[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intake Manifold Gasket Blown?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: oil.jpg (3 MB, 2988x3418) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
3 MB, 2988x3418
Hey guys, my 2000 subaru outback is blowing clouds of smoke as the car runs, it's quite clear that water has leaked into the oil. I hear this is most commonly caused by a leaking gasket, subarus are notorious for blown head gaskets, but the only leak i can find is out of the air box leading to the intake manifold. I took the car to a friendly mechanic and he said it's most likely the intake gasket.
My question:
>Could oil leaking from the air filter only be from a blown manifold gasket? or is it possible it could be the head gasket ? or both?
>could the issue be anything else?
>would you rebuild the engine even if the head gasket wasn't the issue because it's likely to fail at some point?

I don't have any history of maintenance on the car so i don't know what work was done when.
>>
>>15215894
Headgaskets leaking internally wont show visually. Intake manifold gaskets dont do shit besides keep vacuum pressure
>>
>>15215912
So it has to be the head gasket?

This is the largest repair I've ever encountered in most aspects, more so than my 3d printer and seized dr 250, and finding open neutrals in walls so any advice, comments, input is appreciated. thanks.
>>
>>
does the tag under the hood say ej25?
>>
>>15215894
the head gaskets are gone. time for a new more reliable car.
>>
>>15216411
Yes it does, just checked.
I assume you are going to say it's the head gasket.

It's weird though because i don't have any misfires and the engine runs great, doesn't overheat. Is there any other way for water to contaminate oil?

I just hope that the head is not warped, if it is though, does /o/ approve of the sandpaper method to obtain a flat mating surface?
>>
>>15216803
Head must be machine cut for perfectly flat surface. What is consistency of engine oil? Oily (normal)? Or Milky (chocolate milk)?
Is coolant radiator/overflow tank full and proper color (usu. flouro green)?
>>
oil in the intake is probably from it getting forced there by excessive crank case pressure through breather tube while car is running, which is even more indicative of a bad headgasket.
>>
>>15216803

I drove 15.000 kilometers with a leaking gasket on my old Skoda Felicia, just change oil every couple thousand miles with cheapo oil and put in fresh coolant every couple days
>>
>>15216803
If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust it's almost always the head gasket

If your oil or coolant is milky that's a good indicator. Try running it with the rad cap off ans seeing if there are bubbles in the coolant while running
>>
blown intake and head gaskets have the same symptoms, your best bet is to take it to your mechanic and let him tear the motor down
>>
File: IMG_0391.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0391.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>15216401
Did a headgasket on my 2002 Forester. It's not a particularly hard job, but it is very tedious, long, and requires a plethora of tools. If it's not throwing a CEL, you'll need to replace both as you essentially don't know what side is fucked.

Boiled down to a few sentences, you'll need to unbolt the transmission and engine mounts so that you can jack the engine up out of the car, remove the intake manifold and all of the hoses connected to the radiator. Once intake manifold is off, you'll need to remove the timing belt with all of the cams and main pulley at top dead center. You'll then remove the valve covers, and then the head revealing the block and cylinders. While you're in there, it's recommended you replace the timing belt and water pump since you have easy access to it. Also replace the valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, and exhaust gaskets. There are certain patterns and torques that the head bolts need to be tightened to, and the timing belt needs to be put back on perfectly, or you'll fuck your engine up.

If you're not an experienced mechanic, this is not a job I would recommend doing on a whim. You're better off selling the car.
>>
>>15216935
Bad rings*
>>
File: 20160606_200816.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160606_200816.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>15216906
My oil is very milky.
The coolant is brown...

>>15216935
ok.jpg

>>15216971
I'm poor as fuck, also that would cost twice the amount i bought the car for. I'm in it for the long haul.

>>15216941
This is so tempting right now.

So i just watched a video on replacing the EJ25 head gasket, and it's a overwhelming, so many parts to keep track of. What is the worst thing that will happen if i tried one of those head gasket sealants? I hear it gums up the valves, but worst case scenario i would just have to replace head gasket anyway and clean the valves right?
>>
>>15216971
Not on a Subaru
>>
>>15215894
>my 2000 subaru outback is blowing clouds of smoke as the car runs, it's quite clear that water has leaked into the oil.

The second part of this sentence does not logically follow the first.

What color is the smoke? Have you checked your oil? Does it look strange? Is the engine overheating, or running hotter than it used to?

There are several ways to blow a head gasket, and they produce different symptoms.
>>
>>15217083
100% headgaskets.

It isn't as hard as it sounds. The most expensive part is machining the heads if you chose to.

You must pull the engine.
I don't care if it can be done in the car. Just fucking pull it. It's dick easy for that year and even easier if manwell Trans.
They aren't even heavy, like 320lbs complete, just get yourself and another dude and lift it out.

Also, it's a Subaru. Part tracking isn't a concern because you won't be pulling almost any parts.
>>
>>15217043
if the combustion chamber leaks into the case the same thing will happen
>>
>>15217083
>im gonna try bottle of magic unicorn piss, it'll be alright, right fellas?
no, just do it right. and you cant just "clean the valves" once the seals are fucked and gummy/leaky after the chemical reaction to the block "sealant".
>>
>>15217089
>not on a subaru
i fail to see how it could be any different
does it not cycle oil and coolant through the block
>>
>>15217083
Do not fuck with your head gasket. You will very likely ruin your engine if you attempt to do this yourself. Your best bet is to probably just keep driving it and dispose of the vehicle when the time comes.
>>
>>15217390
If the coolant doesn't go through the intake manifold then it can't be an intake manifold gasket causing the leak.
>>
>>15217025

this is a job a novice can do if he is determined enough
>>
>>15217083
>I'm in it for the long haul.
Good for you. Ignore the losers who say it can't be done. It's not hard, do a compression test first and only replace one side.
>>
Ok this seems like a doable job in a day if i start early and know what im doing. One problem i see is i don't have so many tools specific for a mechanic as of right now. Also, i'm inbetween jobs right now so money is tight. I should get a call very soon to start working in a metal shop 13 miles away, 30 minutes by car, 2 hrs by public transit.

Theoretically what would happen if i flushed and replaced the coolant and oil.

And then, when i've learned enough, gathered enough tools (mainly an engine hoist, compression tester), i can perform this tedious necessary task of replacing the head gasket, along with the water pump, and timing belt?

After the fluids have been replaced, could I drive the vehicle for a month, or even 2-3 weeks @ a rate less than 20 miles a day without damaging the engine. Then i can better educate myself and fund my repair so everything is done properly, ending with a car that can last me 2 years without shitting the bed.

is that possible /o/?

>>15217570
Thanks man, too late to back out now. Plus you'll never learn or advance if you sub your work out to others.

>>15217474
The EJ25 doesnt have coolant flowing through the manifold, right? I would just like confirm this fact. thanks.

>>15217276
If i were too do the above, could i just also add the gasket sealant, then replace the valve seals when i rebuild the engine?

>>15217126
I'm poor, would use a sanding block if need be.
I don't have any access to a hoist right now, would rigging one up be worth it? instead of repairing in the engine bay?

>>15217529
Show me the way /o/
>>
>>15218656
bump.

Basically i just want to know:

If i replace the oil and coolant with fresh stuff, can i drive my car for a couple of weeks without damaging the engine?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.