[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E92 M3 vs Boss 302 vs GT350 All high revving naturally aspirated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: E92 M3 vs Boss 302 vs GT350.jpg (179 KB, 578x1048) Image search: [Google]
E92 M3 vs Boss 302 vs GT350.jpg
179 KB, 578x1048
E92 M3 vs Boss 302 vs GT350

All high revving naturally aspirated engines. The M3 and Boss have short gear ratios meaning tons of fun shifting, while the 350 has longer gears but still solid. I'm not looking to be the fastest on the street, rather I want a fast and fun track car that is still fun on the street. I run in a few HPDE leagues in my current 13 track pack mustang GT.

Do I get the cheaper M3 or Boss and mod them? Or do I pay outright and get the 350? I love the Boss motor and the side pipes, but an 8300 RPM with a short stroke and light components giving a very responsive engine in the M3 is tough to beat. The new 350 is awesome, and I have a dealer lined up at MSRP for a '17, just don't know if it's worth the 20k over the others. I hate the new Mustang GT, so that isn't an option. And the Chevy motors don't do much for me.
>>
E30 those are too much car for you
>>
Only driven the M3 out of the triad (for 4k miles, not around the block), didn't like it. The GT350 seems cool but I don't like driving flat plane V8s on the street, you just aren't going to spend much time in the power band, and they don't sound nearly as good.
>>
>>15223632
Get a 335i and mod it, you'll get more power of it.
>>
>>15223632
What type of driving would you do? Around town mostly? Second car for carving canyons? Interstate cruising?
>>
>>15223671

Why didn't you like the M3?

I know the Voodoo has poor low end torque. I don't mind it, I don't street race and as long as I don't fuck up I won't hit sub 3500 RPM on the track.

>>15223673

I'm a fan of high revving V8s. Thought about an M2, but I'd always lust for the V8.
>>
>>15223684
Nevermind, read the rest of the post.

Gt350 feels gutless around town because of the powerband. Boss 302 makes more torque down low which is better for a DD.

M3 a shit. Doesn't have a dipstick.
>>
>>15223684

Typically I daily my cars and track them ~7-10 times during the summer. Every other weekend or so. The 350 is comfortable enough around town that I wouldn't mind daily driving it. If I modded the M3 and Boss to the point of it not being enjoyable on a day to day basis, I would pick up something else as a dedicated daily.
>>
>>15223688
The E92 revs high but as with most BMW M engines its harder to get more power out of them.

Stick with your brostangs then.
>>
>>15223688
>Why didn't you like the M3?
Not that fast, not that comfortable, and no power at normal street RPMs, just too much of a compromise without doing anything particularly well.
>>
>>15223726

Really? That's unfortunate. I'll hafta test drive one, but I'll have to readjust my expectations.
>>
>>15223632
This is probably a troll post, but I'll bite. Obviously get the gt350. This is coming from someone who has a stang with 200 more HP than that car.

You won't regret anything but the price. It has an 8250 rpm redline, bone stock, and that's spinning 5.2L of displacement.

On the boss 302s side though, you could cam and build the engine and make even more HP, and while its probably the best handling live axle car made, you're stuck with that, and you probably won't be drag racing at 600-1000+hp, where the reliability would really shine if you're getting sub 1.6 60fts.

Also, people are revving the boss crank well above 8k, like at least 8500 is supposed to be safe and balanced. Imagine that with over 500 at the wheel, cammed with full exhaust. Plus there's just more aftermarket available for the 5.0. I'm a 4.6 guy myself, lots of good stuff for that motor as well.

Point is, those 2 cars would probably be a lot more fun and exhilarating, and will hold value for sure. Whether its 5 years, or 50 years down the road, it will be a more desirable car. I like the BMW, but what do you want? A luxury/status car that does great on the track, or a top end muscle car built for the track?

Especially coming from a 2013 gt, you would like the mustangs. You must be familiar with live axle handling, that's how I started. But I've driven both 03 cobra IRS and 2015 s550 IRS, and I'd take it any day.

Lastly, since you have 50k to go spend on a racecar, consider just forging your motor, turboing it, building the heads a little and matching cams. Boss manifold and headers, get rid of the cats and mufflers. Injectors, pump(s),stainless braided lines.You could push that aluminum block to the limit. All that would probably cost 15-20k with a shop doing it for you. Then go coilovers and badass 00 treadwear tires. Nothing could touch ya then.
>>
>>15226253
>15226253
One last thing to add. You could keep your GT as is for a reliable DD, and do all the above listed mods to an older, 99-04 gt, or a 03 mach or cobra. The GT block and crank can hold about 800HP, while the rods and pistons are limited to about 450wheel s/c. Plus its a 5 thousand dollar car for a nice one.
>>
>>15226253

Isn't a troll post. Thanks for your response.

I'm very familiar with the stick rear end but I'm not a fan. I know I could redo the suspension in the back end with a kit but the inherent negatives of the lra will still be there. There's a few boss 302s I've seen running against the new mustang GT and while you can see the boss pulling away on smooth sections of the track, it gets bogged down from bumpy/uneven portions. And that's one of the things that bothers me the most about my car, the way bumps upset it so much.

I'm very much leaning towards the 350 but have reservations still. This is still a new engine that is complicated, the NVH of this engine is a God damn nightmare and I'm sure after 15k miles issues will start to really pop up in the current owners. There's some excessive oil ingestion/burning issues as well as contamination issues right now. But it might be worth it. I've driven it, and the vibration and sound past 7k is fucking amazing but if the car was mine I'd probably die a little bit inside knowing what that vibration is doing to the vehicle as a whole.

I'm not a fan of drag racing, and if I was id stick with the car I have now. The roadrunner in the boss is a beautiful engine but the lra is still a bother to me. Which lead me to the e92, where I can tighten up the existing IRS and look into mods. I know they aren't torque monsters but really if they are exhilarating that's what I'm really interested in. The experience of driving. I've seen people become consumed with being the fastest instead of focusing on the experience and they ruin the sport of it for themselves. A friend of mine has a c6 grand sport which he loved until he supercharged it and now he fucking hates it. Because even with 335 Michelin pilot super sport rear tires he has no traction for regular spirited driving without babying it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.