital and several buildings over, they hate the jog for nothing. ;)
>>
>>15343037

We rarely put collars on anyone. The only time we use them is obvious head trauma, cardiac/respiratory arrest (to stabilize ET tube), or severe trauma with low Glasgow coma score.
>>
>>15343037
>>15343060

but I can only speak for my area, you can travel from city to city, state to state, the level of care will depend on the doctor who supervises the EMS system and the ambulance crew who shows up
>>
>>15342830
Dully noted. I was also told that nurses are your best friends when first starting off as well

It's not in my nature to antagonize others or act superior regardless, except when shitposting here obviously
>>
>>15343060
>>15343067
It's a lot more prevalent over here.
When I did my stint in the US they put collars on everything but that was a while ago.
Better safe then sorry.
It does little to stabilise the ET tube btw, considering that if you have intubated someone is below 8 anyway, at least that is what my anaesthesiologist keeps yelling.
>>15343078
Best friend is overreacting but they are used to being looked down on by residents who feel superior. Nurses will kick your ass in procedures and placing an IV. They may not know the underlying pathology and background but they do know what to do better then you.

Stay that way. People will like you.
I was horrible at tests,(lowest of class) but my residency marks were near perfect, because I was dependable, reliable, friendly to everyone, knew my limits and made them known. Put the patient in first place, may sound a given but it's not.
>>
>>15343159

> It does little to stabilise the ET tube btw, considering that if you have intubated someone is below 8 anyway, at least that is what my anaesthesiologist keeps yelling.

We have to pick people off of the floor and move them to the stretcher so we like to think the collar will reduce head movement while they are on a spine board, our Medical directors are adamant about using them on scene with ET tube placement
>>
>>15343176
Spine board with blocks should stabilise enough.
Then again different countries, different protocols. :)

I'm off to bed.

Keep asking, will answer when awake.
>>
>>15343234

Thank you for this AMA
>>
coolest thread in months, thank you based surgeon.

So the moral of the story is: Buy big Volvo.

Is this also the reason why so many doctors have Volvo's?
>>
I drive an NA Miata, the air bags may or may not work as I replaced the steering wheel years ago. I have been a daily morphine addict for 6 years, smoke weed while driving all the damned time, and drive with poorly-controlled type-1 diabetes (illegal in most countries/states including mine). I also drive very, very fast and genuinely drift in traffic. No roll bar or cage as well; I have a helmet but obviously don't wear it on the street.

And yet somehow this thread doesn't bother me. I wear my belt, never use my phone, never drive drunk, and always keep track of every car in view. 12 years of driving and the worst I've done is curb a tire while parking. Maybe I've been subconsciously begging for death all these years but my instincs won't let it happen. Good thing rear visibility is fucking AMAZING in my miata which has saved me from many a jackass driver.

Anyway, OP, do you have any awful diabetes-related stories to tell? probably not, as a trauma surgeon but I understand type-1 is pretty common in northern Europe, which is where I suspect you're from.

Pic related when the office drags you to burrito-lunch.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
>>15340777
Truth. There's an inherent risk to riding bikes. But it's fun, and my donor card is filled out, so what are ya gonna do.
>>15340540
Is my new '80s econobox a deathtrap, or is it really no worse than any other car, barring this new gen of hyper-safe cars?
>>
>>15345792
you must use its superior manoeuvrability and excellent visibility to avoid accidents
barring that there is also the possibility of bouncing off whatever hits you
rather than taking the full impact like a heaver car would
>>
>>15340540
have you heard of a side impact crash causing this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_aortic_rupture
>>
>>15340777
>but your skill won't protect you if Sue with her five kids in her MPV cuts you off whilst changing lanes at 100 km/h

it will and it has
>>
Have you ever had to remove something from someone's ass? And if so, what was it?
>>
>>15340826
tuck upwards? really? I get your negativity towards bikers. If I am going to ride a bike anyways, what can I do to make it less unsafe? it's somewhat unlikely I'll end up in a hospital as I'm likely to die if I crash, being a hemophiliac.
>>
File: HAWTHORN CRASH 5.jpg (37 KB, 533x359) Image search: [Google]
HAWTHORN CRASH 5.jpg
37 KB, 533x359
>>15345718
>I've been subconsciously begging for death all these years but my instincts won't let it happen
>drive very, very fast and genuinely drift in traffic
>always keep track of every car in view
>Good rearward visibility which has saved me from many a jackass driver.
its the same for me with DAT motorcycle lyfe

as for terminal medical issues and driving like a mad cunt see mike hawthorn
http://www.jagweb.com/jaguarmodelclub/2005/mag2/onlinemag.htm
>>
Bump for kewl thread
>>
>>15340540
How fucked am I in a Miata?
>>
>>15345646
Yes, also because we aren't payed enough anymore to buy Porsches.
>>15345718
Lucky, we have people who come in first day driving, or after 60 years without incidents. You are increasing the odds a lot. But still slip through.
>>15345792
Don't crash against trucks or newer cars, or trees.
>>15345831
Yes common injury, less so with newer cars and airbags, I may have mentioned it early in the thread.
>>15345867
If bikers hit things it's with the lower groin, most people with dicks torn-off had it hung low in boxers, boxer briefs are superior.
Keep clotting factor with you if you can in your country, tattoo on chest or arm is helpful but easily missed anyway
With the short time to hospital in Europe you would still be alive.

