[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fucking livid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
>Chevy Cruze overheating issues
>Dealership said it's probably the battery, wanted 250 dollars to replace it. I say fuck no, do it myself.
>Car keeps overheating.
>Do my own research, think it may be the thermostat. Replace it myself, however it's an aftermarket thermostat.
>Car keeps overheating.
>Call GM customer care hotline, they said give dealership one more chance to diagnose it.
>Dealership says it needs a new thermostat. Want 400 fucking dollars to replace it. When I say the thermostat is brand new, they change story and say it has to be OEM.

What do? I don't even want to pay the 100 dollar diagnosis fee because it's fucking horseshit.
>>
>>15301338
try a different fucking dealer, one that isn't trying to fucking scam you.
>>
>>15301338

Go somewhere else.... wtf

Also, cheap aftermarket thermostats are notoriously unreliable. Just look up reviews on autozone or wherever.
>>
>>15301338
>Chevy Cruze
Found the problem
>>
>>15301379
found the dumbass
>>
OP, you DO know that the dealerships are not owned by GM in any way, shape, or form, right? They're all privately owned family businesses.

Don;t like on dealer? Well don't blame Chevrolet. Go to a different fucking dealer and log a complaint with Chevrolet themselves. GM can impose penalties when enough complaints against a dealer are met, like revoking their right to sell new vehicles of that brand.
>>
File: NWMDC.jpg (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
NWMDC.jpg
15 KB, 400x400
>>15301338
Also, I know it may be rare but could this be a headgasket issue?

Have you done a pressure test on the cooling system?

Have you done a test on the cooling system using pic related?

It is fairly simple to do pic related and I think it may be worth a shot at this point.

Also, if you are not in warranty. WHY would you EVER go to the dealer?????????????????????????
>>
>>15301338
>my car is overheating halp pls

>hurr it must be da battery!

dude, for the battery to impact your cooling system it would have to be so dead the car wouldn't start.
That should have been your first clue that shop is trying to fuck you. Always use the latest version of Common Sense 2016, even irl.

If a tech's explanation doesn't make logical sense or they are unwilling to show you the problem, they are trying to take advantage of your automotive ignorance and you should go elsewhere. Either that or they are wildly incompetent.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 1233x841) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 1233x841
>>15301338
how many miles anon?

I would do basic troubleshooting

>are the radiator fans on?

This is a must check, if they dont you should check the relay and fuse for it

>does the temp gauge lowers when you put your heater all the way up?

Again, this could tell you whether the thermostat is working or not

>did you burp the system correctly?

Air in the system causes overheating

Now if all those are good, I'm afraid the last thing that could go wrong is the water pump.

Do check everything thoroughly and report back.
>>
Not a big fan of these cars. My parents bought a 2015 with 25k mi and it blew a gasket after 5k more. Also 2small4me
>>
>>15301445
2016+ models have an all new engine. May still be a 1.4L Turbo, but it's completely unrelated.
>>
OP here.

So I brought it to the dealership the second time because I thought it might be the ECU. I'm also getting horrible gas mileage.

It's the 1.8 engine btw, The error is "A/C Off due to high engine temp", and I believe it may be a false positive because I've gotten the error the second I start the engine after it has sat the entire night.

Yes I hate the fucking car BTW and it's the last GM I ever buy. I've bought 5 Chevy vehicles and 3 were brand new so that says a lot. The car has 55k miles and a) the shifter has literally fallen apart, b) the entire throttle body needed to be replaced and now this.
>>
>>15301488
Also the thermostat I put in myself I believe is AC Delco which makes parts for GM? So I don't know if it's considered OEM or not. I have a hard to believe the thermostat is the problem at this point.
>>
>>15301338
> Chevrolet
> General Motors
> Expecting reliability
>>
>>15301494
Could it be the A/C clutch seized?
>>
>>15301488
You're just going to have to do some diagnosis yourself and that's going to mean some tools.

Pop over to Amazon and buy an OBD2 dongle and download the Torque app (or equivalent). This will allow you to access the PCM data and you can see what the car thinks the temp is and if things like fans are commanded on but are not actually running.

You'll also need an infrared thermometer so that you can check temps of the hoses, radiator tanks etc in the cooling system. As a rule of thumb there needs to be about 80F temp drop from the inlet side of the radiator to the outlet (bottom hose). Less than that usually means a bad radiator core or no airflow while a greater drop tends to mean a clogged radiator.
>>
>Chevy Cruze
Nice cuckmobile.
>>
>>15301578
I know motherfucker. If I hit the lotto I would drive it into a lake. I owe some money on it stuff so I'm basically cucked.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.