[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nissan moving Sunderland plant to France
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 18
Nissan's assembly plant in Sunderland, UK is its second largest plant outside Japan after the Smyrna, TN plant.
>>
>>15338002
Why wouldn't they just stay in Sunderland? In a couple years, they will be able to pay their employees £1 an hour.
>>
>>15338229
Tariffs on imported parts.

Tariffs on export of assembled car.
>>
File: sensible chuckle.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>15338002
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
>>
>>15338002
The UK already lost an entire auto industry once. They will find a way to survive.
>>
>>15338229
Scared that the EU will impose some tariffs maybe?
>>
File: can't_wake_up.gif (3 MB, 658x800) Image search: [Google]
can't_wake_up.gif
3 MB, 658x800
>>15338270
They killed off their domestic industry. Now all that remain are foreign brands and British marques bought out by foreign firms. They've fucked these up too. These foreign brands will move elsewhere in Europe and these "British" brands will make their cars abroad. Likely in Mexico and China.
>>
>>15338298
>These foreign brands will move elsewhere in Europe and these "British" brands will make their cars abroad.

This.

Notice how BMW has deemphasized "Britishness" of Mini Cooper in their marketing materials in the recent years.
>>
>>15338002
Sauce please
>>
>>15338312
JLR has already considered building cars in Mexico and China for export markets. They already make some models in Slovakia and India so it's not hard to believe that they'd produce in China to circumvent the 25% Chinese import tax and Mexico to get into taxless NAFTA & EU trade.
>>
>>15338312
They're still as unreliable as ever, though.
>>
>>15338322
https://newsroom.nissan-global.com/releases/nissan-uk-announces-closure-of-sunderland-plant
>>
>>15338002
Has there been any official sources on this or is this still rumor mongering?

I don't doubt that they are looking at a move to Calais or another region in France, but I expect they'll actually wait until the Article 50 process starts so that they can see what's actually going to happen.

While there's definitely an emotional call in Brussels (and in the poor countries that were recipients of England's largess) for new trade terms that punish the UK, it's actually not in the EU's self interest to torpedo trade like that, especially since they are already losing almost 3 trillion dollars worth of GNP due to Brexit. It's not like torpedoing the UK's economy is going to transfer those funds to the EU, the EU's best bet for weathering the storm is to encourage investment and trade, not punish it.

This referendum was really focused on the issues of political control, not economic ties.
Repudiating the political baggage of the EU is not at all the same as repudiating the idea of a free trade agreement.
>>
>>15338336
That's a dead link, brother.

I'm betting you've been tricked, or are trying to trick others.
>>
File: url.png (3 KB, 266x160) Image search: [Google]
url.png
3 KB, 266x160
>>15338002
>second largest plant outside Japan after the Smyrna, TN plant.

The plant in Tennessee is the largest? damn son. i think the Tennessee plant has built everything from trucks, cars, and even the GTR's GT1 engine.
>>
File: 1389794134843.jpg (24 KB, 757x585) Image search: [Google]
1389794134843.jpg
24 KB, 757x585
>>15338349
>england's largesse
>>
>>15338362
I think they build every Nissan V8 engine sold globally now. I know the Japanese built Patrol has their engine sourced from the US.
>>
Nissan is my favourite French car.

Own by the French and made in France.
>>
>>15338312

Have you not seen their "Made in Oxford" advertising blitz lately?
>>
>>15338391
I think that ad campaign is for UK only.
>>
>>15338363
The UK is one of 4 economies that actually pay into the EU in any meaningful way, the EU's programs are principally funded by these economies and by borrowing.

If the EU doesn't just lose the UK's direct contribution. but also torpedos the foreign exchange of her trading partners in the EU, the differences will be very hard to make up out of simply more borrowing, at least without introducing other adverse effects.

People are stressed out by mortgages, never mind when their government is buried in debt (even if the difference between a Government "borrowing" by issuing T-bills and qualitative easing, and a homeowner with a lien on his house are massive and multiplex). This stress has adverse effects on a whole series of well-being issues.

