[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: F-GT.jpg (287 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
F-GT.jpg
287 KB, 2048x1360
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

>Ask questions that are either sensible or stupid or answer to questions if you know em.
>>
How do you reattach door panels?
>>
Are early 2000's 911's difficult to own and maintain? Should I expect it to constantly breakdown?
>>
Is a S13 240sx with an SR20 or a SW20 MR2 turbo better for boy racer shenanigans
>>
Got non oem stabilizer link. Should i be worried about it being a different size specification if amazon said it fits my car.
>>15295255
Post pic. If plastic its snapnhooknscrew.
>>
>>15295234
anyone know what you should do to break in new tires? they're low profile super sports
>>
I'm buying a car when I go to the US. I'm not a resident and I have no home address in the US. can I still buy a car?
>>
>>15295276

It's a porsche, they're fairly reliable cars compared to others in the same price range. The thing with the Early 2000's 996 911 are the IMS bearings. There's a lot to read on what to do, might as well get started now:

https://www.oregonpca.org/resources/ims-bearing-the-full-story/
>>
File: enemieseverywhere11.jpg (404 KB, 700x899) Image search: [Google]
enemieseverywhere11.jpg
404 KB, 700x899
>>15297192
no, unless yes.
>if you already have a drivers license
get an international drivers license, it basically says that you can use the license from your country. This means you won't have to take a test or take a shortened test on U.S. road laws before you can legally drive.
>you can get them from AAA here, idk where in your country
>they usually look like little books
then get a P.O. box so you can set up insurance and register it with a state, usually the one you'll be buying it in
>shop around, state laws vary widely

>if you don't have a drivers license/ can't get one in your country
you'll have to get one here won't you?
>pretty easy but again varies by state
>my state lets you use a p.o. box on your id as mailing address but you have to carry around a little brown piece of paper with your real residence on it.
>can't buy guns without the brown paper either
>also yours may say something like non-resident
>sources: personal exp and
>https://www.cga.ct.gov/2002/rpt/2002-R-0767.htm
>>
>>15298244
Thank you, all that information was really helpful. I'll be in Texas and as far as understand getting things, like insurance, there is a bit easier since they cater for all the people crossing the boarder.

I also know some people that live in Waco and Wichita Falls, so I'll get some local info from them.
>>
File: 1.jpg (221 KB, 670x470) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
221 KB, 670x470
>>15298267
>it will be a little bit easier
idk how you're going to get valid insurance or even a drivers license without a SSN, please come back and tell us how it goes
>I am so curious, will it be like special buttfuck rate foreigner insurance?
>even Umberto will have a valid stolen U.S. SSN, he needs it for his illegal job
>also aren't there vehicle inspections in Texas?
>http://twostepsonesticker.com/
>>
>>15297192
Buying a car? Yes. Registering it and getting the title to the car? Probably not. Doesn't stop the illegal Mexicans from driving though. They find a way.
>>
I've got low profile summer tires. I recently picked up a nail in the outside tread about a half inch in from the sidewall. Every shop says its not repairable, or that they're not willing to do it. I doubt my ability to repair it correctly myself.

So, I've ordered another tire from tire rack. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the tread on my tires all around, and I don't want to buy a new set yet. My question is this: which position do I want to put the new tire in? My front right is what's punctured, it's an FF vehicle.

Thanks.
>>
>>15298408
Fronts wear much much faster than the rears in an FF car so put the two tires with the most tread in the front.
>>
>>15298408
if you don't have symmetrical half-shafts, put it on the shorter CV axle
>this is usually the front left, aka drivers side americunts
>>
can i compete in a honda prelude 2.0?
>>
>>15298572
Yes if its taken care of and slightly moded.
But only against other shitboxes including i4 to v6 muscle cars.
>>
when it comes to brake pads, which is better: metallic/semi-metallic or ceramic? what kind should I use on my Ranger? thanks in advance senpai
>>
>>15299424
depends on price/value and what exactly you want in your brakes...

>do you care about brake dust
>do you often tow/haul stuff with your ranger?
>are you just slapping on pads, or are you going to do a full brake job?
>>
>>15299424
also what is a good brand? should I just get the duralast from vatozone or find something else?
>>
>>15299444
I care about brake dust to an extent
Occasionally haul stuff like lumber etc but never tow anything
just slapping pads on. I might try bleeding and adding fluid and all that, but I'm not sure because I only plan on doing the front brakes for now
>>
What does Honda's V-tech actually do?
>>
>>15299480
it kicks in
>>
>>15299468
I mean honestly if its just the front pads, then I would go with the mid-range brand of whatever your local parts store has, not the cheapest economy shit and not he $120 shit either. Also make sure to grease caliper pins. I can't remember on rangers they are floating right?
>>
I'm absolute normie with pretty much no knowledge of cars except what some of the basic parts do and how to drive one.

What's the best way to go about learning more about cars and how they operate?
>>
>>15299480
Its vvt. Glorified vvt just like skyactive vvt.
Vtec is older early vvt though. Vvt gives higher acceleration through quick rpm gains. Vvt stands for variable valve timing. Vvt also is in nearly everything made after the 90s.
>>
>>15299485
this
>>
>>15299468
>>15299504
or just order like motorcraft ones off rockauto for cheap as shit...stock pads...
>>
>>15299507
>>15299480
This is wrong. VTEC is not VVT.

VVT adjusts cam duration for optimal performance across the rev range. VTEC is variable valve lift, which kicks in at a certain RPM and acts as a secondary cam profile which opens the poppet valves on the cylinders a larger amount to flow more air and fuel into the cylinder at higher RPMS for increased efficiency and power.
>>
>>15299526
>increased efficiency and power
pick one
>>
>>15299506
Own a shitbox that breaks all the time and forces you to fix it.

Alternatively start by doing basic maintenance on your car. Brakes, oil changes, etc. Shit stupid grease monkeys can do. Then if you ever wonder what X is on your car google it.

