[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yo, Idk if asking for auto advice is allowed, but I figured it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: car.png (468 KB, 559x993) Image search: [Google]
car.png
468 KB, 559x993
Yo, Idk if asking for auto advice is allowed, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Temps just started getting pretty high this summer, and as I was driving home from work yesterday I felt like my car was acting pretty sluggish. I turned down the radio and realized my motor sounded like it was struggling, then looked at my temp gauge to see that it was almost topped out.

I pulled over and my coolant reserve was pretty much bone-dry. I topped it off with some 50/50 and it cooled off almost instantly.

I just checked it for the first time since yesterday evening and the reserve tank is empty again.

There was cooler under the radiator cap, but the level looked a little low.

I also ran the car for a few minutes after filling it back up, but the only visible leak is coming from a hose running alongside my transmission fluid tank (pic related), and it doesn't have the smell or texture of anti-freeze, just plain water. I figured it was just condensation from the A/C.

So, what should I do next? I'd like to pin this down ASAP and I'd appreciate the help.
>>
Check everywhere for any leaks.
Keep 2 jugs of Coolant in your trunk.

Drive it around at lower speeds with the A/C cranked and see if it starts overheating or not.
If it does then pull over and let it cool off.

Best situation, leaky hoses.
Middle tier, needs new radiator and thermostat.
Worst, headgasket leak or water pump is going out.
>>
>>15290037
>Yo, Idk
stopped reading
>>
>>15290037
What that green shit if not coolant faggot.
>>
>>15290094
Just got back from a 5 minute drive. Did like you said and no over-heats, which I guess means it a slow leak. Good or bad? Either way, I'm still not sure where it's coming from.

>>15290149
I don't know. I didn't notice it before and I just checked again with a flashlight and didn't see anything green. My best guess is it's something with my camera.
>>
>>15290037

does your operating temps run a little higher than normal?

I have a bad headgasket that will still hold the pressure but if i don't use the car every few days the pressure will seep out and it will leak coolant but you couldnt ever tell it was leaking

put a cardboard box under your car and leave it there overnight and see where the coolant falls out and look around that area for clues.
>>
>>15290298
I'm not sure. You may be looking for something more specific, but usually eyeballing the temp gauge shows the needle at dead center. This last drive I took it was just under that, if it tells you anything. I'll definitely try the cardboard.
>>
>>15290242
>5 min drive
Nigga.
Go for an hour drive in order to figure it out.
No freeway, below 30mph if possible
>>
>>15290037
What kind of car is it? And i had a similar problem in my impreza, was going through a jug of coolant a day and it wouldnt raise tempature for like 10 miles. Didnt see any visible leaks. Turned out to be my water pump which is yet another problem that suybaru engines frequently have -_-
>>
>>15290375
I'll do that first thing in the morning. I've got plenty of country roads to cruise on, I just figured it wouldn't take that long.

>>15290393
03 Xterra, around 200K miles
>>
>>15290433
Any idea on if the water pump has been replaced? 200k is quite a lot of miles on it if its stock
>>
>>15290433
Most coolant shops will test it for free by the way. just walk into one and see if they can tell you whats wrong.
>>
>>15290433
>morning
Wait til its hot out, like Noon
>>
>>15290094
A stuck thermostat wouldn't make coolant disappear, it would make the engine overheat though.

A busted water pump might make coolant leak, but I think it would just make the engine overheat mostly.

Now a blown head gasket - that would make coolant disappear.

OP, pull your oil filler cap off - do you see any milky residue on it at all? Oil and coolant when they mix form this milky looking sludge. Have you noticed your exhaust going white at all? Sometimes when a headgasket goes it really goes and you get these billowy white exhaust fumes, but not always. You almost always get that milk on the oil cap.

If it is a headgasket (or waterpump), get that seen to ASAP.
>>
>>15290037
If it is the head gasket, if the car is old and busted and you're a poorfag, and can't afford a new head gasket, there are dodgy ways of trying to repair it by putting shit in the coolant that might seal the leak. It's gay to do it, but it might get a few more months of life out of the engine.
>>
>>15290452
Not sure, but I'll check into it.

>>15290465
I've got a shop I like, but it's an hour drive. If my drive tomorrow doesn't get too disastrous I'll try to take it up Monday.

>>15290469
Note taken

>>15290564
I'll also check this tomorrow. Haven't seen any white smoke that I'm aware of.

>>15290583
Yea I'm kind of fucked if it's too expensive. I MIGHT be able to afford 3-5 hundred. Might.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.