We can track frequency of mass shootings against the US's sovereign debt, for instance.
>>
File: eugibmemoneypls.jpg (180 KB, 1200x796) Image search: [Google]
eugibmemoneypls.jpg
180 KB, 1200x796
>>15338415

Saw this the other day, finally get a chance to post it

If one more major country leaves the EU then we will probably see the downfall of the EU entirely
>>
>>15338380
If my 370z is French then I'm just going to go around telling people I drive a European sports car.
>>
>>15338420
I could never understand how Germany could tolerate being taken so hard by the EU, but then I figured out that it's because the German people feel almost like it's a retry at a Holy Roman Empire.
>>
Nissan is NOT moving from Sunderland yet. It has no comment so far.

>>15338002
>Why wouldn't they just stay in Sunderland? In a couple years, they will be able to pay their employees £1 an hour.

When UK leaves the EU, that can cause costs to dramatically rise. Over 80% of Nissan Sunderland's products are sold outside of England. Since a lot of steel comes from outside of England, that also affects the costs of supplies as much of it comes from outside of England as well.

The real problem was that the majority of British population wanted to stay, but they didn't vote. Those that wanted to leave (mostly older people who are already retired) all voted while many young people (who didn't vote) wanted to stay in the EU. If more of the young people had voted, then the UK would have stayed in the EU.

This was a referendum. The UK Parliament could choose to ignore it and ignite a firestorm with the voters and the courts. However, all it has to do is drag out the process for two years which is the statute of limitations. Then the technicality will occur rendering the vote moot. <-- I like that word. Brexit became moot.
>>
>>15338573
>Nissan is NOT moving from Sunderland yet. It has no comment so far.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/nissan-says-no-comment-on-future-of-sunderland-plant-after-brexit-1-7980813

The fact that Nissan won't commit to staying in Sunderland is worrying.
>>
>>15338582
Everybody's worried. If Brussels is so intent on stepping on it's own dick that they go full protectionist on the UK and offer her worse trade terms than are currently offered to China, of course Nissan will go.

But Brussels is doomed if they do that, because what it means is that a polity ruling over 400 million people is making governance decisions that actively harm it out of spite.

If the UK can't survive on the terms decided upon during the article 50 negotiations, the EU will collapse before 2040, baring a hard swing towards totalitarianism and abandonment of democratic or republican values (lowercase letters highly intentional). That's a prediction, write it down.

Nothing has changed yet except for Cameron stepping down. Everyone's uncertain, everyone's nervous, but that happens every time it looks like the apple cart has been upset, and 99% of the time, wait 6 months and you're fine.

But we need to wait 6 months before we start freaking out over someone holding their tongue.

Are you people all ruled by your lizard brain? Goddamn, settle down.
>>
>>15338625
Can manufacturers live with 2+ years uncertainty, trying to figure out exactly how fucked the UK is, or would they rather fuck off to core EU (France, Belgium, Germany) now that the UK is fucked one way or another?
>>
>>15338681
Yeah, because if they're wrong, they just incurred a multibillion dollar expense for no reason.

It will be a much cheaper mistake to spend an extra year paying import and export duty than it would be to move a plant for no reason.
>>
>>15338715
What if the place they're moving to has lower wages to begin with (e.g. Poland), and they were just really waiting for a moment to pull the trigger because the initial capital requires to move the line is high?
>>
>>15338735
A case can be made for that, especially if they can get incentives or tax breaks from the local government to reduce the price of plant construction.

But, that assumes that the supplier relationships, transit costs, labor pool, etc are all good enough to not hurt the business.
>>
>>15338002
Isn't it possible that all the automakers with plants in the Uk would jump ship now? Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant about how the EU treats trade relationships with non-EU members, but doesn't this kick open the door for the EU to just tarrif the fuck out of shit?
>>
>>15338395

I live in North Carolina and see it in TV at least twice per day (not on BBC America).
>>
>>15338857
>living in the south
>actually watching commercials
>not skipping them

How is it like to check off every item on the retard checklist?
>>
File: frog girl.png (44 KB, 159x162) Image search: [Google]
frog girl.png
44 KB, 159x162
>>15338841
>Isn't it possible that all the automakers with plants in the Uk would jump ship now?
Yep.

Opel/GM already stated that UK departure from the EU would mean the shut down of their UK plants and importing their vehicles from Germany.
Toyota has been silent but is now talking about importing their cars to the EU from their upcoming Mexican plant
Nissan wants to close out the plant soon and move production to France
Honda is sticking around because the North American Civic hatchbacks are being imported from the UK and it's lucky for them, the 5th best selling car in the US
Jaguar-Land Rover will likely start moving more of their work abroad. They recently built a plant on Slovakia for EU markets and are looking into a Mexican factory for the NAFTA region and another plant in China
Mini is expected to shift some production from the UK to the new BMW plant in Mexico come 2019
>>
>>15338872
>Fuck it, let's just run everything through Mexico guys!

