[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1998 328i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 00909_il6OrNGDpDO_1200x900.jpg (30 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
00909_il6OrNGDpDO_1200x900.jpg
30 KB, 640x480
Help me 4Chan /o/, you're my only hope.
Tomorrow morning, about 6 hours from now, I'm going to look at a 1998 BMW 328i sedan. I have been in the market for a cheap but reliable car for awhile as I am a 19 year old student who worked through highschool so I could have money in college and not work. This 328 has 135K miles and is an auto. Will this car be reliable? I can do most basic wrenching myself if it's covered online and is included in my dads tool set. That means I can do the water pump and most and the rest of the cooling system if it's not too hard. The guy selling it wants $1,700 but I'll talk him down to $1,500.
I would greatly appreciate any input on the reliability or high mileage ownership of these cars as well as any common problems
>>
That's a good deal already anon. Those cars are solid if we'll maintained. The cooling system isn't great, so change the water pump and thermostat if they haven't been done before. Also the ball joints in the front suspension might be a bit worn by now so plan on changing those eventually. Other than that, just change all the fluids and it'll be great.
>>
that's a 5 series in your pic not a 328
>>
>>15232101
Sorry for the late reply but I had to investigate and you're right, it is a 528i and it had been mislabeled in the ad. Thank you for that. With it being a 5 series instead of 3 does that introduce any common problems, electrical gremlins, etc? I'm kinda going into this blindly and I don't want to buy it if, should things not pan out, I can't sell it for what I bought it for or slightly more. Thank you guys in advance, I'm going to see it in about an hour.
>>
>>15232187
It shows that the current owner is retarded and you shouldn't trust anything he has
>>
>>15231364
NO. The most expensive car is a cheap german car.

Shut up and buy a civic
>>
>>15232196
This
OP just take your money and buy a nice 6th gen civic
>>
>>15231364
>BMW
>Reliable
Have fun kid.
>>
>>15231364
The car is generally reliable. There are a few occasional problems like breaking air mass sensors, that can mostly be fixed easily. Everything that might need replacement can be accessed nicely. It looks to get rust on the wheel arches and door frames. Also if it has been driven hard, the rear sub frame might have started to rip from the body. That's the worst problem the car has, so check for a loose back end when driving, or bumps on power-on and lift-off.
>>
>>15232293
Nevermind all that, if it's actually an e39. Don't know about that car, but it should be fine.
>>
>>15232307
The 528i and 328i have the same engine m8.
>>
>>15232566
The engine will hardly ever be an issue with any beamer of that era.
>>
>cheap but reliable car
>BMW
How deluded are you people?
>>
File: 1436042778670.jpg (36 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1436042778670.jpg
36 KB, 800x600
>>15232877
This

Please don't buy this car OP
>>
>>15232722
So is the cooling system not part of the engine now?
>>
>cheap
>reliable
>bmw
Pick two >>15232101
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.