[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about purchasing a MEME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: MEME.jpg (183 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
MEME.jpg
183 KB, 1200x900
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5619477354.html

This looks a bit sketch, but it's gone down in price enough that I could reasonably buy it for a project, that I will end up dailying.

Before I proceed, I thought to consult the automotive experts. Here are my questions/concerns.

How shitty will a welded diff be?
How easy is it to take care of that rocker and floor rust?
What the fuck is up with that front bumper?
Why is it carbed when 4A-GE's were EFI, and how does it affect driving?

My plans are to daily it. Of course I would have to patch up the rust properly (is that even possible those are kind of big holes). Next up would be getting a proper LSD and setting up EFI. After I take care of the important stuff, then I will go full dagumi.
>already has 11k taco

Any input is appreciated.
>>
There's no point. The car is rusted to hell. It'll break in half if you try to drift it.
>>
>>15236893
I want to daily it above all, but it sucks that drift is not really possible.

I'll have to go and peek at the inside more closely.
>>
>$2200
>for a rusted out 30 year old econobox
>with no interior and a welded diff
>all because of a cartoon
>>
>>15236909
The interior is there, just not installed if you read the ad.
>>
>>15236904
You can see the holes from the pictures. It's a Flintstone car.
>>
>>15236886
Tbh I think that manifold with the sport bike carbs is cool as fuck.
>>
Buy a Miata in better shape for the same price and never look back.

I think these cars are cool as hell but that's like an 800 dollar car to me
>>
you are looking at probably 2500-4000 USD of welding

>interior removed but have most of it

kek. he's missing at least half of it.

>welded diff
>DD

no
>>
>>15236924
>Miata
That's what I keep getting told, but I've been dying to get an 80's Toyota (MR2 86 or Supra)
>$800
No fucking way I am going to pay $2200, but most I would go for it would be $1000.
My main problem is figuring out how much it would cost to unfuck the car (which is probably going to end up being more than it is worth).
>>
>>15236939
>2500-4000 USD
well fuck

Oh, I also found that new LSDs are only $350 or so online. Not too bad.
>>
>>15236886
>What the fuck is up with that front bumper?

FRONT END DAMAGE
R
O
N
T

E
N
D

D
A
M
A
G
E

Go look for a 1st gen RX7 is you absolutely must have something old and slow with a solid axle.
>>
File: its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg (23 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg
23 KB, 320x240
Thanks guys.

I'll probably go look at it this weekend and see what happens. I probably won't buy it, but I can't help but feel that it will end up scrapped and that will make me very sad. Hopefully I can convince the owner to part it out if we can't make a deal or the frame is too fucked.

I might make a thread afterwards but I probably won't because there most likely won't be anything of value to report.

>>15236973
I would if I could. There haven't been any on craigslist for ages.
>>
>>15236945
It is seriously many thousands of dollars worth of body work to make that car good. I'd only buy it if I had a nice MIG welder at home, and an assload of time. Then I'd rattle can it and beat the piss out of it.

...you could probably find a faster 2nd gen supra for less than that thing would end up costing with all the body work involved and it would still have an interior. Literally 3-4000 diggery doos gets you a pretty nice supra where I live. Last year a guy offered me an automatic supra for 700 dollars. A little rusty and beat up, but he was literally driving around when he offered it to me.
>>
I remember looking at a stripped out foxbody Capri once that was in better shape than that POS at half the price.
>>
>>15237010
Stripped out V6 mustang (the ugly ass ones) with a 5 speed for 600 around my area.
>>
>>15237017
nah, this was a 5.0 with a 4 speed (I didn't ask what had happened to the original tranny). it couldn't idle for shit, but it would have been one hell of a beater.
>>
>>15237029
The V6 would have been fun to hoon on but I bet the one I saw would have blown up shortly after I got it since the PO used it for the same thing.
>>
File: IMG_0087.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0087.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My first car was an 86. I loved it and would totally buy another one despite it being super overpriced and objectively awful in every way, but this one is worthless, sketchy as fuck, and I promise you will regret every minute of owning it.

>Why is it carbed when 4A-GE's were EFI, and how does it affect driving?
Carb conversions are actually pretty common for AE86's. They're a cheaper and simpler alternative to ITB's, without the need for a standalone ECU, and more importantly, they look and sound cooler.

This one is a converted SR5. GTS hatches go for about 4-5k minimum, stock SR5's in perfect condition are worth under 3k. That could also explain why it's carbureted, less wiring to deal with.

>>15236973
This. The engine bay is the same color as my car, it probably had a GTS front clip welded on. The headlights and reflectors are also missing, and replacements are not easy to find. The front bumper looks weird because it was replaced (OEM ones are painted) and the fitment is off.

For the love of god OP, don't buy this shitbox.
>>
>>15236886
>4A-GE's were EFI
not all
>>
UK fag here

That would be probably snapped up for that price or maybe more/bit less because import market for hatchirockoooous is so inflated. Definitely not for $800, here atleast, so go get it OP
>>
>>15236924
Miatas are the gayest """enthusiast""" car. You got one because they are slow as fuck so you have an excuse to get smoked by literally any car (yes even on the toe-gay). This is not even taking into account that it's a girl car.

These are the FACTS anon. So tell me again why you got a miata?
>>
>>15237380
>converted SR5

Now I get it. That makes a lot of sense. That's why they put in a welded diff, and why everything seems so off.

Anyways, the listing is gone now. So I can't even get it anyways. Which is a shame, because my mom said she still has her MIG welder.
>>
>>15236939
>Not just welding it yourself

wtf /o/
>>
>>15238159
did one of you fuckers snatch op's car
>>
Whoever bought it is gonna hate life, that thing was shitty af
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.