So I am guessing the UK gets to watch their auto industry die twice...
>>
File: disappointed-obama.jpg (32 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
disappointed-obama.jpg
32 KB, 400x300
>caring about Nissan
>caring about yuropoors
>caring about yuropoor Nissan shuffling locations among yuropoor countries
>>
File: 2014_reliability.jpg (92 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
2014_reliability.jpg
92 KB, 720x960
>>15338901
Family has a Toyota and an E-Klasse made in Mexico. No problems with either so far. It's not like British made products were ever great quality to begin with.
>>
>>15338915
Bleh, the made in Mexico bit doesn't really bother me, I just find it slightly humorous that Mexico may end up being the country lots of automakers shift to to run cars to the EU.
>>
File: scheming mexican.png (263 KB, 1462x758) Image search: [Google]
scheming mexican.png
263 KB, 1462x758
>>15338929
That's what happen when you don't force a bunch of silly trade policies and you're workers only make 8 euros per hour.

>mfw 2/3rds of cars sold in North America will be built in Mexico come 2020
>>
Stay cucked, England.
>>
>>15338915
Those are for south america only, we do get SA built Cs.
>>
>>15338944
Wishing I had payed more attention to the Brexit debate than just watching last Week Tonight's segment about it.

What did politicians in the UK push as the economic advantage to getting out of the EU?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466996901763.jpg (68 KB, 932x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466996901763.jpg
68 KB, 932x960
>>15338944
The eternal Spic strikes again
>>
>>15338459
They tried invading everybody, that didn't work.

So now they simply own everybody through money.

>>15338735
That could happen, but the thing you need to remember is that you need to go somewhere with a few large ports with constant international shipping.
That limits you pretty severely, poland is out because it's not on the coast.

If they actually do move to france, they're fucking morons because it will cost them too much money.
Spain seems possible

>>15338625
I really, really, really hope they do.

Watch as the commonwealth and the US announce a whole bunch of trade deals with the UK and sit back and watch the fireworks
>>
File: Corbis-DY003573.jpg (114 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-DY003573.jpg
114 KB, 640x425
>>15338966
The US got Mexican made W202 C-Classes. The W203s were from Germany and Brazil, W204s were from South Africa and Germany, new W205 C-Classes are all made in the US apart from AMG versions which are shipped from Germany.

The 6 cylinder AWD E-Classes (both I6 and V6, W210 through W212) have been imported from Mexico on and off since the 90s whenever demand outstrips German plants supply capacity.
>>
>>15338969
See:
>>15338420

They were essentially running a continental-sized welfare program and got sick of it.
Doesn't help that a bunch of the EU laws are fucking retarded for no reason.

Never forget that it was the EU that banned lead-based solder, 'helping' the enviroment.
Now we have electronics with failure rates of 40% (early xbox 360s) causing orders of magnitude more waste, being worse for the environment anyway.

It's also over-regulated to the point where they have fucking maximum power limits on vacuum cleaners.
I wish i was fucking joking.
>>
>>15338978
Surprised none of the major automakers use Portugal as an export hub. Lowest wages in Western Europe and easy labor laws as far as the EU goes.
>>
>>15338420
So, which will happen first? Franc-Off or Out Wiedersehen?
>>
>>15338995
I get that you have the whole welfare state angle going on. Basically it's the makers vs takers argument Fox has been pushing in the US for years.

But obviously pulling out of the EU creates it's own set of economic hurdles (your entire auto production industry leaving, for example)

Was the entire exit campaign based around "Lets stop giving our fucking money away to Europe!"? I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. the closest thing I could draw a parallel to would be a US state saying fuck it, and voting to break off to form it's own country. Yes, you would escape lots of federal regulation, but there is no way you could make it work economically long term. I'm sure the UK's situation is far more nuanced than my silly example, but still, it seems like this would have been an extremely hard sell economically

And to add, I can say that lots of people, John Oliver included, called out the EU regulations issue as a red herring.
>>
>>15339044
That's the thing, though, they're going to lose their auto industry even if they stay in the EU. They only had one because the EU used to be a market everybody wanted, these days companies only give a fuck about china and see no reason not to simply import chinese/mexican models to the EU rather than build there.
If any companies leave, it'll be 'oh, we're leaving because the UK is no longer part of the EU' 'so why did you buy the land for your new chinese factory back in 2014?' 'OH LOOK A PUPPY'

As for the other reasons, they're varied but it basically boils down to people being sick of dealing with their shit while watching their economy be trash anyway.
The refugees are just the final straw, it's been building for many years that britbongs have been sick of the EU.