You just build the knowledge over time. Cars are complicated machines with numerous parts. For parts like differentials and gearboxes my best suggestion for learning resources would be those old 1930s training videos on youtube. They do an absolutely amazing job showing you the working principle behind the part/setup and show you exactly how they work in an actual car.
>>
Whats the cheapest functional wideband o2 sensor w/ gauge out there? And then whats the nicest looking one?
>>
>>15299526
Anon your description of vvt sounds more like vvt-i.
>>15299535
Its only efficiency.
>>
>>15295234
Opinions on Eclipse GSX 1999?
>>
Seeing how shitbox/poorfag/cheap cars of today are typically 90's models, is it true that it 10 years poorfags like myself will drive 00's models, and if so, what cars in particular are going to age well(?) enough to fulfill that role that 95 Civics etc fill today?
>>
>>15295276
I have a 2003 C4S. Pretty reliable, some stupid quirks, but nothing that will prevent the car from running and driving reliably.
However, if you've never owned a RR/MR car, this would be a bit of a leap. Maybe get a shitbox AW11 first to familiarize yourself with the platform so you don't hurt yourself/someone else.
>>
File: 03_Alfa_Romeo_4C_Spider_2015.jpg (189 KB, 1960x1306) Image search: [Google]
03_Alfa_Romeo_4C_Spider_2015.jpg
189 KB, 1960x1306
what's the difference between the Alfa Romeo 4c and the 4c spider? The website doesn't tell me
>>
>>15299934
spödër has no rööf
>>
>Rainy day
>Manual car
>Need to reverse uphill park the car at an elevated parking lot
>Tire slips
>Clutch slips
>Can't move backwards up
I ended up doing a 3-point turn and forwarded parked the car in the lot. But what is the proper way to reverse on a uphill on a rainy day and overcome slip?
>>
is having only three main bearings per four connecting rods a death touch ?
more modern engines have five mains
and presumably a little less crank flex at high rpm
>>
I got a ticket the other day and on the ticket it says I was driving a Nissan Titan, but I was in a D21. Can I use this to get out of it at all?
>>
>>15300039
depends if there are any other witnesses or circumstances
also if you can leave reasonable doubt as to where you were at the time

my bro crashed his Austin mini on a rainy day
and although the police officer listed the vehicle as an Leyland truck
because the crash was thought to be the result of reckless driving he could not get out of the ticket
>>
>>15300058
The ticket was for ignoring a construction zone sign and using a closed road, two cops found me and my friend parked up there.
>>
How does one actually go about mixing oil with their fuel in their RX-8?
>>
>>15300071
sounds damnable
only in cases of parking fines have I heard of poor signage being used as a defence
and even if it can be shown that the signage was poorly placed or otherwise obscure they might argue ignorance of the law is no excuse

outcome will depend on the discretion of the officers and court
luck might give you only a warning and a reduced fine
>>
Would you ever go alone to a Craigslist seller? Don't have any ways of getting out to long commutes aside from bus and I'm in desperate need of a car
>>
>>15300212
paranoia tells me that a set pick up point could be used to ambush you if they insisted on cash
>>
>>15295673
s13 unless you like crashing and dying
>>
>>15300212
I wouldn't, personally. But what you do is up to your own paranoia level. Mine is off the charts.

If I had to do it alone and the seller wasn't from a good neighborhood and/or he seemed sketchy I would meet at my bank, during open business hours, I would get a cashiers check / cash and do the exchange there in the building. Title transfer, bill of sale, and cash to hand.
>>
Does 24hrs LeMans means they race around the track for a full 24 hours?
>>
>>15300296
lol? yes
>>
>>15299504
yeah they're floating
thanks senpai
one more question: is it necessary to crack the bleeder valve when I compress the caliper piston or would I be alright if I just slapped the pads in and greased the pins?
>>
>>15300323
WTF that's cool. Thanks.
>>
>>15300086
goodbye fuel pump.
>>
>>15299934
spiders are always convertibles in italy.

spider has no roof. the normal one does.
>>
>>15299828
>Eclipse GSX 1999
depends

a new like new, mint one is a 10/10 car (if you don't buy into the drivetrain meme).

2 littre turbo with 220 bhp and 0-60 in 6.5 seconds makes it stupidly fast for the price. it's certainly the best bang for buck.

the biggest downsides are the fact that finding one that hasn't been fucked to the ground by poor mods and "lol no maintence" is like finding a double rainbow.
>>
>>15298572
you can probably leave most miatas in the dust allready.

honestly, racing depends more on the driver than the car most of the times.
>>
What is the most reliable model and year for BMW?
>>
File: IMAG0807.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0807.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
I bought a brand new Chevy Sonic and have questions about engine break-in.
Is any of it necessary on today's cars? Should I get my first oil change at 1000mi? Thanks.
>>
Buying my first car in a month
And of course I want something reliable, with good mileage and fun to drive.
>up to 12000€
Yuropoor btw
>>
Why didn't McLaren make a car with a centre-driver seated position after the F1?
>>
File: tumblr_noo4pjKlrs1uvq3s5o1_500.jpg (52 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_noo4pjKlrs1uvq3s5o1_500.jpg
52 KB, 500x498
Is it uncouth to daily a classic? Even one that's not restomodded/engineswapped?
>>
>>15300904
it's impractical in all the ways possible
>>
Optimal way to drive?

E.G. When do I put my foot on the gas for optimal gas efficiency?
>>
>>15300941
jus b ur self

keep up the heel-toe game and you're golden
>>
Complete noob question: I bought a bike and manual says to use "any fuel with at least 87 octane rating".

Does that mean if pic related are my options, I could put anything except diesel and LPG in it?

