[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why so many people keep telling me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (208 KB, 504x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208 KB, 504x436
Can someone explain to me why so many people keep telling me to buy metal rims for my winter tires instead of using my alloy rims?

I've been driven 2 cold as fuck canadian winters with them and I've had no issue other than them being getting dirty. They have no scratches nothing. Someone even told me my aluminium rims will break down in the winter cold, snow and road salt...?
>>
All rims are metal.
I just thought you should know.
>>
>>15248640
They bend easier if you hit something hidden in the snow or by chance slide on ice into something.

Thats the only good reason I know. Steelies are much cheaper to replace.
>>
>>15248640
alum rims are painted and clearcoated
salt eats clearcoat.
steelies arent a meme
>>
>>15248753

Not op but anything past 2010 has corrosion resistant rims as standard.
>>
>>15248640
Steel is real. Better ask /n/
>>
>>15248741
koenigsegg makes carbon fiber one
>>
File: corrosion.jpg (77 KB, 535x275) Image search: [Google]
corrosion.jpg
77 KB, 535x275
>>15248640
This can happen
>>
File: 6446462.jpg (88 KB, 1200x965) Image search: [Google]
6446462.jpg
88 KB, 1200x965
I think its mainly because it'll be wheels you dont give a shit about, and because steelies are cheap. Winter tires are, as I understand it, something you have to buy aftermarket in the US, and nobody really ever includes it with the car when you're buying it new

Here in Norway nearly all cars sold new come with alloy wheel sets with tires, for both summer and winter
>>
File: 1281473551532.jpg (67 KB, 800x568) Image search: [Google]
1281473551532.jpg
67 KB, 800x568
The winter OEM steelies i got with my corolla shitbox are lighter than the summer """""""alloys""""""" for the same car.
>>
>>15248741
>All rims are metal.

Factually incorrect. Some are made of carbon fiber(see Mustang GT350R), and in the past, some were wooden.
>>
>>15248640
>I've been driven 2 cold as fuck canadian winters with them and I've had no issue other than them being getting dirty. They have no scratches nothing. Someone even told me my aluminium rims will break down in the winter cold, snow and road salt...?

And they were correct. Salt, grit, and moisture from ice and snow are not a good environment for any metal, and you are risking your aluminum wheels when you could just get a set of steel wheels that can be beaten on, and come spring cleaned up, painted and stored away for the next season. If you get into a real bad situation and smack a curb or manage some other damage, the steel wheel is much cheaper to fix or replace.
>>
>>15248640
Steels are
>cheaper
>stronger (and can be bent back into shape). Good when you hit something hidden by the snow
>heavier, better for snow.
I've driven past two winters on my alloy rims but that is due to not having a second set for my winters. Saving up for a steel pair for this year onward.
>>
File: 1272237573037.jpg (55 KB, 784x558) Image search: [Google]
1272237573037.jpg
55 KB, 784x558
>>15251931
>heavier
not necessarily, see >>15251817

But probably 99% of the time yes
>>
>>15250605
And that lasts for how long?
Bitch ass nigga
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.