[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I never post or lurk /o/ but I am thinking of buying a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: new rider big bike.jpg (62 KB, 767x479) Image search: [Google]
new rider big bike.jpg
62 KB, 767x479
Hello, I never post or lurk /o/ but I am thinking of buying a 125cc motorbike. I live in an urban city. I want something that's good value for my money.

I live in the UK

Give me your best suggestions /o/.
>>
File: 1447796864393.jpg (106 KB, 358x477) Image search: [Google]
1447796864393.jpg
106 KB, 358x477
>>15191206
>"it's an automatic"
>>
>>15191206
Get a supermoto or turn something like an XR or Xl125 into one (road wheels, brakes and tyres). Thank me later :^)
>>
>>15191434
>supermoto
What's special about those? And any specific ones in mind?
>>
Are you limited by cc? Because the coolest and best 125 is either the rs125 by aprilia or the
>Wr125
>>
>>15191493
Yes I am, I will do a CBT that allows me to get up to 125cc in a bike.

Thanks for the recommendations.
>>
>>15191493
Also, what about more budget motorbikes. Ones under £1K, used.
>>
>>15191501
I agree with the other anon then. If you have to get a125, at least get one that can go off-road.
>>
File: Virago.jpg (597 KB, 1395x785) Image search: [Google]
Virago.jpg
597 KB, 1395x785
I've tried a fuckload of 125cc bikes while searching for my own when I was 16

Give me a bit more info

>style
What are you looking for? "Racing", supermoto, cruiser, classic?
>engine
Two-stroke or four-stroke?
>important aspects
Do you want power, reliability, comfort for long drives, cornering ability, economy?

Got myself this beauty last Sunday, Virago 125cc
>>
>>15191547
>Style
I would go for anything with a "sporty" look.
>Engine
Whatever you think is best. No idea how does things work.
>Important aspects
In order, reliability, aesthetics, comfort, economy.

Thanks
>>
File: 54_708301416[1].jpg (280 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
54_708301416[1].jpg
280 KB, 1280x720
>>15191699
Aight

>Aprilia RS125
Fast, simple engine (two stroke), huge aftermarket, goes really well unrestricted, looks really nice and popular
>Cagiva Mito 125
Even faster, but more expensive both to buy and to maintain due to rarity
>Daelim Roadwin 125
Cheap as fuck, and looks ok. Meh-tier build quality, not all that powerful
>Honda NSR125
Insanely huge aftermarket, really simple to work on, parts are cheap, its fast and its damned reliable. Drawback; its getting a bit old
>Derbi GPR 125
Goes decently fast and is easy to tune, but suffers from Derbi-tier electrics (never the best), and they also have a tendency to start flaking their paint
>KTM Duke 125
Looks really nice in my opinion, but its a bit lazy with the 4-stroke engine
>Honda CBR 125
Probably the most reliable of the bunch and cheapest to run, but its nothing you'd call fast, and the first two generations look like absolute shit
>Yamaha YZF125R
Looks like a huge bike, goes OK for a four-stroke. Plenty of aftermarket for it

These are the ones I can think of at the top of my head. Would you consider supermotos to be "sporty"?
>>
>>15191769
Thanks a lot for that, I really appreciate it.

And yes tell me more about these "supermotos"
>>
>>15191964
wr125 is a pretty decent dual sport. a supermoto is a dual sport with road oriented wheels and tires and different brakes, but on a 125 the point is negligent. You aren't going to go fast enough to seriously want more than 80/20 on/offroad focused tires.

supermotos are also fairly expensive compared with a dual sport.
>>
File: 27_1058547194[1].jpg (93 KB, 1136x638) Image search: [Google]
27_1058547194[1].jpg
93 KB, 1136x638
>>15191964

>Yamaha DT125X
The bike I know the best. Sporty, decent aftermarket, reliable and rides really nice.
>KTM EXC125
Derestricted its basically the fastest 125cc you'll find, with nearly 40hp at your disposal. Still, they need a lot of service, and they drink fuel like fuck
>Husqvarna SM125
Like a larger KTM, with a slightly lower output and a nicer ride
>Yamaha WR125
Its basically a more reliable, slower and more economical version of the DT125X
>Suzuki DR125
Pretty much the same as the Yamaha WR

These are both supermotos and dual-sports, and this faggot >>15191991 described it well enough

You're probably wondering what the 2-stroke and 4-stroke thing is.

"2-stroke" means that it detonates fuel every revolution of the crank, while a "4-stroke" detonates every other revolution

A 2-stroke engine requires extra oil mixed with the fuel to get lubrication. Without this oil the cylinder will seize and the world as we know it will end. Most bikes have a seperate oil container & pump, although I've always disconnected it and premixed my fuel just to be sure

2-stroke pros:
>lightweight
>mechanically simple
>good power output
>easy to tune
2-stroke cons:
>use more fuel
>requires more service
>loud
>polutes more (whogivesafuck)
>oil

4-stroke pros:
>further between service intervals
>uses very little fuel
>quieter
>no oil has to be added to the fuel
4-stroke cons:
>heavier
>more complicated to work on
>lower power output
Most stock 4-stroke 125cc will feel quite powerless when compared to a 2-stroke, especially when you're going uphill or doing an overtake. You'll still get around just fine and it should do any speed limit you'll find in the UK

If I was looking for a sporty bike these days I would've gotten a 06 or newer Aprilia RS125, throw a full tuning kit on the bitch (Polini cylinder, 38mm Mikuni carburetor, Jolly Moto carburetor and some other small parts), and bring it up to something like 37hp
>>
>>15191991
>>15192101
Thanks a lot for that, very detailed. I am straight but I would still suck your dick for that.
>>
kawasaki eliminator. done
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.