If there's some leftover fuel of a different octane rating in the tank, will I be kill?
>>
>>15300964
>87 octane rating
That means 97 for yuro, so 3rd option in pic
You wont be kill, but it wont be as efficient and have the same power output.
You can put a lesser quality fuel but only if you dont have other options.
>>
File: customer-tire-dry-rot.jpg (859 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
customer-tire-dry-rot.jpg
859 KB, 1632x1224
This weekend I realised my front tires look a little like pic related (not as bad, but they're dry/cracked as fuck)

How badly should I replace them and should I just replace all four?
>>
>>15301009
I've waded a bit deeper into the manual and noticed the English part says "min. 87 R+M" while the German one says "min 91, Forschungsmethode".

I guess I'll ask an attendant when there.
>>
>>15300367
You can use a caliper compressor or a table clamp to push the pistons in, no bleeder crack needed
>>
>>15301014
If they are dry rotting, that means they are also hard, which means significantly less traction.

Replace all four.
>>
File: 20160618_155356(2).jpg (728 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160618_155356(2).jpg
728 KB, 5312x2988
>>15295234
Based on the discoloration of my headers, how is the performance of my engine?

Note how cylinders 4 and 3 are making their tubes darker than 2 and 1.
>>
File: twingo.jpg (281 KB, 706x1798) Image search: [Google]
twingo.jpg
281 KB, 706x1798
>>15301064
will do, thanks!
>>
>>15300470
Probably not necessary on a commuter, but does still have some effect (possibly 1-2 extra MPGs if done properly).

I would change the factory oil early, but again, minimal reward.
>>
>>15301101
Maybe misfiring?
>>
File: patsback.jpg (57 KB, 960x949) Image search: [Google]
patsback.jpg
57 KB, 960x949
>>15301101
Whoa those are some nice headers anon
>>
I'm going to detail my car today. I've got
>Meguiar's Gold Class Wash
>Mother's Claybar kit
>no polish
>Turtlewax Hard Shell
>a bunch of microfiber towels
>2 buckets
>a hose

Anything I should add or subtract? Also any polish? I was thinking Meguiar's Ultimate Polish but you tell me.
>>
>>15301222
It's what 50 bucks can get ya

nice trips btw
>>
>>15301265
What color is it?

Do you have a buffer?

If no buffer I suggest a high-grit polish for small scratches in the paint, going over the whole car by hand with it won't really do much. If you have a buffer and are really autistic about it but paint isn't too bad, I'd go with a meguiars polishing compound, buff the whole car, and then go across it with meguiar's mirror glaze.

If the paint is really scratched up I'd use Meguiar's rubbing compound prior to polishing.
>>
I'm going to a used car dealership to get -buttraped- my first car

I plan on paying with cash, should I mention that fact upfront or wait until the guy brings it up?

Also I plan on having a mechanic check it out before I buy. Is this standard procedure or will they give me shit for it? And do they just let me drive it there or what?
>>
>>15301317
>What color is it?
Black
>Do you have a buffer?
Nope
>If no buffer I suggest a high-grit polish for small scratches in the paint, going over the whole car by hand with it won't really do much. If you have a buffer and are really autistic about it but paint isn't too bad, I'd go with a meguiars polishing compound, buff the whole car, and then go across it with meguiar's mirror glaze.
I was thinking to get a medium light polish and just kinda do the whole car as a prep for the wax. Is that wrong?
>If the paint is really scratched up I'd use Meguiar's rubbing compound prior to polishing.
It's more or less okay.
>>
File: 2016-06-20 11.38.33.jpg (3 MB, 1711x2922) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-20 11.38.33.jpg
3 MB, 1711x2922
>>15301362
*also, would you say my hood is matte? That means I shouldn't claybar or polish on it, right?
>>
>>15296667
Just drive on them don't do anything ballsy for the first hundred miles or so since it has releasing agent still on them
>>
Hey, so I live in New York State and I own two cars - one for winter and the other for summer driving. The past three years I've transferred the plates between the two cars, and just recently I was told that when I move plates, the old car's inspection sticker becomes invalid. Is this true?

Also, winter car's inspection is due every Nov., while the summer car's sticker is every July. This year I've been late and just today got the papers, so the transfer will be done later this week. My concern is the inspection sticker - is it still good, or do I need to go get a new one immediately?
>>
>>15300941
Accelerate quickly with out being dangerous, and get to a speed that takes advantage of the torque band.
>>
>>15300448
Any bmw before the introduction of the e36
>>
>>15300384
They switch drivers out some cars have up to 4 drivers
>>
>>15300086
Ask an rx8 forum, they use 2stroke oil.
>>
>>15299909
00s civics
>>
>>15301398
Your hood doesn't have any clearcoat on it. I wouldn't touch it.

As for the rest of the car, I'd suggest Turtle Wax's black box. it should do everything you need it to in terms of detailing your car aside from the claybar.
>>
Opinions on a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT?
>>
>>15301595
Oh, so just wash the hood and leave it be?
>>
>>15301844
Yep.
>>
I drive a manual E46 330ci. During firm acceleration (3/4 throttle) under about 2K RPM the car seems to bog down a little bit. Is this a clutch problem? What's going on? It accelerates just fine past 2K under hard acceleration.
>>
>>15302030
Great, thanks for the help anon!
>>
File: 1466063269341.jpg (91 KB, 400x461) Image search: [Google]
1466063269341.jpg
91 KB, 400x461
My truck drives nicely but it's 27 years old now and I desire something different to drive but all I can afford are shitboxes.