And honestly, their economy can't be made much worse than the way it's been heading. Who knows, maybe now they'll open up some FTAs with china like us ausfags and get that sweet chinkcash
>>
>>15338362
My dad works there. It's produces more cars per year than any other factory in America if I'm not mistaken. Actually, Tennessee produces more cars than any other state
>615 represent
>>
>>15339138
>And honestly, their economy can't be made much worse than the way it's been heading

Makes me a bit sad. I did a summer of study abroad in Cambridge way back in my undergrad days...spent 2 vacations over the years in London. It's always been a great place to visit, but I definitely picked up a bit of the xenophobia vibe the last time I visited..

>>15339162
Does it beat out the Toyota plant in Kentucky?
>>
>>15338431
>If my 370z is French then I'm just going to go around telling people I drive a European sports car.

Seeing as Renault basically owns Nissan, you already drive a European sports car.
>>
>>15339177
A quick google search says yes, but I'm not 100% sure about the numbers. I do know they make Altima's, Maxima's, Quests, Pathfinders, Rogues, Fronqueers, and the Queaf if memory serves
>>
>>15339199
>Queaf
lol

but seriously, that's impressive, had no idea they were moving that much stuff. My sister works at the Toyota plant in Ky, been in it several times, it's always fascinating to see how it all comes together.
>>
>>15339177
Eh, it makes sense man.
Picture yourself as a young britbong:
You have no money because the only job you could get is minimum wage and barely covers your rent, you have a 1.1L shitbox because you can't afford the fuel or insurance for anything else and the general state of your country is turning shittier every day due to this lack of a stimulated economy
You then look at the EU and notice it's a massive moneysink for your country, being a large part of the reason you have no money with the only 'benefit' being that you can travel without a passport, not that you can afford to do this anyway
Then, along comes last year, with the 'refugees' who are using 'the war' as an excuse to move in large numbers to european countries, adding lots of new, uneducated labor to their workforces...
And then you realize you're part of the EU, and they'll be coming here, meaning in 6 months there will be another 10 people applying for your job at mcdonalds
Then you have all the old people in your country telling you how this is a good thing, from the homes they own while no longer dealing with the modern job market, and that you should stop complaining.
Then you get in your 1.1L shitbox with the fuel light on and have a little cry

Can you see now why all the young people in the country voted to leave?

The EU were genuinely providing nothing while the british economy was and is fucking dying. Another 10 years of this same and they will genuinely no longer be considered a '1st' world country
>>
>>15339221
...I thought it was the complete opposite? CNN ran a big article today talking about how when you broke the vote down by age, younger people voted to remain, and it was the older demographic that carried 'leave'
>>
File: image_4.jpg (20 KB, 256x299) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
20 KB, 256x299
>>15338867
>skipping commercials on live TV
Is that actually a thing?
>>
>>15339247
I'm pretty sure they got it backwards, remember back when it broke that it was all the old people wanted to stay.

If that is actually accurate, shit seems extremely odd because the ones who stand to benefit most from shaking up the economy are the ones who don't own anything yet
>>
>>15339260
No they didnt.
>>
>>15339260
no dude. its been all over basically every new source, young people voted to stay, older people voted to leave. Some frosty mofo in the remain camp even had a long ass editorial online how anyone over 65 shouldn't have been able to vote, since it wasnt there future.
>>
>>15339247
you are generally correct. old nostalgic fucks were the ones swayed by the "leave" option.
>>
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/business/nissan-says-no-comment-on-future-of-sunderland-plant-after-brexit-1-7980813
>>
>>15339291
maybe we don't want to be overrun by 5 billion niggers by 2030.
>>
>>15339352
I thought the UK didn't have freedom of movement ! They have it in a sense but you still have to do passport checks.
>>
>>15339401
nope, people still show up here, and under EU law the UK wasn't allowed to show them away. the only circumstances the UK could say no to someone coming in was if there was direct evidence they were a terrorist/going to be up to no good, I believe this was only used a few thousand times, which from millions of migrants is fuck all.
>>
>>15338991
weren't those the most unreliable cars Mercedes ever built?
>>
Nissan literally says they don't want to be associated with the leave campaign..

