[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are flip up helmets safe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 300x253) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 300x253
Are flip up helmets safe?
>>
>>15277577
If it's DOT approved, no
>>
Not as safe as proper helmets
>>
>>15277577
it seems the motorcycle police usually wear this kind of helmets. Seems pretty cool when you can eat without taking your helmet off
>>
>>15277577
NO.
>>
>>15277708
Someone recommend me a good quality beginner helmet that doesn't look gay
>>
>>15277767
Bell Qualifier
>>
>>15277577
I really like the convenience of a flip up but the thought of my face being ground down while I'm unconscious scares me
>>
>>15277577
No because when an accident occurs high chance your chin gets rekt first.
>>
>>15277767
How a helmet looks doesn't matter. Not as much as how it protects you. Get a full face, and feel grateful that you have a piece of safety equipment. Instead of a brain bucket of lies and prayers.
>>
>>15277577
No. Get a proper full face. Arai is awesome if you have the coin, but even Walmart tier full face is better than most expensive flip.
>>
>>15277577
there's ~30% that your chin will make contact when you have a crash and structurally joints are often the point of failure.

If you want to risk looking like a WW1 mustard gas victim by all means roll them dice. I would prefer to be able to chem my food though.
>>
>>15277767
>being such a faggot that cares about how, an object whose only use is safe lives, makes him look.
>>
>>15277577
Safety is relative. Wearing a turn of the century leather football cap is safer than riding without any helmet at all. Modular helmets like that one tend to be weaker at reducing the force of side impacts, even super premium Schuberth helmets fall short here.
If you want to be reasonable sure of your cranial safety when riding look for ECE, DOT ratings, *and* look up the helmet's SHARP rating.

>>15277582
DOT approval by itself really doesn't matter.
>>
I changed from a Shoei Multitec to an Arai Chaser recently and the biggest difference is the weight. Also, the full face is quieter because there isn't the gap around the chinpiece. The only downside is that taking my glasses off to put the helmet on is a minor irritation.
>>
File: 20160504_140201.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160504_140201.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
Kek i have the cheapest helmet i could find and its a chink flip up
>>
>>15279271
>>15278007
Why doesn't anyone sell simple full face helnets? They all have awful designs and colors
>>
>>15279539
biltwell, simpson, bell, arai and icon all have decent looking simple helmets
>>
Shoei or Arai full face, most expensive your can afford. Brain injuries are not reversible, you learn to cope, you never heal.

I've known a couple people with TBIs, it goes in one direction. They never ever, recover back %85+.
>>
>>15279554
I've told this story before, but when I was about 16 my brother's friend was in a bad wreck where his kickstand penetrated through his helmet, and pierced into his brain. The guy ended up losing about half of his brain. He retained his personality, but couldn't deal with short term memories, had constant bouts of crying, and had major long term coordination and motor issues. Now as an adult I'm sure that he had more lasting impact in his personal life that others couldn't see, though thats not something any outsider could ever understand.
He could still use both his hands in day to day tasks, he could still walk, and talk, but part of him was like a shell of a man. Pretty scary to see people like that. Its always a fear in the back of my mind that I'll end up like that. Part of the reason why I have a DNR.

tl;dr don't buy a cheap helmet. Do your research, and ride safe.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466132337663.jpg (86 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466132337663.jpg
86 KB, 720x960
>>15279271
>caring about how your car/bike/clothes/face looks
>>
>being anal about safety when you ride a motorcycle on the same roads as drunk brotruck drivers

I don't understand you bikefriends
>>
>>15279531
typical scoot
>>
>>15279583
>kickstand penetrated through his helmet

Was his helmet made out of jello and kickstand a sharp knife? And how the fuck did a kickstand hit his head. If youre going to invent a story at least make it believable
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.