How can I quench this thirst? This thirst for an 80s speed demon mobile.
>>
>>15302093
>Buy SA22 RX7
>Add boost
>Go fwoosh
>Blow apex seals
>Rebuild in afternoon
>add more boost
>Go fwoosher
>>
File: 1466440707486.jpg (278 KB, 620x773) Image search: [Google]
1466440707486.jpg
278 KB, 620x773
>>15295234
>about to sell '99 wrangler for 7k
>have 15k total budget for new/used car
What do I buy /o/?
>>
>>15302113
Rx7 at shitbox prices.
Boost in a box of poop.
>>
I bought a 95 NA from a guy who said he switched from conventional to synthetic about a year ago, same weight. Can I switch back to conventional or is there no point? I've heard that once you go synth, you can't go back.
>>
>>15302157
>implying
FB prices are hovering around $5k for a pristine example. FC prices hover around $3k for a pristine example. FC TII prices hover around $6k for a running example.
>>
>>15302177
What's the advantage of conventional?
>>
>>15299996
Speed and Power, unless you're Russian then just believe in the powers of cyka blyat.
>>
>>15302269
Price
>>
>>15302141
What do you need it to do?
>>
>>15302177
Unless its' chugging the oil down it's not really a huge increase depending on how many miles you're changing it.

>>15302181
rx7 T2 for 6k on a running poorly maybe.
3k for a non turbo I can't argue against that but it'll be a slowmachine.
>>
>>15302055
Is it throwing codes? how does it idle? What gear are you doing this in?

When clutch slips the revs run up faster than the speed does in the high gears until the transmission catches up to throttle input.
>>
>>15300212
Have done it plenty of times, just pick a place to meet in front of a Police station if you're super paranoid.
>>
File: sl65blackserieslive_04.jpg (272 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
sl65blackserieslive_04.jpg
272 KB, 1280x850
>>15295234
Would it have been better as a 63?
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 200x193
Im looking at buying a fiesta st within the next week or 2

At 8% tax in northern california what price should i aim for OTD also willing to drive out of state as well
>>
>>15303321
Also just the base version no add ons
>>
How can I find out if a vehicle has been reported stolen or otherwise?
>>
File: 20160620_165736.jpg (735 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160620_165736.jpg
735 KB, 2048x1152
Anyone know what this part is called? I hit the curb parking and it cracked this plastic piece on my grill, looked around and can't find replacement since I don't know what it's called

It's a Lexus GS200t
>>
>>15303806
https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Should be free
>>
>>15303085
No codes, scanned it before work today. It's idling just fine. I'm doing this in second. I unplugged and re-plugged the MAF and that seemed to fix it or at least made it run the same as before. Was it just the sensor?
>>
File: 1416427987868.jpg (358 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
1416427987868.jpg
358 KB, 1000x667
Guys I have a 2011 Dodge Charger V6. How much does it cost to change the timing chain tensioner? Labor and all? Thanks bb.
>>
File: 1459029247437.jpg (157 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
1459029247437.jpg
157 KB, 500x680
I bought some wheels with TPMS installed in them, is there a aftermarket reader i can get for my car to take advantage of them or are they useless to me
>>
>>15301577
Nice information. Thanks.
>>
>>15300933
>having two bitches side by side
>impractical
>>
How well can a FWD car handle in snow?
>>
>>15303806

depends where you are but here in Canada you just go to a registry and ask for a VIR, just give the vin and the vehicle inspection report tells you the last Province it was registered in and if its stolen etc for $15
>>
>>15298358
Yeah. They also get arrested everytime they are pulled over. After the 3rd time they are deported.
>>
>>15298408
Just repair the tire yourself. I've had plugs all through my tires, sidewall, everywhere. I had 6 plugs in one tire once. Never had a problem holding air. Drive 80-90 on the interstate constantly. No problems.
>>
>>15307114

does it have snow tires? summer tires? year rounds?
>>
what are the brightest replacement lights i can get for my nissan sentra?
>>
>>15307153
Year rounds.
>>
>>15307600
big shiny reflective plates that direct sunshine into other drivers eyes.
>>
>>15307638
no but they need to work when it's nighttime
>>
Where is the cheapest place to get a custom color bumper sticker?
>>
>>15307684
I saw a crown vic with a flashlight taped to the front
looked like it was made for a demolition derby
>>
In the UK, what is a cool cheap small hatchback for a first car, I want something a touch different from the usual Corsa or Golf.

I was thinking something like an Alfa MiTo but I am open to suggestions, I just want a cheap runaround.
>>
>>15307114
Hurr durr, AWD can only handle well in snow.

Fucking leave that mindset. Any FWD, even a corrolla does good on snow.
>>
>>15307854

Toyota Starlet Glanza? my girlfriend had one a while back here in Canada, fun little cheap hatchback and they apparently have a big following in the UK
>>
what are the differences between an i6 and v6 I've always herd one is more inherently balanced than the other but don't even know if that's true.
>>
>>15301706
buy a yota or hongda instead
>>
>>15307114
significantly better than you would think as long as you're not running shit tier tires on it
>>
>>15307633
You'll be fine as long as you don't drive like a jackass. So, be extra cautious in the winter, brake early, ease into both accelerating and braking, and for the love of all that is good, clear ALL your windows and the even the snow on top of your car! (hood, roof, trunk). Nothing worse than me driving behind a car with a ton of snow on the roof and it blows back into my windshield.
>>
If FWD cars have their engine power going to the front wheels, then why the need for a transmission tunnel and floor shifter? There's still the exhaust going underneath, but does that in of itself warrant a tunnel?

