[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you enjoy working on your car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14
File: manifold.jpg (113 KB, 525x521) Image search: [Google]
manifold.jpg
113 KB, 525x521
Or do you just do it because you're broke?
>>
Yes.
And no. I pocket an entire paycheck every month and I'm paid bi-weekly
>>
File: mfwgoat.jpg (39 KB, 414x472) Image search: [Google]
mfwgoat.jpg
39 KB, 414x472
It depends on which car of mine and, overall, about 50/50.

>doing any type of suspension work, tie rods, ball joints etc
Just kill me.

>doing any type of work on the engine, be it replacing spark plugs, wires, etc
Oddly satisfying.
>>
>>15318967
Suspension is easy though as long as the shit's not all rusted
>>
That's a good looking equine penis.
>>
>do you enjoy working on your car
Also, you'd have to be filthy fucking rich to pay a shop to do an LS swap on an old ass car, fuck that.
Wouldn't be worth it, rich or not.
>>
>>15318978
But everything is always rusted.
>>
>>15318988
Whoops that post got fucked up
Yes, it's fun working on my cars.
>>
>>15318988
A shop one time quoted me maybe a couple thousand for labor to drop a 289 V8 and a T5 transmission into a straight six 3 speed '66 Mustang. With the engine and transmission costing under $1000 it didn't seem like something exclusive to the filthy rich.
>>
>>15319009
>implying I didn't have to swap the axle as well
Just as much work as an engine swap right there.
Let alone the cost of an axle with limited slip.
>>
>>15318953
Used to enjoy working on my shitboxes. Couldn't wait to get outside and do *something*. Anything.

Now I'd rather just sit inside and shitpost.
>>
I like working on my truck but if i had the cash I'd pay someone else to do it
>>
what if you're broke because you enjoy very much working on your car?
>>
File: 20160618_161737_resized.jpg (288 KB, 1461x822) Image search: [Google]
20160618_161737_resized.jpg
288 KB, 1461x822
Yes

Mostly because I tend to spend most of my time either studying travel and tourism (now done), working a non-auto related job (nursing services/ski lifts) and helping out family with different small jobs and chores (rarely auto-related), and as such it becomes a good way to wind down and do something I enjoy, even when its just menial stuff like wheel swapping, oil change or bulbs
>>
dude i hate it, really. my car shows me no mercy, and most mechanics refuse to touch it, because it has CIS.
they do not mind my other car, a volvo usually.
i do not mind paying for good work, but its hard to find quality shops.
>>
File: vw WAT THE FUCK.jpg (130 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
vw WAT THE FUCK.jpg
130 KB, 800x600
>>15319897
also fuck german cars and their engineering to use special tools
>>
File: vw tools.jpg (103 KB, 800x352) Image search: [Google]
vw tools.jpg
103 KB, 800x352
>>15319900
these are the tools needed to work on a beetle.
people often call german cars easy to work on and simple, how the fuck did they get this reputation?
>>
File: FinalDriveCoverToolVW297.jpg (19 KB, 400x364) Image search: [Google]
FinalDriveCoverToolVW297.jpg
19 KB, 400x364
>>15319908
yes so easy! simple to repair at home right? its just a beetle transmission!
>>
File: 17mm_magnet.jpg (70 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
17mm_magnet.jpg
70 KB, 1024x768
>>15319915
a wrench needed to tighten a bolt on a beetle.
vw a shit, then and now.
>>
File: 297.jpg (160 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
297.jpg
160 KB, 640x480
what do you mean theres no loaner tool like this? how am i supposed to work on a beetle transmission?
>>
Work at a dealership, car is braindead monkey tier simple, parts are pennies on the dollar

I'd be a retard not to
>>
File: 1436665098636.jpg (127 KB, 1003x711) Image search: [Google]
1436665098636.jpg
127 KB, 1003x711
>>15319955
my mercedes oil pan gasket is leaking, let me see how easy that is to change...
fuck german cars
>>
I dunno, I usually enjoy working on my own vehicle as long as the job isn't above my skill level. The most in depth thing I've ever replaced was a head gasket on a Dodge Caravan V6. It took me like 5 hours though.

The alternator went out on my truck last week. I just did not have time to deal with that as it was a busy work week so I didn't mind forking it over to a local shop to have it done in 4 hours.

Depends on the situation.
>>
>>15319960
I should add that headgasket only lasted for about 8 months. I must not have torqued it properly or something. Honestly I'll probably never do it again unless it on a 4cyl or something smaller.
>>
I love working on my own vehicles and saving money doing so, but I'm getting to that threshold where my time is worth more than the mechanic's to fix my DD.

Bikes and secondary cars though, hell yeah, lets spend a month tearing down the whole suspension to get rid of a pesky squeak.
>>
>>15319960
there are jobs i hate to do more than others
ring and pinions, stinky messy time consuming and i hate trying to get a good pattern
ball joints in solid axles, yeah, make a shop do it, hate it.
and alignments, just a pain to me. the adjusters are always course thread making it suck to get it where i want. have fun with shims if your car takes them!
>>
>>15319928
I have one of those in my toolbox!! I've always wondered what the fuck its for but too lazy to look up.
>>
>>15319959
>this clusterfuck
Only the Germans.
>>
i view actually working on cars as just that: work

and i dislike doing work when i dont have to
>>
>>15319987
if you dont have a beetle ebay it, someone probably can use it
>>
I enjoy some jobs but not others. Anything that involves doing stuff inside the car, I hate. I'm tall and my hands are huge, and my car is small, so anything in a hard to reach place becomes an exercise in pain and frustration
>>
>>15318953
I don't hugely enjoy it, but it's satisfying to do it.

