[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would anyone buy a new car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-Mazda-MX-5-01.jpg (180 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
2016-Mazda-MX-5-01.jpg
180 KB, 1600x1067
Why would anyone buy a new car when it's just going to lose all its "value" in a couple of years even if you leave it sitting in your garage with 0 miles? Let's take the Miata for example. In 1993 it cost $14,650 ($24k in 2016 dollars), now in the present year on Craigslist said car is only worth 3k (1.8k in 1993 dollars) and 5k (3k) for lower mileage (50k or less)

So your 14k brand new car if left in immaculate condition and barely driven is only worth 18% of what you paid for it.

That was using an example with a car from 1993, it's even worse for modern cars because they cost more (even after adjusted for inflation) yet they still lose value equally!
>>
>>15230835
New car should mean no issues for several years and you have a warranty otherwise.
>>
I put 75k miles on my car over 3 years and lost less than $5k off of it. Not all cars depreciate at the same rate and if you plan on keeping it for the long term, there's no reason to concern yourself with it's resale value.
>>
>>15230835
Because there isn't a used car factory.
>>
>>15230835
>5k (3k) for lower mileage (50k or less)
The fuck do you live?
In my area a 1990 with 250k miles and barely running with a salvage title goes for $5k
>>
>>15231031
The closer to a big city you get, private sale prices get cheaper.
>>
File: 1463949943844.gif (247 KB, 488x275) Image search: [Google]
1463949943844.gif
247 KB, 488x275
>Financing options for those with good credit or are trying to build credit
>Tax write-offs for business or medical expenses
>Various workplaces will incentivize you buying a new car instead of paying for a company car (free gas and repairs, pay off taxes and fees, etc)
>Longevity, some people like buying one car every 10-20 years and being the only person to drive it
>Reliability, with Luxury cars they tend to start breaking down earlier due to more tighter fitted parts, abuse, etc
>Social status, only applies to normies
>People who have money, and don't give a shit about things like resale value
>Business incentives for leasing
>Limited market with tighter regulations, cash for clunkers programs, etc

There are plenty of reasons for people to buy or lease new cars.
>>
File: 1457029439490.jpg (30 KB, 400x302) Image search: [Google]
1457029439490.jpg
30 KB, 400x302
>Why eat at a 5 star restaurant? You're just gonna shit it out anyways. Might as well go to Taco Bell. They go down the same hole anyway!
>>
>>15230835
I buy used myself. But the majority of the "value" of a car is its utility for getting you around. So if you divide the cost of the car by the years it gets you around, a new car isn't a horrible deal assuming it isn't built by Chrysler, Fiat, or Mini etc.
>>
>>15230835
because they can

maybe when you stop being a poorfag NEET you will understand...
>>
Who gives a shit. 99% of cars depreciate, theyre nothing but money pits. You buy used, spend money to fix issues, spend money to improve the car, spend more money on maintenance over the years, then sell it at a several thousand dollar loss because it depreciated over the time you owned it. So what? You (hopefully) had fun while you had it. Same goes for new, you buy to have fun, modern benefits, zero issues upfront, and reliability.
Acting like car investments are like actual investments is either stupid poorfag shit or dumb boomer shit.
Go buy an s2k and stick it in a bubble somewhere underground at 70°F if you care so much about investing into cars.
>>
>>15231113
prime logic
>>
It's a luxury some people can afford
>>
Parents grew up in dirt poor poverty. Dad bought a 2012 Ford Fusion new because he wanted to own a brand new car just once in his life. I don't think it matters, as long as you acknowledge that you're buying a new car and all the consequences that come with that.
>>
>>15230868
Impossible or they would undergo a huge amount of testing that will increase their cost of production and therefore their retail price.
>>
>>15230868
>no issues
>you have a warranty otherwise
Sorry sir, burning a quart of oil every 500 miles is within factory spec. Sorry sir, the tech can't feel the vibrations you describe. Sorry sir, we don't consider the water pump to be part of the drive train. Sorry sir, brake squeal is normal on this model. Sorry sir, we don't accept auto parts store receipts as evidence of routine maintenance. Sorry sir, the alignment is already within factory spec, we don't know why the car wanders. Etc., etc., etc.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.