As an example, let's use a Ford Focus sedan - not trying to come off as "sporty", but rather a friendly little car to get from point A to B. If this is the case, then why not build it with a column shifter and eliminating the tunnel?
>>
>>15308815
FWD cars don't have tranny tunnels, they have exhaust tunnels. Some fwd cars that have higher trim options that include awd may have slightly bigger tunnels. The shifter in fwd cars use linkages that go forward to the transmission, have a floor shifter for a manual car is much more comfortable. Automatic cars retain this shifter location to simplify construction.
>>
>>15308832
Alright, thanks for explaining!
>>
>>15308415
An i6 aka straight-6 has 6 cylinders all in line with each other, a v6 has two banks of 3 cylinders, this creates a v shape, hence the name. The degree of slant in this v configuration can be one of several choices, 60-90-120, this has to do with a few different things. The degree angle affects the balance of the engine because the stroke of each piston, on a v6 opposing cylinders fire off starting from one end of the engine to the other but only one cylinder at a time. This causes the crankshaft to receive odd vibrations especially at high rpm. It also has to do with where the crank throws are located on the crank shaft, its complicated read up on it. Inline engines have 2 cylinders firing at the same time, this causes both sides of the engine to receive vibrations that cancel each other out. The 90 degree v6 comes from when car companys chopped off 2 cylinders from a v8 in order to save money. v8's are typically 90 degrees, as it inherently works with that many cylinders in a v shape. 120 degree v6 are extremely rare I think Ferrari made some, they are very wide, so they need a wide car, not very ergonomic. 60 degree v6 were made to make v6 packages smaller, so they added a bunch of counter weights to the crank the smooth shit out. Straight 6 are inherently balanced because of the firing orders, v6 have to be designed to be balanced and even then arent as smooth. V6 is still amazing though because of small packaging and what not, and they still can rev high.
>>
>>15308750
>>15308216
Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>15306715
I know you can purchase stand alone TPM systems that come with a control module you keep inside your car. Honestly just check your tire pressure every week by hand, really not that hard.
>>
>>15308815

fwd cars have a rod or linkage going to the trans in the engine bay, the shifter is on the floor just because thats where people are used to it. some cars like mid-00's Civic hatchbacks and Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix had manual shifters on the front dash vs the floor
>>
>>15305795
Fuck, probably a lot, why are you changing that alone? That is literally the exact process required to change a timing chain. Which is typically a lot around 300 bucks, even more some times.
>>
>>15302177
THAT IS A BIG MYTH, YOU CAN CHANGE OILS AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT.

Just make sure when you change over to get as much possible out. So you aren't mixing oils.This is more applicable to when you are going from conventional to synth, as you dont want conventional detracting from performance of synth. Make sure you let it drip for a while and change your filter. Go purolator they are they best.
>>
>>15302093
Dont buy shitty mazdas like these faggots are saying. Dorito engines are garbage, you might aswell get a shitty v8 from the early 80s.

Factory boosted cars are your best bet, an 80s z31 turbo is nice to fuck with. Fuck with the boost controller and you can run 300 horsepower without doing shit pretty much. If you are looking for cool shit get a Mitsubishi Starion or a Dodge conquest, they are the same car, 2.6l straight 4 turbo, fucking awesome styling, MUH 80's. Pretty sure there were some Factory turbo 4 cylinder mustangs in the 80s, those are cool as fuck. Or get a GMC SYCLONE, literally a boosted truck faster than ferraris of the time kek.

>Muh ferrari 348
>>
>>15301356
First off be confident when you are negotiating, tell them you are paying cash first to use that a bargaining tool to lower the price. Ask them if you can take the car to a mechanic, if they say no, just leave. They arent the only used car place where you are lol. If they accept you can just take it over there, They will take your information and shit, but whatever.
>>
I don't understand this. How did Ford's engineers convince their heads that a turbo V6 can win the LeMans?
>>
>>15300927
The great thing about living in a first world country is you can do whatever the fuck you want.

That being said, probably dont drive around a rare 1/200 ever made classic car and take the chance some 17 year old girl texting wont t bone you. Other than that drive the fuck out of it, if you can maintain it.
>>
>>15299828
I literally own one.

Honestly it is a great looking car. There are just some fucking shitty problems with it. The manual tranny is shit if you make anything over 400hp, unless you want to drop 4-5 grand on a built tranny. Get an auto gsx, do a few little mods to the tranny, clutch pack, valves, etc. and you are golden for like 800hp or more. Either tranny just get an fp manifold with a bep housing hx35, and just enjoy that shit. Easy as pie to make power and great fucking looks, just make sure your front ball joints are good and keep your suspension in good condition, grab some KYB AGX and have fun cucking everyone.
>>
>>15299480
Wow people are not very will informed, V-tec helps the cars efficiency, there are two sets of cam lobes on the cam shaft, one has low lift and duration used for efficiency, one has larger lobes and longer duration, used to make power at higher RPM, like when you need it, when you floor it to pass some one on the highway you will make more power to do the higher lift. the mechanism work on oil pressure, once the engine is spinning a certain rpm, it causes the oil pump to create a certain amount of pressure to force the higher set of lobes to activate.
>>
>>15295673
My buddy has an sw20, it is really a cunt to work on, just cramped as fuck back there. Great looks though and feels like a go kart. S13 is magical though especially the coupe version. Sr20 is good for like 400hp at most then you have to resleeve and thats a lot of money. 3sgte only needs new internals though so that could be a bonus if you want to make like 5-600 hp
>>
>>15296585
If you are referring to a sway bar link, which I think you are, There is nothing wrong with Non oem, as long as it isnt some China no name brand. MOOG is great alternative to oem, which I recommend. Amazon is very accurate for compatible parts.
>>
>>15299909
Civics are shit, they are for faggots.
>>
>>15300009
The more mains the better, 5 main bearings are literally the standard for 4 cylinders nowadays. 3 main engines are not made for performance in mind.
>>
>>15303321
There is literally an app for this shit, also how does it feel that when you drive your shitbox off the lot you are literally losing thousands of dollars in value.
>>
>>15309015
Because it can. Turbos are the best. Fuck your shitposting.
>>
Can I downshift while I'm braking?
(using manuel car for the first time)
>>
>>15309298
you should press the clutch in if you are braking to stop, and while doing so you can do anything to the gear shift, so yes.
>>
>>15309298
As long as your speed matches the gear that you're trying to shift into, I don't see why not.
>>
>>15301101
Wish I lived where everything didn't rust to shit. Oh the things I would do for even just a shiny worm clamp like that
>>
Can a slightly bent steel wheel be bent back into shape?
>>
File: 1461794061590.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1100) Image search: [Google]
1461794061590.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1100
>>15300886
twingo
>>
How severe is a blown head gasket? There's a nice geo metro over in orlando for $200 and the craigslist post says the only problem is a blown head gasket.
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 482x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 482x319
>>15309539
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE A JOKE TO YOU?!
>>
>>15309539
Could just need a head gasket or could need an engine. It depends on how badly they overheated it and how long. Plus there's a reason it needs a head gasket. Usually because it overheated from a clogged radiator, loss of coolant, bad cooling fan, etc.