>>15345864
10 feet of guardrail, bananas, dildo's, bedpost. Mostly gays, they have all the fun.

>>15347683
Pretty decent for it's time but side impacts will crumble it like plastic cookie container.
>>
>>15348024
>10 feet of guardrail

Story time?
>>
>>15348024
>boxer briefs are superior
Word. I have no idea why they haven't been made the standard underwear for every man, woman and child, they do everything better.
>>
>>15349633

>Biker, wearing full safety gear.
>Driving neat.
>Big Range Rover accidentally nearly cut him off. (much blind spot)
>Biker gets biker rage
>Moves infront of Range Rover
>Brake checks.
>Woman in Range Rover doesn't react to his little tirade.
>Bike moves alongside the left, slaps the window, it breaks.
>Woman scared + baby in back seat, jolts, panic
>Crushes biker between guardrail and Range Rover.
>Loose piece penetrates ass, comes out of pelvis.
>Firemen cut off the guardrail.
>Bring to my hospital, barely fits in door.
>Pelvis is blown to pieces.
>DCS, remove guard rail, pack like a motherfucker, aa. iliac communis completely shredded to bits.
>Amputated both legs a day later.

I think he died a week or so later.

>>15350869
White would be even better because they show blood stains well.
>>
>>15350963
When I read about stuff like this, the first thing that comes to mind is that in hindsight it would have been better to have died at the scene.

Medicine is in this uncanny valley it has gotten to the point where you can keep the mortally wounded alive for a couple weeks, but we don't yet have the capability to restore the damage done. And if by some miracle they survive, they will suffer debilitating handicaps. Does anybody actually benefit?

Did he spend his last week tying up loose ends, saying his goodbyes and finding peace with his life. Or did he spend it consumed by fear and agonizing pain?

Nobody wants to die, I sure as hell don't. But I get that when it is my time, it is my time, and there is no sense in dragging it out.

What are your thoughts dear doctor?
>>
How fucked am I if I decide to drive a kei roadster like a Honda Beat or Suzuki Cappuccino?
>>
>>15351243

We actually do have an incredible ability to restore mortally wounded people these days.
100% of the people whom i treat would have died without medical care anyway so where do you begin?

Even in complex multiple trauma the average for our hospital is 20% mortality. So should we not help 80%?
Debilitating handicaps are few actually, rehabilitation that is often an occurrence and a long struggling path but I've never seen anyone not happy they are still alive after a big accident.
Some think they shouldn't be alive if for example their friend was killed in same accident but that's for a psychiatrist and more of a mental thing.

You are either under or filled with such a continues stream of pain meds you don't even notice we are treating you.
And think outside the patient, the biker's family was very happy that they could travel to him and say goodbye, it helped in the process of mourning. Did he feel a thing? No. But we gave him a chance.

It's an ethical debate and I'm not one to give up on my patients. Clamshell thoracotomy's for example have a 2% chance of working in case of blunt thoracic trauma. That stops some doctors. Not me, in my career only one person so far has survived that intervention. But that was from certain dead. I still get thank you letters from her every year. That keeps me going and always trying the damnest to get someone back.

>>15351249

They are bad for your life expectancy.

ALSO MORE GENERAL TIPS:

>When on motorway with no barrier in the middle and oncoming traffic and you know you will hit guy in front of you and can't evade in shoulder: HIT HIM, going on the oncoming lane and doing a full frontal = DIE

>NEVER pe-turn your wheels, if hit from behind like gay boy in Amsterdam club you will slide in oncoming traffic and DIE
>>
What do u think about self-driving cars?

Also do you think about losing your job to robots in your lifetime?
>>
>>15351295

If every car was mandatory self-driving my work load would decrease by 1/4 minimum.

And no, not in your, mine or my kids lifetime.
The adaptability required for surgery beyond making a cut in skin is tremendous.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just not any time soon.
>>
Hey, OP, guardrail story aside, what's the weirdest thing you ever pulled out of someone's butt?
>>
>>15351385

Besides the aforementioned dildo's and bedpost. The truly strangest but least traumatic thing in terms of injury were six 90's Star wars figures without their heads painted white. They were strung together and R2-D2 lead the way in that wormhole.

Dude was an acid junkie, he said they were on a rescue mission to find princes Leia, we really thought there was another figure (leia) jammed way, way up there but we found nothing on CT.
>>
>>15351399
Top kek.

