[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here experienced with cv joints? Im replacing the front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: tmp_27339-images-52577784.jpg (7 KB, 291x173) Image search: [Google]
tmp_27339-images-52577784.jpg
7 KB, 291x173
Anyone here experienced with cv joints? Im replacing the front axle seals on my 97 gmc k1500 and noticed my cv boots are about to fail. I want to keep my oem half axles and not replace them with chinese remanufactured junk. Ive ordered the 4 boots and was looking on the internet high and low but couldnt find anything related to my vehicle with the procedure. I want to clean and repack them with fresh grease. Anyone done this before? Im capable...just not really sure because lack of information.
>>
Also the boots ive purchased are the oem style...not the speed boot or whatever they are refered to.
>>
fuck replacing cvjoints.

no really i would do it myself but i do not have a proper lift.

seriously op just cough up the $150-200 a shop will charge you for labour
>>
>not buying a Haynes manual the same day he bought his vehicle
>>
>>15178750
About an hour a side to replace CV axles. Hardest part is removing the castle nut because of the damn rust belt.
>>
>>15178752
I have a chilton but it doesnt go into detail about seperating the cv joint. Would haynes go more in depth?
>>
>>15178750
Not wanting to replace them. I want to seperate them so i can repack them with fresh grease before the new boots go on.
>>
>>15178825
You'll need a CV joint separator.
>>
>>15178700
I've replaced them before on my Prelude. Was a huge pain in the ass, because ATTS gets in the way. Also ended up needing a new castle nut. Oh, and I picked up a ball joint popper from Harbor Freight.

>not replace them with chinese remanufactured junk
Check out http://www.raxles.com/
>>
>>15178700
Just look for a video on how to do it. I've done seriously dozens of CV axle rebuilds but they were almost all the double plunging cross groove setup. if its the front of your truck you probably have a rzeppa outer CV and tripod inner or plunging straight groove inner. rzeppas usually have an expanding circlip on the end of the axle. you have to hammer the axle through the star of the CV with the circlip on, it comrpesses and fits through the CV star, then when it comes out the other side it expands again. to pull the axle back out you just have to have a sharp impact. you dont need to necessarily wail on it with a BFH, if you can hold it correctly it takes one solid blow.

ive never touched a tripod CV. i imagine the are like a plunging straight groove CV in that they have a snap ring holding the CV star onto the axle, and to get it apart you have to remove a big inner circlip on the inside of the CV housing which lets you pull the CV out, then pull the snap ring off to get the CV star off and replace the boot.

now that i think about it, i think your truck might have tripod inners. my buddy has a slightly newer chevy former 4x4 that he kept blowing tripods on because he was running 37s and ended up converting his truck to 2wd.
>>
>>15178700
>Anyone here experienced with cv joints?
Mercedes Mechanic here, yes, loads.
>Anyone done this before?
Yes, I hope I have, otherwise my delusions are beginning to take hold.

Well, it was good talking to you.
Anyways, good luck. Wash your hands before masturbating.
>>
>>15178819
No idea, I'm a Haynesfag..
You could always dl the FSM
>>
>>15178899
Ive looked everywhere and cant find jack. I guess ill just have to look at it when I get it out. BFH is what im leaning towards. I dont want to destroy them as they work flawlessly.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.