Personally I'd plan on it needing an engine. Most people beat on cars until they won't go anymore and there's no reason to think this one would be any different.
>>
>>15309579
>>15309580
The fact that we posted the exact same second should enforce the fact that blown head gaskets are no joke.
>>
File: 212714.jpg (37 KB, 620x414) Image search: [Google]
212714.jpg
37 KB, 620x414
what do you guys think about the 2014 ford fusion?
>>
>>15309579
Oh man, I love Ecto Cooler!
>>
>>15309674

Fucking hivemind.

Yeah but seriously as yet a third voice of opinion, when i see the the words "blown head gasket" or "overheating", my mind automatically reads it as ***ENGINE IS KILL R.I.P. IN PIECE DO NOT PASS GO***

Theres not really any casual, inconsequential way to blow a head gasket. Its really fucking bad. Like literally the only thing worse is the engine grenading itself, which, ironically, engines like to do after they blow a head gasket and the idiot driver keeps driving at all.

The only time you should consider buying a car with a blown head gasket is if you plan on swapping in a new motor.
>>
File: 1461811004607.jpg (58 KB, 694x605) Image search: [Google]
1461811004607.jpg
58 KB, 694x605
What's a good car to learn wrenching on that has the potential to be a great car all around?
>>
File: 1446403618209.png (304 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1446403618209.png
304 KB, 500x363
>>15309882
>>
File: 1427730736226.jpg (91 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1427730736226.jpg
91 KB, 640x640
>>15308928
Well the mechanic I had said it was the tensioner that was bad. He said the chain and everything else was fine. I don't drive the car because I don't want things to get worse. I took it to the Dodge dealer and tried to pay the $110 diagnostic fee just to be sure that the tensioner is what needed to be changed. The dealer calls me and says that the car needs to go to the "heavy assembly line" or something like that and that costs $660 off rip once the car rolls in. Just to take the front part of the engine to see the timing chain. Another mechanic didn't even diagnose the car. He just looked at the engine and said "it's fucked up". Then he said he has to charge me $1700 to check the chains. After telling him no, he calls me later saying I need to change the engine which will cost me $2200 plus 2 year warranty. I told him to kiss my ass and go fuck a wrench. Wat d/o/?
>>
So I just discovered my Toyota pickup will run all the accessories (A/C, wipers, radio, etc.) if I turn the headlights on. No key in the ignition or anything. Is that normal? Everything shuts off once I kill the lights...
>>
File: tehnika_bezopasnosti_19.jpg (181 KB, 519x700) Image search: [Google]
tehnika_bezopasnosti_19.jpg
181 KB, 519x700
>>15310238
does the horn activate? if so it's a feature
>turn on headlights
>truck goes REEEEEEEEEE
if no horn it's got a hilariously bad electrical short, time to get a horror freight multimeter and a wiring schematic
>>
>>15295234

what's a middle engine, exactly?
>>
>>15310279
an engine in the middle

usually the middle of a car is anywhere between the wheels, so a Corvette is mid-front and a Ford GT is mid-rear, but in both cars the engine is within the wheelbase, so they are both mid-engined.

Normal cars usually put the engine over the front wheels, Porsches and Deloreans have the engine over the rear axle or behind it. Audi likes to put the engine ahead of the front wheels because it makes for forgiving handling.
>>
>>15310269
I recall the horn staying on for a bit when I pulled the key. Neat I suppose.

Now I need to figure out what I broke / fixed for this to suddenly start working, or if I just never noticed it.
>>
File: 1459017084427.jpg (44 KB, 601x337) Image search: [Google]
1459017084427.jpg
44 KB, 601x337
>>15309922
Thanks, any other suggestions?
>>
>>15310269
>hilariously bad electrical short

I just went outside to piss with it. it was totally this. one of the taillights low and high beam wires got crossed somehow. taillight still worked fine, oddly enough.

I wonder if that causes any extra strain on the electrical system. could be handy if I forget my keys and I need to test something quick (or I just want the radio on).
>>
File: 2015-mazda-3-review.jpg (99 KB, 728x410) Image search: [Google]
2015-mazda-3-review.jpg
99 KB, 728x410
I have a red 2015 mazda3 hatch. Is there anything I can customize for looks or will I look like a homo.
>>
>>15310702
you'll look like a homo for sure
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>15309153
Hey hothead, Whats the app?
>>
>>15301101
Probably running a little lean on the fuel/air mixture, specifically for 3 and 4. Just a bit though, it's really not too bad.
>>
Any tips for doing the alternator in the 1999 Mazda 626?

It can't come out the top unless I tear apart the intake manifold.

If I take it out of the bottom, what I've read is that I have to unbolt the exhaust.

Is there an easier way?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4080x2116) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4080x2116
Can I put 2005 Acura RSX Type S rims and tires on my 2007 Honda Civic Ex?
>>
File: IMG_20160621_155722.jpg (2 MB, 2284x2284) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160621_155722.jpg
2 MB, 2284x2284
I have a 2008 Mini Cooper. Can I just replace the engine with the sport version or is the sport version built different enough that I couldn't swap it over.
>>
>>15308894
Almost got it all

An inline engine will be more balanced due to the relative motion of the pistons, i.e. one is moving up, one is moving down. These cancel out the inertial forces on the engine.

