[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Road trip preparation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: brake_fluid_cap.jpg (77 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
brake_fluid_cap.jpg
77 KB, 640x480
I will be doing a lot of driving on the coming weeks, sometimes doing 10+ hours per day and totalling like 2000 miles over the span of a couple weeks. What should I be checking on my car before I go? I know to check oil, but aside from that should o be checking other fluid or anything else too?
>>
tires. wouldn't hurt to get your car serviced either
>>
Coolant. Make sure its not dripping, make sure there is no air in the system, make sure the pump is working properly

Wheel bearings. Make sure they're not worn or squeeky, and that they are properly tightened

And make sure all the bulbs work, ofcourse
>>
>>15214411
Every fluid you can measure. Tire tread and pressures, windows for cracks, and clear the interior the fuck out. Evict your spider-bro if you feel the need to dismantle the mirrors.

I'm assuming that your car's not like mine and doesn't have mirrors that somehow don't get spiders in them.
>>
>>15214466
>Evict your spider-bro if you feel the need to dismantle the mirrors.
funny you say that last time I was in the car with my brother he had a spiderbro on his driver-side mirror.
>>
>coolant
>oil
>wheel alignment to prevent unnecessary wear and strain.
>proper tire pressure
I'd say that covers it without knowing the worryspots you have on your car (I.e., my cv boot is torn but no clicking so okay to drive on). You may get a CEL for an 02 sensor since some carbon might dislodged after all that driving. Just know if that is the case to reset it and do something about it if it comes back on.
>>
>>15214493
to add to what this guy (or girl) said, you should buy an OBDII code reader if you can. In the event your car gets an issue you can find out the cause and maybe even fix it yourself depending on what it is. Either way you save money from having to get a "diagnostic" from a mechanic.

I would probably bring a set of wrenches and other basic tools. An extra quart or two of coolant and motor oil would not hurt either.
>>
>>15214411
Change the oil
change trans fluid
Ensure proper alignment
top off on pisser fluid
check/change power steering fluid
make sure coolant is clean, if not, change it

Pretty much everything.
>>
I suppose it's implied with "service" but start with an oil change and fresh air filter and buy a spare to carry along. Keep spare coolant and a quart of oil. Glass cleaner and rags/shop towels, and a few spare fuses just in case.

I once drove 5000 miles in a week in a Saturn. In 4 months that year I did a total of 12k
>>
>>15214411
>What should I be checking on my car before I go?

Verify you have a car preparedness kit of basic items. Past threads have listed what people keep in their cars, so look those up in 4chan archives.

Have something for a flat tire situation so that you are able to continue limping along to the next city service center.
>>
>>15214512
Most parts store like autozone check your code for free nowadays. It's why I never bothered to buy a reader anyway.
>>
What car? Most have touched upon the important things but I'll add some details.

Definitely change what fluids you can, if not check the level and keep spare fluid in the car.

You're tires are going to take the biggest beating, so make sure your alignment is good.

Keep a FULL SIZED spare so that if you do get a flat, you can swap in the spare and keep moving, then get the flat patched when convenient. This is much better than limping along with a donut and maybe the most likely issue you may encounter.

If you know your car well, you should keep spare parts in it such as air mas meter, coil, belts etc. A basic tool kit is a must, I keep mine in there because I go to Pick N Pulls often.

If you have a service manual for your car you're going to want to check just about everything listed in the maintenance section.

I put about 30k miles a year on my '90 245 and keep everything noted in there. Its always nice to be prepared.

Bottom line is, if you have been driving your car daily or fairly often and don't have any issues that you know about, you should be in good shape. Just do everything you can to pack what you need before you leave. God speed anon.
>>
>>15214411
2000 miles? That aint shit. Just make sure you have oil and your tires aren't fucked and go.
>>
>>15214480
That's where they live. You can't get rid of them once they move in.
My old car had a huge stripey fucker in there. Came out and complained if I turned the music up or drove too fast.

My current car has no spider-bro. Medium trim spec, and the mirrors are all electric and sealed against airflow and moisture, and they even fold themselves in when you lock the car. No spiders.
I kinda miss it.

>>15215373
OP probably doesn't do any sort of checks on the regular, so this is more an excuse to get them all done.
That's how I justify doing a set of checks in advance of a summer of short-ish road trips. Gotta be done SOMEtime, may as well be done in advance of a trip.
>>
>>15215589
>You can't get rid of them once they move in.
Spray some isopropyl alcohol and they run out. Smash them dead. Done.
>>
>>15216531
wow rude
>>
>>15216531
... you're fucked up man
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.