[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just finished mechanics school >start looking for jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: noose1.jpg (562 KB, 1000x1502) Image search: [Google]
noose1.jpg
562 KB, 1000x1502
>just finished mechanics school
>start looking for jobs at dealerships
>its been 3 months already and have not heard one word from anybody

WTF do dealers only hire experienced people? how am i suppose to get that experience of nobody wants to give me a chance? the career services at my school was shit and busy always trying to help others. waiting on them i better help myself. everybody i know tells me just to specialize in one brand and to work for a dealer cause there are benefits unlike a small shop. my dads mechanic told me this. at the small shop he works in he does about 12hour shifts 6 days a week with a fucked up boss. how he wishes he could work for a dealership but can't because he isnt a US citizen. i'm getting desperate /o/. so far i have a tool box sitting in my living room and its not pretty.
>>
Time to start changing tires and oil
>>
File: FB_IMG_1465397570092.jpg (245 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1465397570092.jpg
245 KB, 1200x900
Get a job in a small Shop
Get experience
Get a job in a dealership

Life is a bitch
>>
>>15235994
Over here in Australia its the opposite. They almost exclusively hire apprentices because theyre cheaper and just treat them like slave labour. Small workshops are where its at
>>
Don't be in a hurry to land somewhere, it's going to be shitty no matter what for the next 10 years so enjoy your temporary vacation before entering the mines
>>
Which school did you go to?

I went to Universal Technical Institute and along with core automotive classes, I also took performance engines, Nissan, and Toyota.

It took me 2 weeks to find a job at a Toyota dealership. I just walked in, showed them my ASE and Toyota certs, moved my box of half-price snap-on tools into a bay and started working the next day.

It's really not that hard. Do you have any form of certification?
>>
>>15237843
mine didnt have any. i went to lincoln tech. i live in NYC. their school is in queens. their other core had core classes but in new jersey. i have no certitications
>>
>>15235994
>WTF do dealers only hire experienced people? how am i suppose to get that experience of nobody wants to give me a chance?

it's like that with any job
>>
>>15238398
You best bet is having someone you know to hire you or ask your friends/family if they know someone who can hire you. You'll find it eventually. Or just spread information that you can repair/check up people's cars for small compensation. You can set up a shop in your own garage.
>>
>>15235994
>how am i suppose to get that experience of nobody wants to give me a chance?

Offer to work for free. Get some experience, then search for a payed gig.
>>
How can you expect a fancy dealership gig straight out of school?
>>
>>15235994
Work at a small shop for a year or two then apply to a dealership
>>
>>15239582
Nothing "fancy" about being a dealership tech. I got hired straight out of school as a tech, interview matters a lot in this business. I doubt OP is really proactively sending out a cover/letter resume, interviewing, and getting denied. There's huge turnaround at most dealerships, young techs are in high demand, and working at a dealership is definitely something you graduate to after working at a small indie as some people suggest in this thread, it's really the other way around.
>>
>>15239600
*definitely NOT something
>>
>>15235994
I suspect you don't present well, and without certifications either you are up shit creek without a paddle.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.