With the pistons in a V engine, there is a component of horizontal velocity relative to the engine's center of mass, and the motion of the other pistons do not cancel this horizontal motion out, resulting in vibration.
>>
>>15309382
You're gonna fuck it up, guaranteed. Just bite the bullet and buy a new wheel
>>
>>15307600
I have some Phillips bulbs in my old civic and they're pretty good, don't know how bright you really want though
>>
>>15311242

yes they will, no issues. look up

do rsx wheels fit 2007 civic

there are a bunch of answers and all of them say no problem
>>
>>15311278

not really, only straight sixes and v12s are inherently balanced. this is due to the firing order

an inline 4 cylinder is not inherently balanced and needs counterweights

it doesn't matter if it's a v or inline or a w, all that matters is the firing order in relation to the cylinder count
>>
>>15310702
You already look like a homo, how much worse can you make it
>>
>>15311261
Swapping an engine entails much more than just swapping an engine, especially on a FWD car.

You'd be better off just buying the sport version and selling yours.
>>
>>15311371
Ehh the more I think about it, yeah. I'm used to flat-4 aircraft engines, not car engines. The balance is great on those
>>
>>15308894
>Inline engines have 2 cylinders firing at the same time,
I don't think any engines have 2 cylinders firing at the same time.
>>
>>15311381
Lolwut
>>
>>15299424
Metallic and semi-metallic usually have superior braking but tend to squeal a little and heat up faster potentially warping the rotor. They also leave a shit ton of brake dust on the rim. Ceramics have less dust, are more resistant to brake fade caused from overheating but don't stop as well.
>>
What does it feel like when your dick gets pushed in? Please be specific, I want to know what it feels like as it is being pushed in and how it feels afterward.
>>
>>15312054
Neither of those things feel much like anything
>>
>>15311358
brightest lights money can buy for front and backup lights
>>
How much would you pay for a 1-owner Neon SRT-4? The paint is completely fucked on it but the owner is a acquaintance's dad and I know he takes care of his shit.
>>
>>15295234
>currently own only a motorcycle
>considering buying a 2016 Scion FR-S this winter
>2017 GT86 incoming, FR-S will be liquidated
>save eight grand for a down payment
>between insurance and payments, it's just under a third of my income currently
>up for a raise in six months
>sell bike in the spring
How is this for a plan? I can definitely get the deposit before winter, and if I don't do the new car, eight thousand is enough for a respectable old car.
>>
2 questions.

I'm looking at getting a used late model 2 door Golf GTI. Is there anything specific I ought to know about them before buying one? I'm planning on taking it to my mechanic and having him take a look at it before buying, but is there anything else?

My friend wants to take a manual shift class. I learned from my parents, but I can't teach worth a damn. Is there anything he should be on the lookout for in the way of scams and whatnot?
>>
2009 VW Jetta S for $4.5k, any reason not to?
>>
What's the name for the cooling/heating system non ac cars have?
>>
>>15301577
>>15300384

In the old days, it wasn't required to have more than one driver, some crews actually tried using just one driver.
Now the race requires a minimum of 2 drivers
>>
>>15300964
Always go with a minimum of 91 octane
I use a fuel treatment to boost my octane, even when I buy premium
Considering the relative fuel efficiency of bikes, it's worth the extra few cents per gallon
>>
>>15311534
Anything with 8 cylinders or more must have 2 pistons firing at the same time.
In a 4-cycle, there are only 4 positions for the piston
Thusly, at any given time, 2 of the cylinders are in the same position
>>
>>15312422
i went on craigslist saying i was willing to pay someone a fair price to learn stick shift in their car. some guy got back to me saying i should buy an old manual tacoma and he'd teach me how to drive it. in return, i give him the truck.

so make sure he doesn't fall for that one.
>>
>>15312416
>Sell bike for an underpowered shitbox
Why would you ever want to do this

The great angel combustion looks down on you, anon.
>>
>>15312693
bump
>>
>>15312763
Not really, no. The camshaft can be timed for any kind of off set firig order and you usually don't want two cylinders to fire at once because vibrations.
>>
>>15312693
HVAC minus the AC, so Heating and Ventilation system
>>
>>15313148
ah thank you man
>>
>>15312950
To be fair, my bike is a Ninja 250. So I'm going from a bike that maxes out at 90 mph with no gas gauge, roof, or storage.
To a car that can do more than 100 mph, has a gas gauge, and can be driven in winter.
>>
In my 94 Crown Vic, if the temperature is too hot outside (95 degrees and up basically), my A/C emits a burning coolant smell. I'm almost certain its the heater core. Besides a heater core bypass, is there any additive shit that will seal up that heater core leak I can buy at a parts store or will it just gunk my shit up and make everything worse.
>>
was 9/11 an inside job?
>>
File: 1466537091169.jpg (42 KB, 427x452) Image search: [Google]
1466537091169.jpg
42 KB, 427x452
Ok, so.. what happens if you put your tires on the wrong way around? Do you drive backwards when passing the gas?
>>
>>15313609
Maybe.
Jet fuel doesn't have to melt steel beams.
It only has to plasticize them, which it is capable of doing.
Shit, I'm pretty sure about any petroleum fuel is capable of doing that.
>>
>>15313621
water and dust go to the centre of the tire and causes less grip
>>
>>15313627

Jet fuel doesnt have to melt steel beams to knock down the towers.

Jet fuel does, however, have to melt steel beams to have molten steel pouring out of windows and a small lake of molten steel underneath the rubble that smoldered for like a week.

Check m8 m8 also check em m8
>>
>>15313595
Yes, you can buy those leak stopper cans, but I would never use them exactly for that reason.
>>
would it be difficult to replace the engine in a cherokee with the inline 6 made for the car. car and engine/components under consideration match up exactly according to research.
>>
2012 exl v6 supercharged accord for ~14k in usd
should i go for it?
looks well taken care of,90k miles i think,blacked out
even without the supercharger that's a pretty good deal but i just thought maybe id ask here first
>>
>>15309298
That's when you're meant to downshift. Otherwise you'd either shift into the correct gear before braking and blow your engine, or stay in a high gear whilst braking to a halt and stall the car.

