[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a liberty a decent base for an offroad whip? https://bos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 00l0l_3X3KUO9LbEr_600x450.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00l0l_3X3KUO9LbEr_600x450.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
Is a liberty a decent base for an offroad whip?

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5596577486.html
>>
>>15210473
>whip
Kill yourself you beantown bitch
>>
>>15210473
An 87 4x4 ranger on BFG AT's would be 100x better in all honesty
>>
>>15210478
I'm not from Boston though

Also
>being that triggered by common vernacular
>>
>>15210473
No. Get a YJ or XJ
>>
>>15210473
No. Get a wrangler or a Cherokee sport
>>
>>15210473
Fuck no.
>>
>>15210498
>>15210522
Based XJ

Try for an MJ Comanche too, you probably won't find one though because they were rare back then and they've been worked to death since.
>>
>>15210498
>>15210522
>>15210529
I figured as much but saw it and was curious
>>15210549
I honestly have seen 1 running Comanche in my life and that guy was not letting go by the way he talked about it
>>
>>15210473
XJ, YJ, or TJ.
People will charge out the ass for a nice TJ though. 4.2 or 4.0 if you can. Otherwise, you'll hate your life getting on the highway.

>inb4 XJ are shit
>>
>>15210473
Libertys are good little offroaders. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "must be live front axle" crowd ITT. Don't expect it to climb rocks as well as a Wrangler with factory four link front and rear suspension, but even then, a Wrangler with factory suspension links is still somewhat limited.
And XJs, regardless of their arbitrary live axles at both ends are severely limited in rear suspension travel regardless.
>>
>>15211083
>severely limited in rear suspension travel
Okay, I'll bite. How so?
After you SYE, you have way more possible travel.
>>
Hell to the fuck no. Get an XJ
>>
>>15211103
>How so?
I gather to have a leaf spring of a warranted capacity.
I takes a custom multilink rear end to balance up the travel in an XJ.
But then, the utmost travel is overrated. it looks good in staged photos, but in the real world maintaining weight on as many wheels as possible with traction aids far outweighs articulation IMO.
>>
>>15210589
Yeah I've seen a Comanche or two in my life, they're hella rare and loved like pets by their owners.
>>
File: jeepxj.jpg (129 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
jeepxj.jpg
129 KB, 612x612
>>15211144
Another example of a modified XJ.
While the overall travel is superior, the fact it's unballanced doesn't help control lateral body inertia when transfering weight.
>>
>>15210479

funny how this statement is accurate

you got reduced parts availability on the 80's ford which adds costs to repairs,

and you got about 30 years age difference,

and it still will hold up better than chystler's nigger money ass
>>
>>15211144
What about that is any different than a YJ or CJ?
>>
>>15210589
>>15211161
Where do you guys live?

In my town there are 3 different Comanches I see almost daily and I've had the opportunity to buy multiple of them. There's like 6 on the local craigslist
>>
>>15211182
I didn't say it's any different to a YJ or CJ. What I'm saying is live axles at both ends is arbitrary until you take into account how it's fixed to the body and the load it's designed to bear.
But then overall suspension travel and the articulation is relates to is also arbitrary until you take into account how well body movement is controlled and in turn, how evenly the body displaces its weight on each of the wheels touching the ground.

What I'm ultimately trying to say, is the Liberty OP linked would make a fine trail rig, regardless of whether it's got a live axle front or not.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.