[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starter issues in my 87' fox body
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 87 t top Front.jpg (7 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
87 t top Front.jpg
7 KB, 260x194
My 87' Fox Body has a problem where the starter hangs up and wont shut off even when i turn the key to the off position. My local auto repair shop replaced the following: Starter motor , celluloid , ignition coil, and the ignition switch. The problem came back and is damaging the celluloid rapidly. Will i need a new flywheel from all the times it has fought the starter?
Any ideas guys?
>>
>>15210582
>celluloid
Think you meant SOLENOID...
Anyway, did they replace the starter cable? Make sure all the wires are isolated at the SOLENOID and aren't bridging contact.
>>
Forgot, also buy a good quality solenoid... shitty ones from Autozone or the like can cause problems like this out of the box.
>>
File: diode.jpg (93 KB, 420x434) Image search: [Google]
diode.jpg
93 KB, 420x434
>>15210582
OK, first what starter doe it have. The original style pole-shoe starter or the later permanent magnet/gear reduction style as an update. The reason I ask that is the later style if not wired correctly can cause a feedback loop that keeps the solenoid engaged.

Other than that, the cheap solenoids commonly found at parts stores will also allow ground loops to set up and keep the solenoid engaged. It's usually best to use a Motorcraft solenoid and if that's not possible then make sure the solenoid says "Diode Suppressed" on it. The diode keeps the ground loop from occurring. Also the solenoid grounds through the base of itself so make sure the ground is good. Sometimes it's best to use new self-tapping bolts and make new holes due to corrosion on the old parts and holes.
>>
>>15210610
Yes i mean solenoid, auto correct fucked me yet again. the solenoid they put in was a $46 Motor Craft. I think i will go check the starter cable
>>
>>15210646
The starter they put in is the original style
>>
>>15210582
one mechanic said it could be the ignition cylinder...
>>
>>15210582
Not sure why a shop would replace an ignition coil for this problem...
>>
>>15210679
If you unplug the small wire while the problem is occurring and it keeps cranking then it's not the switch. If it stops cranking then it is the switch.
>>
>>15210582
And another thing, there's a body ground there by the battery that leads to the negative terminal. Make sure it's good (tight, no corrosion/rust on either end, etc).

While we're on the subject of grounds too, the main negative cable attaches to the engine on the left side of the aluminum timing chain cover. This likes to loosen up just a touch but enough to cause oddball symptoms when starting, such as radio station presets disappearing or a brief hesitation during starter engagement, just enough to make you think that wasn't quite right, but then cranks normally.
>>
Sticking starter relay?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.