Generally I downshift while braking at the opposite engine speed of my upshifts. If I'm upshifting at 4k rpm in second and end up at 3k rpm in 3rd, I'd downshift at 3k rpm in 3rd and end up at 4k rpm in 2nd.
>>
>>15313360
>Not getting a liter
No peter.
>>
sup guys, what is that white tape that stretches sideways but now longways. come on a plastic white roll. the tape is very soft. I ran out of the shit and cant remember the name. I use it to make a threaded oil pan plug fit tighter to stop a 5ml a day leak on my sump pan.
>>
>>15312763
you simply don't understand engines
>>
>>15314501
ptfe (teflon) tape
>>
Alright, /o/, I come to you in my hour of need.
>what I've got
1994 Ford Ranger 2.3L 5spd
>what the problem is
Fuel injectors are not firing.
>what I know
I have 12 volts at the hot wire(s), but the ground pulse isn't coming through. If I ground them manually, they do fire, and the ground wire(s) are continous back to the ECM. I have correctly timed spark, so the CPS is working (I think? Unless there's a seperate Hall Effect sensor for the injectors.) Throttle position sensor is working correctly, so it shouldn't be in "flood clear" mode.
>what I suspect
Either there's another condition that prevents the injectors from firing, like the "flood clear" mode that's currently active, or the ECM is jacked.
Any advice br/o/s?
>>
do corvettes come with a spring/damper setup?

i keep finding conflicting info on corvette suspensions

forums keep talking about springs which implies that corvettes have coilovers, but everywhere else I read I keep finding that they have those leaf spring things that link the L&R together at front and rear with seperate dampers for each wheel?
>>
>>15315244
OK disregard this, but new question: why do I keep seeing 'coilover' kits for corvettes if they don't utilize coil springs and rather a leaf spring?
>>
How hard would it be to buy a manual vehicle?
Only reason i want one is for the fun of shifting gears. I would plan on driving it 3 out of the 4 seasons if possible. Being a poorfag i might end up making it my main car anyways.
I've looked online nd shit, but so far i have very little options where i live
>>
File: classes.png (102 KB, 1105x683) Image search: [Google]
classes.png
102 KB, 1105x683
Guys, im going to college this coming fall, where do i start?

I was thinking Suspension, brakes and power systems first but im not entirely sure.
>>
Would you guys drive an old Buick like this in real life?
>>
>>15315365
Don't go to college to turn wrenches. Get certified if you really want to, but work on a real major in the mean time.
>>
>>15315653
Ill be doing both at the same time. Time and money are not a problem. Its only 8 weeks anyway. Seeing as its knowledge that will serve me well for years to come, its worth it.

I could learn by myself, but theres no fun in that. I dont have a garage or spare space to work on cars either...
>>
>>15315730
Electrical systems is also very useful nowadays
>>
>>15315211
Me again. Confirmed bad ECM. Time to drag out the wallet.
>>
File: 00j0j_aVyTKbAGwbW_1200x900.jpg (126 KB, 1200x811) Image search: [Google]
00j0j_aVyTKbAGwbW_1200x900.jpg
126 KB, 1200x811
Should I do it? My truck is currently getting 10 miles to the gallon.
>>
>>15315834
Jesus Christ, I'm fucking up today.

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/5609333229.html
>>
>>15315834
>https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/cto/5609333229.html

i had this car. ugly inside, you get used to it and looking at the middle for the speedometer. no odometer in the one i had, wimpy acceleration, 33-ish miles per gallon in a city with a fair amount of highway driving, i had zero problems for the three years i used it.
>>
is it important what type of tube i use for air intake parts?
can i grab some rainwater rubber tube or does it have to be some special shit
>>
>>15309764
I have very little white smoke coming out of my tail pipe, does that automatically mean head gasket leak? Haven't seen any other symptoms like milky oil or coolant loss.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (8 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
8 KB, 194x259
>>15295234
Is there any negative effect of adding stickers to the underside of the hood?
I own a brz and intend to do all that modding with it, but dont want to ruin its pure aesthetic.
>>
I want something cheap, fast, open top and can tow a small trailer across rough terrain at negligently fast speeds. I have $10k. What do?

Was thinking a beat up F-body or old corvette. Maybe with a slight lift.
>>
File: 6979476170_cb9db81d51_z.jpg (182 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
6979476170_cb9db81d51_z.jpg
182 KB, 640x427
I have an 88 mr2 with what seems to be a bad piston ring. I did a compression test and all cylinders came back okay except cyl 3 with 150 psi and cyl 4 around 130 psi. Spraying a little oil brought cyl 4 back up to about 150.

Anyway I don't have a lot of mechanical experience. The most difficult thing i've done is rebuilding the distributor. What's the cheapest way to fix this issue? Pay someone to rebuild the engine? Buy used one off craigslist? Buy one from an importer? Try to rebuild it myself?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>15316895

To clarify compression was
175 175 150 130(up to 150 with some oil)
>>
>>15316895
None of your options are cheap.

Simplest way would be to buy another known good engine.

Possibly keeping the old to rebuild and or improve, if you have enough spare time.
>>
>>15316271
Heat from the engine will degrade the stickers more quickly and make them more difficult to remove.
>>
>>15315316
Maybe a complete swap or just a set that only coils the front.

Some special models of corvettes actually did not come with a tranverse leaf spring
>>
File: mushroom-cloud-624x467.jpg (46 KB, 624x467) Image search: [Google]
mushroom-cloud-624x467.jpg
46 KB, 624x467
Okay, when you rev a v8 engine like in a Mustang, does the engine move with the transmission from side to side or is just the engine?
>>
File: 1326319499779.jpg (6 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
1326319499779.jpg
6 KB, 252x252
>>15317137
>>
>>15313072
>>15315057
Not the op, but offsetting firing orders does smooth the engine.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.