[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bus conversion legality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: bus sample.jpg (1 MB, 2373x1509) Image search: [Google]
bus sample.jpg
1 MB, 2373x1509
Alright, so my buddies and I are going on a road trip in 10 months, and already have an established budget, build supplies, etc.

I was wondering about the requirements of legally qualifying it as a Class A RV, for tax reasons, as well as the fact that we don't want to waste much time getting a CDL. We're pretty busy people.

I heard that all I need to do is install a working propane stove in it to qualify, but is this true?

>pic related
>>
Pretty sure the CDL requirement is based on vehicle weight.
May only need a class B,should be easier.
One of your crew gets a class B,the rest keep being busy.
BUMP.
Also fuck you guys.
I have tons of money but no time.Eat a pound of cock,assholes.
Enjoy you trip,when you stop to pee,hand out in the garbage towns you stop at,there is vast untold beauty to be found everywhere,except for Louisiana,fuck that place,they will hate you just because you aint from round these parts.
>>
>>15232080
From Louisiana. We plan on going to all of our birthplaces, plus some other places that bring nostalgia. We'll also take shifts driving. Thanks for the support, anon.

Also, we plan on bringing a literal "box o' knives" (like one of those big-ass rubbermaid tubs), a Barrett M82a1, Mossberg 590, Mosin Sniper, and a u-haul trailer.
>>
also obligatory bump
>>
Pretty sure you'd need an air brake endorsement on your license if you want to drive something like that. School buses use hydraulic brakes and are easier to convert.
>>
>>15232221
We have a guy for everything. We're willing to convert anything on the bus to avoid getting a CDL.
>>
>>15232024
Certain states just require you to register it as an RV. Someone around here took a military 6x6 and registered it as an RV.
>>
Call BMV and ask requirements. I know some states allow people to operate cdl equipment with out the regular licenses as long as its labeled "not for hire"
>>
>>15232221

this, here in Canada many people use old school buses for RV/party bus conversions since you can drive them on a class 5 license having hydraulic brakes, air brake buses you need a class 6

have you considered a old Chevy/Ford cube van or is that out of the question compared to a bus?
>>
>>15232237
>We're willing to convert anything
That's nice to know, but converting air brakes to hydraulics would cost more money and time than getting the CDL, or simply buying a huge RV.
>>
If you aren't using it for commercial purposes you don't need a
*Commercial*
Drivers
License
>>
>>15232643
Wanna know what happens when you blow a scale on 70 in Missouri, the trooper pulls you over for it and you tell him this massive 26,000+ lb air brakes vehicle doesn't require a license because you arent driving it "commercially"?

Your bus gets impounded and you're stranded in some fucking shithole in Missouri.
>>
hey OP I got a class A CDL w all the endorsements. I'll drive this thing for you and you friends for $.50 cpm, it'll be much cheaper than converting these brakes to hydraulic.
>>
>>15232670
I don't know about his state, but mine has non commercial licenses. His emphasis on not needing the commercial version would not be incorrect.
>>
>>15232120
what the hell do you even do with five+ gallons of knives
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.