[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much rust is too much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 20160604_205419.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160604_205419.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
I'm looking at this '05 Chevrolet Colorado (99K miles) on a dealer lot, and everything checks out except for what I found in the undercarriage. This looks like a lot of surface rust on the frame and other tiddlybits underneath (nothing on the body), but nothing is going through. Is this typical? How much surface rust is too much? I'm financing it, so I'd like it to last me at least 3 years.

I know the pic is shitty because I took it at dusk when the dealer was closed. It's close by so I can take a better look at it later. What do you guys think?
>>
>>15207736

......Your financing an 11 year old truck? With 100K miles on it?

What the fuck OP
>>
>>15207736
Depends on where you live. I've got a 98 vehicle and live in a swamp and mine looks a million times better than that because they don't salt the roads here. Anyway, scrape at a few patches and see how deep it goes before you get to good metal.

Those brake lines look like shit in any case.
>>
>>15207736
>05 Chevrolet Colorado (99K miles)
>I'm financing it,

LMAO, i'm pretty sure the banks wont give you a loan for a car that old and that many miles. get something newer which will actually last like a toyota or honda.

you'd be retarded to get it, without knowing its past and that many miles shits garanteed to break
>>
>>15207768
I have $5000 to spend. This truck is $9000, so it wouldn't be too much of a loan and I could easily pay it off early. If I get something newer, I'll be swamped for years and would have a tough time moving out soon. I'm probably best off buying something outright, but I've found nothing south of 130,000 miles in that category.

I already got a VIN check that was flawless, and I plan to get an OBDII scanner and all that jazz when I actually talk to the guy. This is really the only major flaw I found.
>>
>>15207736
>How much rust is too much?
Any rust is too much.

Don't buy an old car. Don't finance an old car. It will be 14 years old when you are done with the deal.
>>
>>15207768
>banks wont give you a loa
> Buy here
> Pay here
> 5 year finance deal
> That's what we can get you, anon, take it or leave it.
> Finance only no cash!
>>
>>15207859
Where do you live?

Don't get an American truck unless you really like wrenching
>>
>>15207878
>Finance only no cash
Do dealers really do this? What a fucking scam.
>>
Where do you live? In maine, rust is incredibly common and buying used trucks up here is a gamble because of the salt/calcium they put on the roads.

Does the frame bend when you push it on that spot? Is the rust so deep that you can't sand it down and bondo it? Is there a lot of rust anywhere else?

If you do get it, try sanding down the rusted spots and as long as it's not a lot of rust, treat the bottom with coats of rustoleum.

I've done frame repair to a few trucks, and usually you can get by with bondo as long as the rust damage isn't that bad.
>>
>>15207881
Chicago suburbs. Anything I'm looking at has been pelted with salt.
>>
>>15207889
see >>15207894
Also, thanks for those tips. All I've been able to do so far is walk around it and take pics.
>>
>>15207888

Its not dealers, its shady buy-here-pay-here lots that lock you into the highest possible interest rate they can. Normally they have 2-3 vehicles that get "sold" and repossessed in a time frame of 3-4 months, normally after you miss a single payment. Real dealerships don't do that.
>>
>>15207736
Pls walk away anon. In 3 more winters that frame will be swiss cheese
>>
File: Screenshot_20160605-121050.png (564 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160605-121050.png
564 KB, 1440x2560
I'm just saying that the dealer is probably screwing you over.

I don't know if it's base or the LS or what type of cab, but most of them for that year and mileage don't go above $7k in good condition.
>>
wew

I didn't buy an SUV with a lot less rust than that because I thought it was "too much". Do you really need a truck?
>>
File: 1428191984303.gif (1 MB, 180x220) Image search: [Google]
1428191984303.gif
1 MB, 180x220
>>15207768
>American truck
>100k miles
>a lot
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.