[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a car more or less drifty? I've never drifted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault(3).jpg (148 KB, 1909x1002) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(3).jpg
148 KB, 1909x1002
What makes a car more or less drifty?

I've never drifted a real vehicle but from driving different cars in forza I've realised all cars don't drift alike or are all together uncontrollable once they lose grip.
What makes a car better or worse at drifting?
>>
>>15302236
>>>/v/
>>
>>15302236
gb2/v/
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_setup

now go back to /v/
>>
File: watcaddyatnurburgring.jpg (336 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
watcaddyatnurburgring.jpg
336 KB, 1280x720
Wheel alignment, differential and suspension setup.
The weight balance of the car will change the way the drift must be executed, but overall the same principles apply.

In Forza, try setting a fairly large value of toe out (try +.5 or so) like with about -1.5 degrees camber in the front and almost none in the back. Rear toe should be zero, this gives you the largest possible slip angle. Lots of toe out up front does two things: it gives the car more front grip by reducing how much the front wheels understeer while sliding, and it also induces instability under braking, which makes it easier to slide without yanking the handbrake and slowing down.

Make your front shocks/springs a little stiffer than the rear, but make the anti-roll bars a little softer in the front than the rear, this gives you good control of the front end while sliding sideways. A well-balanced setup provides very controllable, repeatable drifts, so don't wing the settings out too far, try to keep them in proportion.
I like to use a setup calculator, there are many available for Android and iOS. they take the weight, distribution, drivetrain and tire size and calculate the optimum suspension settings. They can make any vehicle highly competitive in multiplayer and much easier to drive.

Forza may be just a game, but these values apply to real cars as well. You can even try them in other simulators to see how those physics still apply.
>>
>>15302319
That is very informative and I'll definitely take that into account when tuning my next build.
But what I'm actually curious about is what will make a stock car more drifty than another.

Like for example why is a stock porsche 944 less of a drifter than a 240sx
>>
Autism & detachment from reality: the thread
>>
>>15302401

Not the same guy, but:

>Like for example why is a stock porsche 944 less of a drifter than a 240sx
The 944 is probably slightly heavier with the same amount of power, and the 944 should have wider rear tires stock.

The thing is, Forza physics is fucking full of shit. So of course, the porsches all handle like race cars, while conventional drift vehicles are a bit more slippery. Motorsport 6 is way too slippery to even pretend to be real, and Horizon 2 is even more reliant on automotive stereotypes, with german cars handling like they're on rails, whilst the JDM yolo swaggot cars are drift machines. Try out the c6 zr1 stock if on motorsport 6. Been a while since I played Horizon 2, so I couldn't help you there.
>>
>>15303437
Does any car game get it right?
And also feature FF tuner cars?
>>
>>15303450
No.

These are racing games. Most racers hate drifters. Most racing game physics engines are shit at simulating drifting.
>>
>>15302236
You need to make the rear wheels go faster than the front ones.

That's why you would rather have an RWD drifter than an AWD. Skylines require tuning to not have their front wheel give too much power and ruin drifting.

>what makes a car more or less drifting
Suspension setup is where is at it.

Harder sway bar on the rear increases your chance of drifting, harder tire compound on the rear and higher psi. Stiffer suspension. Stance and toe at 0 because you are not a stancefag.

The issue is that you want the front to stick as much as possible. So you use a very small sway bar, standar/soft spring/dampeners, standar/soft compound at below-average psi.

Usually you stance the front by a few degrees to increase the distance between the front tires WITHOUT making it so much it consumes the inside of the tire first. Its hard to get that one right.

Some people would rather also have a toe-out in the front to allow the front tires to grip more, some others not.
>>
>>15302236
FR wright distribution, power, and suspension setup / tires
>>
>>15303504

You have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm going to waste time, but pretty much everything you said is wrong. You just have to look at some pictures of drifting cars and you'll realize why.
>>
>>15303504

You do not want the front tires to outpace the rear. You do not want the rear tires to outpace the front.

A fucking D1 car will actually understeer through a corner if it isn't sideways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRjTdsJQYQM

The stiff suspension bullshit is debunked, and yes, a system designed to curb oversteer (ATESSA) needs to be removed before a Skyline can slide for a long time on power.
>>
>>15303557
>you have to look at pictures of drifting cars
That's BS, not an argument.
Drifting cars have ultra low weight and high power. Also most likely tires made for drifting. They dont need a great suspension set up because they have enough engine power to do whatever the fuck they want. Their stancing is just for show.

>>15303613
>A fucking D1 car will actually understeer through a corner if it isn't sideways.

Most cars overall understeer if they are not sideways. Even FR cars.
>>
>>15304061

> Most cars understeer if they are not sideways

Have you driven a car before?
>>
>>15304116
Yes. Have you? All i've stated in my previous post is correct.

Drifting becomes a thing about suspension settings for the most part, and that's a deal about physics. You've got to know exactly what each part works to know how to deal with drifting.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.