[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying Salvage/Rebuilt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Thinking of getting a salvage/rebuilt car - mostly because I'm cheap as fuck. I want a Prius or similar for mileage and reliability.

Is it possible to get full insurance on a salvage car? Are the rates worse, or better?
>>
Buying a salvage prius, ever.
>>
>>15303384
most places wont offer comprehensive on salvage, and rates are always worse.
>>
>>15303384
>is it possible to get full insurance on a salvage car?

mayyyyyybe, but usually not.

>Are the rates worse, or better?

far, far worse. you would get fucked anon.

the reasoning is this: most states do require an inspection to change a salvage title to rebuilt, BUT the inspection does not include actually testing the vehicle's functionality. therefore, you are trying to insure a vehicle that, while it looks fine, might still be seriously fucked. even if you took it to a mechanic to get fully checked out, you would get absolutely reamed on your liability only insurance until the end of time. better to save up a bit more for a clean title, especially if you plan to resell.
>>
If you are going to keep it for more than three years, and can save money to self insure in a sense, meaning you set aside money that would goto a premium and don't touch it in case of emergency, then a salvage can be an excellent option
>>
>>15303485

That is fucking retarded.
>>
>>15303384
Anything you save up front will be spent in the long run through repairs and/or insurance.

Buy a clean car.
>>
Please don't buy a Prius. Of any nature.
>>
>>15303662
why? reliable and good milage. Yes it's distasteful but I don't care. When gas reaches 4$ again, I want to laugh as I only pay half of what other people shell out for the same deal.
>>
>>15303679
It's booooooring. Not bad or mean or unreliable, just so. Goddamn. Boring. At least I think so.
>>
>>15303775
I can't wait until September.
>>
>>15303679
>paying way more than you would for a corolla just so that you can save maybe a thousand dollars on gas over the next few years
Enjoy replacing the battery pack too
>>
>>15303384
I drive a rebuilt, let me answer questions.

First and foremost, it is on a case by case basis. You'll have to do some very, very detailed searching to make sure that the car was properly repaired, especially if you suspect frame, water, or any other kind of damage.
Not all salvages are built equal. Some are just a body panel or two that the previous owner didn't want to mess with. That's your best case scenario. Then you have others where some seedy shop has barely finished unwrapping the axle to the point where some self hating inspector passes it.

With that said, rebuilts will across the board be cheaper than their clean counterparts, and the second reason would be insurance.
Most insurance companies will not do full coverage on a rebuilt. Mine personally will only do liability, which is fine for me. I'm in my mid 20s and my dad still keeps me on his insurance so it costs something stupidly low like $90/yearly as his fifth vehicle to insure.

Generally speaking though, don't go to rebuilts unless you can't find a clean title in your area. Think of a rebuilt as your plan B. It's another layer of risk to buying used cars, but with all of this said, if you can navigate the minefield, sometimes you can find some pretty good cars.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.