[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Craigslist Cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: sentra.jpg (27 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
sentra.jpg
27 KB, 600x448
Is this worth maybe getting, /o/?

It's an 04 Sentra that has a blown head gasket. Has 165000 miles on it. Asking $750 OBO. Could I fix it? I don't know too terribly much about cars but would if it'd be worth it I'd do it.
>>
why do retards block the license plate on their $750 shitbox
>>
>>15298701

Was wondering the same thing
>>
>>15298692
Why not google to see if anyone has replaced the headgasket on the forums or something and see if it looks straightforward enough. Keep in mind people usually tone down the difficulty of things to make themselves look good.
>>
>>15298692
do you have the tools money for the tools, know how or balls to acquire the knowhow to pull the motor, disassemble it, and replace the headgasket?
no? then don't
yes? talk him down another $200 because that shit takes all fucking day
>>
>>15298747
you dont need to pull the motor to replace the headgasket on an average car
>>
>>15298747

I want to learn, that's the thing. I can have access to tools to do so.
>>
>>15298692
Lessee. You'd need to pull the plenum and airbox off. Then you'd need to get the intake manifold disconnected. And the exhaust manifold.

Is it a (S/D)OHC engine? Probably has a timing belt on it. That needs to come off. Make sure you mark where the cam(s) are oriented with respect to the crankshaft. Very very VERY important that it all goes back on like you took it off.

Ok, now you're ready to unbolt the head from the block. Maybe you need to remove the valve cover first, maybe not. Don't mess with the valves, just look at them. Oo, look at the pistons in the open block.

Take the gasket off the block (or the head depending on which one it's stuck to). Don't use RTV, only white trash does that. Put the new gasket on. Torque the cylinder bolts down in the specified order to the specified torque with a torque wrench. Put the valve cover back on if you took it off.

Everything else you pulled off to get to the cylinder head? Put it all back on in the order you pulled them off.

Check coolant levels, check your oil and start the engine. You didn't mess with the cam(s) at all? Good, the engine isn't misfiring.

Any of those words you didn't understand? Look them up. Watch about 10 youtube videos of people changing head gaskets. Then do it yourself.
>>
>>15298692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY
>>
>>15298772
That's if the head isn't warped which if the head gasket went is a very high possibility
>>
File: mr2_black.jpg (44 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
mr2_black.jpg
44 KB, 600x450
>>15298692
Oh fuck, it's only $4250 now

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/5581648376.html

Should I do it?
>>
>>15298692
No stay away from those sentras. They're just time bombs even after fixing them. Go for the model before or the model after but stay away from the b15s.
>>
>>15299263
>automatic
>>
>>15298692

the transmission is probably bad
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.