[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IDK if this is the right place for it, but I'll try here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: almost.jpg (35 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
almost.jpg
35 KB, 500x372
IDK if this is the right place for it, but I'll try here because I can't find my exact problem anywhere else... SO here goes...
I recently got an '09 Honda Accord LX-P, beautiful black, much nicer than my civic ex was... Un fucking fortunately the previous owner was a dipshit. He obviously didn't take good care of the car (dents, scratches all over) but whatever, like exterior is everything?

So here's the fun part. I've had it for maybe 2 weeks now (has 103k on it, with maybe 1k being me) and the fucking power steering is starting to fuck up. Here is exactly what happens
>when car starts for the first time of the day, rpms are a little high (about 1500) but they cool off later on with use
>engine is pretty loud, but it seems to be common among Honda Accords of this year
>back up, usually fine, but then randomly the trouble starts.
>at low rpms, as in slower than 20mph, the fucking power steering is completely gone, but randomly
>at first at higher speeds I'd feel nothing with the power steering, but now even that is slightly notchy

So tl;dr power steering is starting to randomly give out at low rpms/speeds, and I have no clue what it could be. The fluid is pretty dark, there's no leaking, and it is extremely random. Like the only thing that is a fact is that when I start applying my brakes, or am at a light/stop sign the power steering may go out. Which is bad becuase I live in the city, so sometimes I need to make turns kinda quickly after slowing down quickly.. Hard to do that when I have to fight my own car every second of that turn. Please help me with where I should start looking so that my mechanic doesn't fuck me over.
>pic related
Almost exactly my car.
>>
bumping again... Please anyone?
>>
bump...
>>
bump? Anyone?
>>
>>15225206
Honda mechanic here. Op your car has a recall for the electronic power steering you need to go to the dealer and have it updated. It affects 08-09 accords. That should help. If not it could be the pump itself. I would start with that recall though
>>
>>15225255
alrighty thanks! I didn't know that at all... Hopefully that's all it is!
>>
Steering rack could be dead.

Check for leaks aswell.
>>
>>15225255
If it'd not under recall change the lower power steering line O ring and change the fluid. When you turn is there any noise or whine? Take your car into the dealership and while it's being serviced ask them to give it a quick look over it shouldn't cost you anything
>>
>>15225259
If I'm not mistaken it's under recall unless it's the SRS one I might have it confused with. Where you at op? If your close I'll look at it for free
>>
>>15225263
Alright I'll do that, I was planning on going tomorrow to a local mechanic, but I guess the dealership will be my best bet.
>>15225262
I looked for leaks, and there doesn't seem to be any, there's a lot of steering fluid in the res.. soo.. Like over the max recommended...
>>
>>15225270
I'm in the DFW area
>>
>>15225281
I'm in northern California. Damn.
>>15225276
Honda mechanic here
With the car idling remove the power steering red cap and see if it's foamy
Have the dealership check the steering rack and see if it's leaking. If it's fine change that O ring like I told you too. The O ring blocks air on the suction side when pumping fluid and it can cause it to be hard to steer. If that still doesn't work remove the power steering resivour and pour the fluid out. There is a "non changeable filter" inside it. Spray the whole thing with brake clean and let it air dry completely and fill it with new fluid. That should help. If all else fails it's your rack and pinion or steering rack that has failed you.
>>
>>15225276
If you pay for an oil change and tire rotation they give you a free inspection. It's usually about 79$ also make sure your fluid level is not above the max line
>>
>>15225329
See this is what I mean, the owner before me was a complete and total dumbass. The fluid is well above the max, and okay I'm booking and appointment for tomorrow as is.
>>15225318
Damn, but thanks for the offer! And I did that, and it was foaming at one point, but not any more I don't think, I'll check tomorrow morning. If I have to replace a whole rack, I'm looking at how much...?
>>
>>15225351
Fucking previous owners are stupid. And your welcome bro. If you want a new steering rack through us at Honda it will run you about 1789$ to 2493$ depends on the engine and such. That's not including new fluid or the labor or disposal of old parts. Tell them specifically to check the steering rack and explain your exact problem in your beginning post to the service advisor he will then relay that info to the technician. The technician will pay extra detail to your steering components and do a thorough check. And they shouldn't charge you for checking it out. They will communicate any issues they find during the service and ask you if you want things replaced or repaired. Just make sure you get an oil change and tire rotation. Honda website offers 5$ off coupons on services. So pull up the website on your phone and just show them. They will honor it. God speed Op. I hope you get it figured out. I will be monitoring your post tomorrow while I'm working on Honda's.
>>
>>15225255
Shit I didn't know this. I knew about the brake recall but not the steering

Guess I should tell my mom before something happens and she freaks out
>>
Update:
Haven't figured it out yet, but I decided to call the dealership that sold it to me and they said they'll check it out for me for free. So tomorrow I'm going over there to see what the fuck is wrong, and it seems that the problem is progressively becoming worse. Hopefully I'll last the fucking dead and a half.
>>
>>15226205
There is 4 TSB out for those accords. Check them out.
>>15227092
Honda mechanic Here.
I hope they find the root cause Op make another post if it 404s if you run into any issues I'll ask my colleagues and Co workers
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.