[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a definitive list of shit you should do to an old car
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: VR4-6A13TTengine.jpg (120 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
VR4-6A13TTengine.jpg
120 KB, 800x600
Is there a definitive list of shit you should do to an old car to restore it and get it running as smooth as possible?

I'm pretty newfag with cars, only ever done minor repairs like changing a radiator, starter motor, stuff like that. I have a pretty good car which is starting to shit itself, I'd like to get a cheap little runabout so I can work on this one and get it in pristine condition again, is that going to be too much of an undertaking for someone with little mechanical experience?
>>
B
>>
U
>>
>>15183126
Change all the fluids and filters including bleeding the brakes.
>>
>>15183126

Yes it's called an owners manual.
>>
>>15183126
>bumping multiple times after not being spoonfed for 5 minutes
Nah fuck off
>>
>>15183235
That's pretty basic shit though, I'm thinking more to do with the engine, fuel lines, cooling systems and stuff like that.
>>
>>15183126
New oil and filter, new spark plugs and wires, check belts for signs of wear/cracks, check ball joints / tie rod ends for play, check wheel bearings for play, put new shocks on, check all brakes, check radiator hoses and replace if necessary.

If auto trans then drain the fluid, pull pan, adjust bands, replace pan and gasket, refill with fluid.
>>
>>15183258
>That's pretty basic shit though
So you've already done all the fluids and filters?
>>
not really. depends how many miles, specific issues of that car, service intervals, etc.

your car is failing because it has specific problems, there's no catch all routine. "tune-up" is just a buzzword to sell you shit.

when I got my e46 it was at 130k miles, so I did the timing chain and guides, flushed everything (engine, coolant, trans, and diff), intake and cabin filter, vanos seals (specific to this car).

everything else I'll do in the future will be fixing specific shit that breaks or comes up on service interval.
>>
>>15183270
Got all that done when it got serviced a couple months ago, I know I should do it myself and I will do in future but it was an inconvenience at the time for various reasons.
>>
>>15183263
>>15183293
thanks guys
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.