Good thread OP, I really enjoyed reading it.
I was incredibly lucky in the one crash I have been in.
> riding motorcycle
> too little sleep
> 100 km ride
> went on littleused country roads
> 15 km from destination
> got lost
> oh fuck it, use the Autobahn
> on-ramp turns more sharply than anticipated
> end up not making it into the acceleration lane and go straight into the side of a truck in the right lane
> hit one of the trailer's wheels in the side
> bounce off, roll a couple meters
> black out for a few minutes
> off-duty doc and two off-duty EMTs were right behind truck
> nondisplaced fracture of outer left metatarsis, couple bruises
> would have been crushed if I had hit the truck less than a meter further in the front or back (between wheels)
> big crack in my helmet where I hit the metal edge of the trailer, no damage to head
I'm an agnostic atheist but while I was waiting for the radiologist come in to x-ray my foot I was literally thanking whoever might be up there for not letting me die.
>>
>>15341137
>I don't really encourage people to stop for emergencies
Eastern Europe confirmed for fucked up.
>>
File: 1992-Toyota-Pickup_21908.jpg (137 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1992-Toyota-Pickup_21908.jpg
137 KB, 1024x768
does the reliability of the Toyota hilux/pickup transfer to good passenger and driver safety?
>>
>>15352246
LOL no
>>
>>15351450
Glad you are ok.
>>15351465
Oi, I didn't say that.

But there is truth in the statement, just call the emergency number, be very descriptive of exactly where the accident is and what happened.
People who think they know what they are doing are the worst.
They want to play the hero and will adversely effect the outcome.

Also people need to take their own safety in aspect, if you get hit by a car or explosion because you ran toward an accident site now another ambulance has to come to help you and nobody wants that.

>>15352246

Reliable =/= safe.

They crumble with interior intrusion.
>>
>>15350963

who the fuck brake checks on a motorcycle? that's just asking for it. seriously...
>>
>>When on motorway with no barrier in the middle and oncoming traffic and you know you will hit guy in front of you and can't evade in shoulder: HIT HIM, going on the oncoming lane and doing a full frontal = DIE

>>NEVER pe-turn your wheels, if hit from behind like gay boy in Amsterdam club you will slide in oncoming traffic and DIE

Can you explain these again? Maybe it's cause I'm tired and/or retarded but I read it three times and I'm not following
>>
>>15352761
Dont swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid a rear end collision. Instead of just rear ending someone and being inconvenient, you get into a head on collision and die.
>>
>>15352761

What >>15352864 says.

And for the second: keep your wheels pointed forward if you have to stop to make a left turn on a road with oncoming traffic. A lot of people already dry turn their wheels to prepare for the turn but if someone hits you you then slide on the oncoming lane instead of forward on your own lane.

Like this:

https://youtu.be/tADvFcj7Cm4
>>
>>15348024
Never thought about getting a tattoo for that purpose as I generally don't want to get any. How useful would it be? Where / how big would it have to be?
>>
File: suzuki-swift-sport-04.jpg (47 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
suzuki-swift-sport-04.jpg
47 KB, 620x388
>>15352990
if you're still here, my gf drives a suzuki swift, pic related. how fucked is she if she ever crashes in that?
>>
>>15351292
Thanks, I really appreciate your perspective. It has changed mine.
>>
>>15351465

Im american but >>15352589 says exactly why I don't encourage people to stop. You don't have equipment or training. You could end up hurting yourself or the victim. Just be very very descriptive of the location, the vehicles involved, the condition of the people involved, and stay on the line until the dispatcher releases you from the call. I cannot stress enough how important it is for police/fire/ambulance to get good information prior to arriving on scene, people usually give us inaccurate information because they're freaking out. Calm down, speak slowly, clearly, and descriptively.
>>
How accurate are TV shows when depicting the work? Not sure if you have MASH where you live but I've always wondered if that's how things are doing meatball surgery
>>
Can you cure the gay I got from buying a Miata? Is it the same procedure for my friend that got the gay after buying a C7?
>>
>>15353130

There's some organisations who have templates and tell you they have 'agreements'.
We don't actively search for them, so they can be missed. But better then those bracelets.

>>15353167
Pretty safe car actually for it's size.

>>15354536
No problem.

>>15357305
To add on this. If you aren't sure if people are okay: Assume the worst.

>>15358934
Never seen MASH, some shows are rather accurate, House isn't really trauma and apart from his slaves doing every lab test the medicine is generally very sound. There's a great blog that rates and explains the medicine in every episode. Quite interesting. http://www.politedissent.com/house_pd.html

Trauma life in the ER is sensational docu but accurate, Grey's & ER are a bit bullshit somethings are right some things are utter bullcrap, An hour to save your life is more of a documentary but very very clearly presented for the layman.
Medically Scrubs was in general on par with house.

>>15359095
I'm sorry anon, it can't.
>>
>>15359616
Thanks a lot man. It's been a really cool thread.
>>
>>15360107
I wish every thread in /o/ was this good
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.