[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time buyers/First cars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Car-Keys-Teen-Driver[1].jpg (121 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
Car-Keys-Teen-Driver[1].jpg
121 KB, 425x282
Alright /o/ I don't really see many threads about this topic. I'm looking to buy my own car, used of course. I've been thinking of financing it and just making payments every month.

A little bit about me

I'm 20 years old. I work full time right now. I make min wage 9.47 an hour, i work full 40 hours a week and in a two week pay period i usually end up going 10-20 hours overtime. Overtime here is time and a half at $14. It's not much but still adds up.

I work in retail sales and get a base pay(above) and commission. Last months commission came to 500 dollars (avg. being around 200-300) and i'm planning on saving all of that towards car fund.

The cars I'm currently interested are something 1996-2010. I'm wanting to get a car about under 10,000 dollars. I'm probably going to end up going to a bank for a prequalified car loan or something. I'm way too impatient to gather all the money and would rather just make payments while driving around. I can pay my own insurance also. It's going to be my first car ever. I work like 9 miles away from home and it's really annoying taking the bus and uber all the time back and forth.

Some cars I'm interested are Subaru, Mitsubishi bcos Jap, Chevy Malibu cos American, Mercedes idk why.

I think that's all the relevant info I can put, if you guys need anymore I will be happy to answer!
>>
I just bought a t94 toyota corolla yesterday, some guy my dad knows was selling it for a low price so just took it. I got tired of driving my dad's bluebird nissan (that couldn't drive on weekends) and wanted something of my own.

I prefered to go for a cheap beater as a first car, many people recommended me that.
>>
>>15227655
>>15227548
Like this guy said, I'd advise that you get a cheap beater. You will bump it while parking, you'll scratch it, hell you might even crash it but if its a cheap beater it won't hurt you that bad.
>>
>>15227548
>I make min wage 9.47 an hour

Fraid not, federal minimum is 7.25 an hour. dont claim that you make minimum unless it federal minimum.
>>
>>15227695
That's minimum wage here in Washington state
>>
Sounds to me like you'll be working just for your car and that makes terrible financial sense. Interest rates will be high for you due to a lack of credit history and insurance will also be high for you as well due to your age demographic. If you made around 20/hr then I'd say go for it, but you don't. Don't get sucked into financing cars you can't actually afford. Just save money for a year and buy something outright with cash.
>>
>>15227695
are you autistic?

sell your cars and buy an exit bag.
>>
Read the fucking sticky
>>
>>15227548
Save your money to buy an econobox for 3-4k. Get a credit card to build credit. You'll be much better prepared when you want to finance something in a few years.
>>
>>15227548
Don't buy used Chevy anything.
>>
>>15227695
It's okay mate, only the important states get the 7.25 minimum. I'm looking at you Massachusetts, 10.25 my ass...
>>
>>15227689
>>15228327
>>15227655

Holy shit no do not do this.
Just buy the cheapest sports car you can. I don't understand this meme
You guys are NOT car enthusiasts.
>>
>>15227548
Are you going to school? If not why the fuck are you 20 working minimum wage? Just buy a car with cash for your first vehicle though. At your wage why would you spend a portion of your tiny income on a loan? If you are going to be an idiot and spend money you don't have at a dealership then always remember
>don't get pressured into buying
You can always walk away. Don't put money down on something you can't afford. They'll try to get you to sit down and sign papers and you can just say no. So many people just sit down and sign a retarded loan or buy a car they don't really want because they don't wanna be impolite
>ask for service records
Idk about the US but in Canada all vehicles that get traded in have to have an inspection done and the shop will find problems the sales guys don't wanna spend. If there are no service records or anything you can haggle the fuck out of them and probably get them to take ot to a mechanic (of your choice!) Don't let them bring it to their buddy
>salesmen work for you!
Their commission comes from the sale. Dont treat the guy likes hes the enemy. Be nice and talk with them and get a feel for the kind of person they are.If you're not happy don't do it. There will be other cars always! Unless it's that syclone I didn't buy for $10 000 fuck I was dumb!

>If buying from Craigslist or whatever
Bring someone who knows vehicles to look it over for you. If you don't know anyone bring it to a mechanic to have it looked over.

Safe shopping and don't be a retard and buy something you'll be paying off while you're broke
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.