It beats paying someone a huge amount to do it, though.
>>
>>15319991
>I've never seen a longitudinal awd system before
>>
File: equinoxwillneversleep.jpg (313 KB, 742x540) Image search: [Google]
equinoxwillneversleep.jpg
313 KB, 742x540
>>15318953
I have spent 11 years of my life fixing the shitty cars i buy / get. Every time I work on my car it only reminds me I'm stuck in this ghetto ass lifestyle of mine.

I hate working on cars, but I love cars.

Someday I will pay some asshole to do custom work for me. And you know what? I won't give two fucks, because I hate working on cars.
>>
>>15320106
I have never seen a diff housed in the oil pan or a spring bent around a drive shaft.
>>
File: $_35[1].jpg (14 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
$_35[1].jpg
14 KB, 300x188
>>15320134
>>15320134
the srping si pretty retarded, but a lot of longitudinal engines have a diff attached to the oilpan

pic related an rb26 oilpan
>>
>>15319959
I guess to allow the car to be lower? I don't understand.
>>
>>15318953
Nice horsecock, OP.
>>
>>15319915
By means of The Device
>>
>>15318953
Horse
Cock
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>15319900
Fucking this god damn, fucking VW.
I had to change the spark plugs on a VR6 a few days ago.
Need a fucking special too to do it, had to make one.
Also, special tool to remove power steering fluid cap, why???
>>
>>15318953
I don't enjoy anything anymore.
>>
There's never anything to be done tho....
>>
>>15320498
Lol I just changed the plugs on my vr6, you don't need a special tool to remove the wires, just pull the things out lol.

>Also, special tool to remove power steering fluid cap, why???

Lol are you fucking retarded or something? you can literally stick anything in that notch on the cap to unscrew it including your fucking car key
>>
>>15320134
Some gm awd trucks with the straight six have a hole that goes straight through the oil pan for the front axles
>>
>>15323369
>you don't need a special tool to remove the wires, just pull the things out lol.
>pull on wire
>wire rips out
Ok.
>don't need a special tool for the ps fluid cap
No fucking shit you can turn it with anything, the fact that they designed it like that in the first place is what I'm bitching about.
Pull your fucking head out of your ass fuckwit.
>>
I'd enjoy it a lot more if I had the proper space to do it, the proper tools for the job, and a car worth spending the money to fix. If I had all of these things then i'd probably enjoy working my car a lot more then I do now when I'm trying to take off a brake caliper bracket with a socket wrench on the side of the street... Shit sucks yo.
>>
>>15323438
Lol butthurt trip faggot is upset cause he doesn't know how to unplug a wire
>>
>>15323438
>turn it with anything
>special tool

The only special tool here is you
>>
HORSE
>>
>>15320239
that's what she said
>>
When I'm not working on it, I tell everyone including myself that I love working on it. When I have to repair some shit I realize that it really isn't such an enjoyable way to spend my time. I love being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor though and I enjoy learning about how my car works.
>>
>>15318953

I do enjoy working on my shitbox and seeing the fruits of my labors.

https://youtu.be/krW4WH3U2cU
>>
>>15318953
I like working on a project car, but am too poor to afford one now I'm an adult.

I work on my car because I can't afford to pay a mechanic to do it for me, and because if I had a father growing up I imagine he would have taught me that real men service their own.
>>
>>15318953
No, I don't enjoy working on it. But I enjoy the satisfaction of being able to get shit done, knowing shit indeed got done, and that shit got done right. I don't trust anyone. Not even myself.
>Or do you just do it because you're broke?
There's that as well, yes. But paying someone else to do shit is a good way to end up being broke, too. Unless of course you make SFW-misleading-thumbnail-of-a-horse-dick loads of money - which I'm sure you don't either.

So yeah, even if I had millions of dollars, I wouldn't pay some guy who's probably a lazy fucking asshole to touch my shit because he'll probably half-ass it, fuck something up and not mention it, or just flat-out lie and tack on extra charges.
>>
On my well maintained car? Yes.
On my sister's rust bucket? No.
>>
>>15318953
I enjoy it, because it's deeply therapeutic for me. Of course, there's some things I need a mechanic for, like the wheel bearings, because I don't have a hydraulic press for it. But I can do most myself.
>>
>>15324617
Real men do whatever they want, kid
>>
>>15323500
Kek
>>
File: 1455632208006.jpg (74 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1455632208006.jpg
74 KB, 720x960
I'm a poorfag, but I also enjoy the feeling of fixing something on my car by myself.

It's everything in between that's shit.

Trying to wrestle a fuel tank off to do a fuel pump in 200 degree heat with rusted bolts everywhere, and having to remove a ton of shit just to access them is a bitch.
>>
my only complaint about working on my cars is the lack of a lift, which in turn is due to my semi-poorfag status.

Other than that I genuinely enjoy working on cars. Sure I curse and yell a lot but that helps things along better :^)
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.