[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to buy a moped. Are there any infographs or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: oldguythumbsup.gif (520 KB, 349x261) Image search: [Google]
oldguythumbsup.gif
520 KB, 349x261
I'm looking to buy a moped. Are there any infographs or general guidelines to look at? Sorry if this doesn't warrant its own thread.
>>
Self boomb
>>
>>15216142
Buy a small displacement motorcycle instead. 250cc bikes will net you 70-80 mpg easily (i assume this is why you want a moped), theyre actually usable at highway speeds, and you wont kill yourself because they make only slightly more power then a lawnmower.

If you want a moped just for fun or for city riding only, then get a grom, but it wont get you to highway speeds. Very fun little machines, do willys easy. 100+ mpg too
>>
Where are you, and what types are you looking for?
>>
Whatever you do dont buy a Chinese one
>>
>>15216298
Grom is retarded. You might as well buy an 800$ 125cc moped and have the same performance without spending the extra 2.2k
>>
>>15216142

Buy new
Get a fourstroke for mpgs and reliability
Always wear helmet
Drive with caution as if people are trying to kill you
Drive slower in rain, much slower in frost/snow
Alternate between kickstarting and electric starting
Let it warm up for 15 seconds before you drive off
Good gloves and a full body suit can make winter and rain commuting bearable
Polish inside of visir of helmet with dishwashing soap to avoid condensation fog
>>
>>15216327
You cant throw a moped around nearly as well as you can a grom. If op wants something purely for putting around town and getting gud empeegees, then sure get a 125cc moped and call it a day. But if op thinks he might want to have even the slightest amount of fun then get the grom. Just as good mileage and many times better to ride
>>
>>15216377
If he wants the slightest amount of fun he'd be better off just getting a ninja 250 so he could actually go places outside of a city. Mopeds in the city are still fun, grind in the city are fun, ninjettes in the city are fun, but only one of those choices can actually leave the city
>>
Choose one
>>
People suggesting motorcycles should consider that most who want a moped are teenagers without a bike licence, only moped licence

And you can rather easily drive a 50cc in rain and snow, but it gets hairy once you triple the engine size or more
>>
>>15216142
>I'm looking to buy a moped.

Scary to turn in the rain unless you go slow. It's damage is not like that of a bicycle if you fall down. It looks ugly on a moped and people point out at you.

Before you buy, you have to be able to write on paper the specific reasons. Words like good, best, fun, etc, are not specific words. You must be able to list at least ten different places you normally go to now, but will go to with the moped without getting onto any freeway or other fast road where a moped cannot go without high risk of death. Low risk of death always exists because teens will try to crash you. I have yet to be anywhere where there is not a story of teens or asses trying to crash someone I know on their motorcycle by moving next to you and shoving you over or brake checking you in a beater truck. One destination must be work, two others must be food shopping, another must be education if you are going to school at the same time. If you can't get to them with cost or time savings with the moped, then you should save for a used car.

Second category is servicing. A lot of moped places don't like servicing a bike that didn't come from there and may pressure you to trade in for another bike there or rip you off. Certainly they know servicing places are rare and they have you at a disadvantage as you have few alternatives.

Mopeds need licenses and registration. Thus, they have no real advantage over a motorcycle since the motorcycle test is not that hard.

No one rides in the rain. If you become dependent upon the moped because you gave up alternatives, then think again.

Don't get chinese knock-offs. They copycat the japanese motors and stylings, but do not have the same durability. Just because a seller says it is not chinese (even a dealer), don't believe it without proof in writing. Talk is cheap and they say anything. Proof in writing must also include a condition of restitution otherwise, it is okay, so we lied and nothing is done.
>>
>>15216330
Thanks a bunch pal. That's just the type of answer I was looking for. Now does anyone have moped inspo?
>>
File: 29-2-1.jpg (67 KB, 595x750) Image search: [Google]
29-2-1.jpg
67 KB, 595x750
>>15216142
I had Chinese Moped for the first year of university before i sold it for a motorcycle. I did 8000km on it in all kinds of weather with basic maintenance like oil and stuff and the thing never broke down. The little scooter was awesome.

Some Advice i will give you.
Buy either a second hand japan scooter or a new chinese scooter with a GY6 engine which is a copy paste of a honda engine. Odds are if you like it you will upgrade to a larger engine or a motorcycle.

Moped have close to no resale value unless its one that hipsters like. So don't worry if you scratch it up.

If you have owned any other vehicle before go for a 125cc+ as a 50cc will feel way to slow.

Get decent gear with a full face helmet. None of this half helmet cheese grater crap.

Drifting a 50cc in the rain is a bad move.
>>
>>15217121
In my state mopeds don't require registration. All places I desire to visit are located on pretty quiet streets. I'm a student starting out a retail job so affordability is primo. Thanks for that excellent information friendo.
>>
>>15216425
Blue is more my speed. I'm looking for a 50cc 'ped so I don't care much about anything other than handling, durability, and affordability.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.