[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My 4th gear is fucked up 1st to 2nd = shifts fine 2nd to 3rd
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: ManualTransmission.jpg (22 KB, 415x397) Image search: [Google]
ManualTransmission.jpg
22 KB, 415x397
My 4th gear is fucked up

1st to 2nd = shifts fine
2nd to 3rd = shifts fine
3rd to 4th = this is where problems begin

You cant simply press clutch in and move shift lever from 3rd down to 4th in one motion.
You have to press clutch, move from 3rd to neutral, leave it in neutral position for just a moment and then slowly gently ease it down to 4th and let the clutch off. If you try to do it in one single motion it wont go in and grinds like holy hell.

4th to 5th = shifts fine

Now when you try to downshift from 5th to 4th its impossible, It wont go in the 4th gear gate and grinds horribly. So i downshift to 3rd and then go up to 4th. Literally the only way to get in 4th is to upshift from 3rd in the manner I previously described.

Does this mean my 4th gear synchronizer is shitted up?
Ive been thinking about switching to redline MT90 and see if it helps.

Car is a '96 240sx btw got it a few months ago, and it was a one owner old chinese man who owned it not some drifter punk
>>
>>15202514
>Does this mean my 4th gear synchronizer is shitted up?

yes

/thread
>>
>>15202514
synchro is gone
>>
>>15202514
double clutch or just clutch less rev match shift.
>>
>>15202558
>double clutch

ok help me with this
So im in 5th, i press clutch in, shift to neutral, let off clutch pedal. Then while in neutral I rev the engine up to match 4th gear rpm, then quickly press clutch in and go from neutral to 4th?
>>
>>15202594
yup, or dont even use the clutch, just quickly load and unload (read: blip) the throttle when in gear to unload the gears while simultaneous pulling shifter to neutral, then when the revs are high enough again, quickly push it into fourth. if you get real good you can do it in every gear without grinding.
>>
File: 1447999887174.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447999887174.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>15202558
>>15202594
>>15202888

I just tried double clutching
holy shit it actually works
drops into 4th smooth as butter
>>
>>15203466
Yeah for the longest time I thought double clutching was just a meme
>>
>>15203582
It is.
Unless you dont have a synchro.
>>
>>15202514
transmission rebuild time. sorry bro
>>
>>15203656
Excellent advice bro
You really know your cars bro
thanks bro
>>
>>15203640
Or you have a synchromesh with a very worn out synchro.
>>
>>15202888
No, you are wrong, this is a misconception. You will destroy your synchros doing this. You can't float gears on a transmission with syncrhos. I mean, you CAN, but you're going to break shit and then once you break your synchros it's not just like "oh lol I have a synchroless transmssion, time to float gears!". No, that shit will start popping out of gear, you'll never be able to float gears properly and will eventually end up destroying your transmission.

Floating gears is ONLY for emergency only, don't try to tell people to do that shit regularly you ignorant fuck
>>
>>15203735
I dont think anyone with half a brain would try "clutch-less" shifting anyway
>>
>>15204041
I certainly fucking hope not and if they do I hope they realize that grinding noise is more than just an inconvenience. That's them chipping and destroying not only transmission teeth but also their synchros which are typically made out of cream cheese and are easy to break just doing their job.
>>
>>15202514
Your transmission need a rebuild, synchronizer are made out of brass or iron typically. Just drive with slower shifts and make sure the tranmission stays warm. Also downshifting is hard on your syncros, keep it a minimum, but try some different lubricants and see if you notice a difference. Try automatic transfluid type g/f would be a good place to start. If it performs poorly drain it and replace asap.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.