[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hold onto your donuts, LAPD is getting 100 BMW i3s, LA residents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Donuts.jpg (76 KB, 968x670) Image search: [Google]
Donuts.jpg
76 KB, 968x670
Hold onto your donuts, LAPD is getting 100 BMW i3s, LA residents can relax because the city's criminals won't be able to outrun the cops by simply driving further than the i3's 300 km (186 mi) range.The department will run the cars on a three-year lease, before reassessing the options out there. As a part of the deal with BMW,
>>
File: donuts2.jpg (67 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
donuts2.jpg
67 KB, 1000x667
Police Chief Charlie Beck says the fleet of i3s will save help save taxpayer money in the long run.

"Electric vehicle procurement made sense for taxpayers and for the environment," Beck says. "Every dollar we save from lower maintenance will go back into law enforcement to keep our city safe. And while our new electric cars will be used only for non-emergency purposes, we will continue to monitor and test new generations of vehicles for their potential to serve as patrol cars."
>>
With LA traffic, they don't have to worry about being fast enough. Traffic moves at a crawl all the fucking time.
>>
Apparently the American Tesla cars they tested were way below grade which is why they went with a German company.
>>
>cops
>being logical
They just do what's easiest for them and would bring in the most revanue.
>>
File: bmw-i3-lapd-3.jpg (68 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
bmw-i3-lapd-3.jpg
68 KB, 1000x667
>>
File: bmw-i3-lapd-7.jpg (51 KB, 1000x657) Image search: [Google]
bmw-i3-lapd-7.jpg
51 KB, 1000x657
http://www.gizmag.com/lapd-bmw-i3/43761/
>>
>>15230883
What's wrong with Tesla?
>>
>>15230856
>The department will run the cars on a three-year lease,
>we will continue to monitor and test new generations of vehicles for their potential to serve as patrol cars.
a fair enough approach

>new electric cars will be used only for non-emergency purposes
what counts as a non emergency ? things that come to mind are picking up drunks and directing traffic

>>15230873
what about the hills and highways ?
some speed might be possible there

>>15230883
must be the recalls
>>
>>15230956

> what about the hills and highways ?
> some speed might be possible there

Generally not. Unless you're away from any major city, the traffic in and around LA is a nightmare.
>>
>>15230945
Apparently the Tesla fanboys said it was a money issue. However the article said that if a Tesla were to be damaged on the undercarriage it would not be able to drive further unlike the BMW. Patrol cars tend to take a lot of damage in that area because of excess speeds and speedbumps.
>>
>>15230945
>What's wrong with Tesla?
Waiting period for delivery, and probably no fleet support.
More importantly; no APU/Generator option on a telsa which is a huge limitation when providing emergency services in an area where brownouts and earthquakes are common.
>>
>>15230983
Teslas are also more prone to failures. Which is kinda funny because the car that managed to beat it in the reliability department is a BMW.
>>
>our new electric cars will be used only for non-emergency purposes
>>
>>15230956
Probably driving to people's home to take witness statements and shit.
>>
>>15230840
The man in the middle is gorgeous.
Would let fuck me/10
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.