[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lexus LS400 2nd Gen or Lexus GS300/400 2nd gen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 640x640
Sup /o/ I'm a 19 year old going to trade school and Ali's have a part time 30 hr a week job. I had a Integra 98' but I crashed it since I was speeding like a noob damn well knowing my CV boot was ripped on both front ends. Anyways I'm on the hunt for a reliable GOOD car. I wanna upgrade from going to shitty FWD cars to the raw awesome of RWD. My question is, is a Lexus LS400 or GS300/400 good cars for what I'm looking for? I want something that's reliable, RWD, yet still looks like a badass car for my age. I stay in S/o/Cal and have a minimum wage job. Pls I need help/advice for my next serious whip!
>>
Also*
>>
Definitely LS
>>
>>15173207

The 1UZ doesn't get good gas mileage. Especially the pre-VVT models. Just something to consider since you're still in school.
>>
How little do you know about cars, from a scale of nothing to absolute nothing? Get a Civic imo
>>
>>15173372
Well I'm trying to get something reliable yet also RWD that also fits poorfag budget. Will gas take a hit for me financially?
>>
>>15173460
I'm also not a noob when it comes to cars. I'm a car geek and suped up my Integra when I had it. *ricer alert* I changed the intake manifold and added a Skunk 2, put NGK spark plugs, change my oil, switched my radiator since it had a leak, got a SRI (short ram intake) nothing major on my end.
>>
>>15173207

their fairly reliable compared to its german rivals, but its got a few weak spots and if anything breaks its gonna cost you.
>>
>>15173476
>car geek
>considering petrol v8 whilst poor
So we're further along the scale towards absolutely nothing?
>>
>>15173761
But it won't cost me an arm & a leg like a Audi, BMW, or Benz right?
>>
>>15173777
I mean at the same time I won't be driving like a jackass around city/highway having a lead right foot. The numbers online show that the Lexus V8's have good/decent mpg for being V8's if I drive smartly.
>>
>>15173468
The V8 gas mileage isn't too bad given that F20 and S160 were cars from the '90s (the 1UZ itself was designed in the '80s). However compared to modern cars with similar power, it's lacking. If you are okay with blowing a good part of keeping your car running on gasoline, then it's fine.

Also keep in mind that you shouldn't fall for the Toyota/Lexus reliability meme. They are reliable cars, but the problem is that people think that "reliability=neglectability" and therefore regular maintenance can go ignored for long periods of time which is just wrong. The cars are still susceptible to the same issues that any used car is prone to so keep an eye out for them and don't buy the "It's a Toyota/Lexus. It's reliable!" that you'll inevitably get when shopping for these cars.
>>
>>15174078
Alright in that case should I step down a notch and get a GS300? I would get the IS300 but I see that both cars have the same gas mileage and they both have the 2JZ-GE motor which from lurking other forums I can modify in the future if I please. What you think? Get the IS300 or GS300 then? Since I'm worried now that the 1UZ might be a bit of a gas chugger. Plus I know what you're saying. Of course I'm getting Lexus because of Toyota reliability. I know that if I don't keep up with simple regular maintenance then it'll fuck up on me. Like any other car. But Lexus/Toyota is less prone to getting anything fucked up mechanically or shit hits the fan.
>>
>>15174116
Highly recommend a Lexus GS300, 2JZ-GE engine is very well known/common engine also coming out in the Toyota Supra and a few others, and has huge after market support for both maintenance and performance parts. Plus the GS300 shape is a timeless sexy beast.

Quite luxurious, very reliable, and reasonably economical. (I've owned 4 of them).
>>
>>15174145
Yeah I was leaning more on the GS300 since it is a timeless looking vehicle! How is it in terms of speed? Have you mod the S160, if so what have you done? Should I wait and really hunt down for a GS400? It does have 300 HP 305 ft-lb torque. But idk is the GS300 sufficient? How's the mpg? Sowwy for so much questions. I'm on the borderline of buying a new whip. I'm tired of old 90's FWD riceburners.
>>
>>15174163
It's definitely adequate, not exactly a race car but with 230hp from factory keeps you cruising easily. Preference for me is the 2JZ-GE Straight 6 3 litre GS300, we don't really have the 4 litre V8's in NZ but that's where you would loose your economy. I get about 7-8 litres per 100K's on regular fuel.

I haven't modified the gearbox, no need. 5 speed auto is good. I did in the past swap the running gear from a 6 speed manual turbo JZA80 supra in but after all the effort I probably wouldn't do it again.
>>
>>15173948
Don't believe the numbers online. I had a 3uz-fe and averaged 18-22mpg. 1uz won't be much worse but probably nearer to 18 than 22.
>>
>>15174185
Now I'm really sold on the GS300 lolz. One quick thing you think it's possible if I can add quad exhaust pipes? Call me a typical young ricer but I've been looking through Google images having my eyes glossing!
>>
>>15174200
What you had m8? A LS430 or GS430?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.