[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, Really torn here. I have over $20,000 saved for my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (332 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
332 KB, 1024x683
Hey guys,

Really torn here. I have over $20,000 saved for my dream car. I don't know if I should buy a 67 Impala, and LS it, or maybe take my Volvo 245 and put an LS3 in it, creating a monster wagon... or just buy a fucking WRX or STI Wagon.

This is the first time I've been in position to do this, and knowing how much $20,000+ could buy when it comes to making my dream car is very odd for me.
>>
>>15239874
Plus, I've always loved subaru's, but 20k to buy a 2 year old Subaru with like 30k-50k on it, with a shit interior, versus probably spending less on a project car with more horsepower, and a new tranny and engine.
>>
>>15239874
i would never personaly spent that amount of money on a subaru, kust buy an impala becouse it looks beutifull, rides great its comftortable it has nice sound and basicly it's an all around great car, but maybe you should just restore it from top to bottom change the suspension make it look great and reliable suspension it's a reverse order of getting the car done i guess but you'll se you dont always need 1000hp becouse it's not that important especially in a car like that. at least that's how we restore our USA cars here in europe
>>
>>15239922
and here is a video which will describe my thoughts more clearly becouse my english is not so great and i can't express my thoughts with writing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogomhwse3ig
>>
>>15239874

>probably spending less on a project car with more horsepower, and a new tranny and engine.

Not happening.

Dunno if you're after a stick or auto, but a built 4l80e or a newer T56 will both run north of $2500 for the trans alone, not counting cross member, clutch and/or flex plate, starter that you'll probably have to buy to match it, new driveshaft, shifter for either one, etc. It gets spendy quick.

Same with the motor. Try buying an LS motor if you're in a rush, the best you'll find is $1500+ with no harness. If you hunt around and/or have a decent wrecking yard near by, you might be able to score a truck motor for $500, but where I am all the yards want $1k+ for those with no harness or accessories.

So figure you'll be into engine/trans for $8k min, probably more after small parts. $4k per will probably get both in the car and working, though you'll be running a mostly stock LS motor at that point.

Then you have to deal with the rear end. 12 bolt? Get ready to buy gears, axles, probably a posi carrier, and brakes if it's been sitting for a while. And you'll probably end up with drums out back unless you want to buy a swap kit. That's assuming you already have the 12 bolt. If you buy one, they're like $1k for essentially a decent housing that needs a full rebuild anyway. A newer ford 8.8 can be had for half that, and for $300 you can get the stock 11" discs out back brand new, with calipers/rotors/pads/brackets. You'll still be in it for close to $2k or better after you do 31 spline axles, posi carrier, gears, seal/bearing kit, assuming you set it up yourself. Then you just have a good rear end, you don't even have it in the car yet, which will add cost. $3k would probably cover the whole rear end into the car though.

So now you're at $11k and you have a driveline that won't break until you get north of 800 HP or so. You still don't have decent brakes. You still have 20+ year old suspension components and a shitty interior.
>>
>>15239966
>>15239966
I'm buying an LS3 for about $6,000

11k isn't that bad. I mostly care about turning that Volvo into a sleeper.,

I do see what you're saying though. All the subaru's I see are $20k+ and I have cash. Seems like a better idea to build what I want
>>
>>15239966

I don't know what the car market is like where you're at, but assuming you spend $5k on a decent car to start with, you're now at $16k of your $20k budget. You can very, very easily blow $4k or better on suspension alone, or brakes, or even just a nice paint job. And you'll still have a bunch of little nagging issues, and the thing will probably never be 100% perfect.

Now, I'm not saying this to discourage you from buying an old car and building it up. That's what I'm doing and it's great. You should just be aware that it takes time and a hell of a lot more money than you would initially expect.

You'll also probably find that you need a fair few specialty tools that you didn't know about until you start tearing into things, which adds cost without actually putting anything on the car. Unless you have access to a well equipped shop or something.

So yeah, if you just want something fun to drive out of the box, get the Subaru. If you want a project that'll keep you busy for a few years, buy something older and have fun.
>>
>>15239994
>>15239994
I already own the Volvo with a clean body.

I can buy a solid Impala for $25,000.

I guess I'm just deciding what to do.
>>
>>15240022
I'm in the process of swapping an LM7 into my volvo right now desu.
You can do it a lot cheaper than 20k, my budget is like 3k.
So far what I've got
Engine - 300 dollars
ECU and wiring harness - 150
Rebuilt transmission - 200
The car itself - 400
Sick ass wheels - 300
Ford 8.8 axle w/ limited slip - 180
Custom driveline - 300
>>
>>15239874
Impala. Even if you don't succeed in upgrading the driveline, it'll still be a special car to you. The others won't.

Also, fuck the LS, get yourself a big block instead. It's a fullsize car, it wants a fullsize engine.
>>
>>15239934
IS THIS THE NEXT TAKUMI CAR
>>
impala. Cherish that sweet ride for the rest of your days. Never ever consider selling it.
>>
>>15240077
Bro, have an email I can hit up for tips?
>>
>>15240361
Yep, [email protected] or just join the IRC channel #/g/speakersquadron on rizon
>>
>>15239874
just remember any money you put into a project car you will never, ever, get back.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.