[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calling /o/! About to be stranded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 20160424_112804_HDR~01.jpg (949 KB, 1850x2350) Image search: [Google]
20160424_112804_HDR~01.jpg
949 KB, 1850x2350
Hey guys, could really use some of you wisdom here...

Sit rep... Just drove almost 1200 miles to visit family in another country. Barely had the money for this trip and car has gone into ITS TOTALLY FUCKING FUCKED MATE mode.

The car... 2005 Altima 2.5
The problem... She seems too be not getting gas or struggling to get gas.

It started at a pit stop when the wife stepped on the gas while starting it. Assumed she flooded it, let it sit and it started.

Got to motel that night and checked in. Went to move car and it wouldn't start, starter was doing its thing but the engine sounded like it was starting to turn over but wouldn't actually start. After a few minutes it started.

Next day we were at another pit stop. Was hot out so turned on AC. Backed out of parking spot, put it in drive and it stalled. Took a minute to restart. We had not used AC up to this point, so decided too keep it off. Maybe a electrical problem? Car had no issue blasting tunes or using car chargers for our phones so I don't think that's likely.

Got to our destination and entered city driving. Noticed the engine idle was unusually low at red lights. It was barely above the second larger marking above 0, so about 500rpm or less. (pic semi related)

Got to family's house. Park car and greet everybody. Go to move car to unpack. Won't start. Same as before, starter sounds fine, engine just not firing up. Almost sounding like I ran out of gas.

Taking the car to a shop up here in maple syrup land is not an option. I have zero funds for it. Any insight would be severely appreciated as I need to head back 1200 miles home in a week.
>>
Buy plane tickets
>>
Could be fuel filter or the pump. But if it seems to run fine while you're on the gas, I don't think that would be it.
>>
How old is the fuel filter / pump?

As you're in maple syrup land, how rusty is it underneath?
>>
>>15236524
>not driving when you're with your wife/gf
cuck.

i'd start by getting the battery tested no matter how recent it was tested or replaced. Then i'd get the computer checked for any normal codes or pending codes. I'd see if the engine starts after turning the key on (so the fuel pump runs) and waiting 15-30 seconds before starting. Repeat if necessary to build fuel pressure.
>>
>>15236524
Does it accelerate slow or hardly at all when you stomp on it? could be clogged fuel filter
>>
>>15236524
>Starter doing its thing

As in just clicking repeatedly?
If so not enough juice, use a jump box to get moving or get a jump then buy a new battery since yours is not holding enough of a charge also check and make sure something isn't drawing power all the time that shouldn't, in the short term hook the battery to a charger and hope it sticks for a while to get home, can possibly get you home if it runs and you don't cut the car off for longer than an hour and the alternator functions right
>>
Possibly a vacuum leak or a fuel pump going bad.

>>15236592
>getting the battery tested

ignore this cuck
>>
>>15236524
Where in maple syrup land OP?
>>
>>15236524
Sounds like a fuel pump to me, or possibly a relief valve in the fuel rail jammed open. Obviously something with delivery of fuel. Take it to a shop and have them run diagnostics on it if you can, check fuel pressure at idle and see how quickly it drops off when you turn the car off after fully warming up (should hold pressure for a while if spill valve is working properly). Fuel filter could be as well.
>>
VACUUM LEAK
A
C
U
U
M

L
E
A
K
>>
Thanks for the replies guys/gals/cucks

>>15236589
fuel pump & filter are original to the car. car has more rust than i like, but thats what you get from an 11yr old car and also living up here for a few winters

>>15236592
ill get the battery tested just as a precaution

>>15236602
no, accelerates just fine when we had to step on it to pass on the highway. that being said we babied it as much as possible. always kept revs at around 2500, doing 65mph, and light on the gas whenever possible

>>15236606
no it was more than just clicking, my terminology may of been wrong. it sounded completely normal, but the engine would just not fire up and occasionally sounded like it was about to fire up but just ran outta gas

>>15236651
i will see about getting them both inspected and tested if possible. very unfamiliar with the fuel delivery system in cars

>>15236680
Winnipeg Eh

>>15237009
>>15237014
good to know, i will see what kind of checks or diagnostics can be done to try and single out if any of that is the problem

I have the car going to a mechanic, he is a friend of the family and has a full blown lift in his own garage. so i will talk to him about the items suggested here and hopefully we can find the source. if the vehicle broke down returning home we would be completely fucked so heres hoping...
>>
>>15236524
Is your check engine light on?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.