What did you think they were implying?
>>
>>15341547

Tfw.. I'm never going to get a gtr.
>>
>>15341538
No, those would be the W220 S-Class and the first generation ML.
>>
>>15339221
You're an idiot and your facts are reversed.
>>
>>15341700
W210s and W202s were pretty terrible too.
>>
>>15339221
Fucking bang on the money, that comment.

I want my children to grow up and have a decent chance at a job. How will that be possible with hundreds and thousands of migrants into the country?

Makes you think why under 25's mostly voted to remain. they were literally voting to fuck themselves up desu

As for Nissan leaving, it won't happen, at least not for a while. You can't just pack up a giant operation like that and leave. it would need major planning desu
>>
dirt dog gonna give it to ya
>>
File: MI0001765836.jpg (31 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
MI0001765836.jpg
31 KB, 500x487
>>15342139
RIP ODB
>>
>>15342128
>I want my children to grow up and have a decent chance at a job. How will that be possible with hundreds and thousands of migrants into the country?

By sending your kids to school and letting the migrants sweep floors, you dumb cuck.
>>
>>15344356
>you're 22 and have no work experience,anon, how come?
>>
>>15339221
Those shitskins were on the dole, NOT contributors. It's worse than you think.
>>
>>15338978
>Poland is out because it's not on the coast
>>
File: kcaco.jpg (11 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
kcaco.jpg
11 KB, 189x267
>>15339221

No jobs for uneducated people, because since getting hooked on Thatcher's neoliberalism we got rid of our manufacturing industrial base (that was mostly present in mid size Brexit bastions like Coventry and Blackpool) in favour of a service sector solely based in the City. We also sold all the public owned companies like BT, BG and the British Railway, resulting in us paying premium prices for shit service.

At the same time we got rid of cheap education. While local governments sold out to property developers, who didn't built the needed cheap housing because investment property or not building anything is far more rewarding.

We also allowed everyone with taxable wealth to stash it in the oversea territories through the aforementioned financial service sector, forcing the ordinary citizen to pick up the bill of the financial crisis through years of frozen payment and austerity.

Populist carreer politician have been force feeding the mass that the EU is the source of all our self inflicted problems for decades....and that apparently worked seeing last Thursday result; with the old generation looking through their rose tinted glasses, longing for a time when you could raise a family and buy a house on a single blue collar salary. And the young generation seeing their chances dwindle even further now we are closing the door to the EU, with even the service sector threatening to pull out, leaving them stuck on this Island.
>>
>>15338229
Plenty of mudslimes in France will work for 1 Euro an hour. Which is fantastic because naturally the savings will be passed onto the customer :^)
>>
>>15338573
>wanted to stay, but they didn't vote
anglo logic
>>15339221
Fun fact: shitbox versions of fiesta are one of the most popular cars in the country
>>15345875
Honestly, i'd love to see you turning into a third world country
>>
Immigration will come to an end because immigrants go where there is work and prosperity to be found. Now with the UK abandoning the European market there won't be any of that, not for immigrants and not for your children, who would probably like to emigrate in a few years anyway, but have a will have a hard time doing so with the border to the continent closed.
>>
>>15345900
no immigrants go where gibs are
>>
>>15339247
Less than 35% of under 25s voted, while more than 90% of over 60s did

So you're actually not seeing young vs old, you're seeing 60% of 90% vs 73% of 35%
>>
>>15338841
Why would the EU tarrif a market they make 100% profit upon

Why would Germany allow the EU (implying Germany doesn't run the EU) to tariff the UK out of the auto market when nearly 1/3 of german made cars are outbound to the UK

Why would anyone move a plant now incurring huge costs over a decision that may not even go through, will likely not affect UK-EU trade when moving would incur massive costs

Manufacturing was already declining in the UK ironically in main due to EU policies and Chinese policies, people trying to pin a prior trend on British EU exit are just people with an agenda desperately looking for a correlation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/11/uk-manufacturing-sector-falls-back-into-recession-steel

Any plant movements now would have been preplanned and almost certainly planned with developing markets in the third world and lower wage/land/energy pricings.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.