[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engine overheating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: civic 02.jpg (47 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
civic 02.jpg
47 KB, 625x469
I want to say first I do not know too much about cars. I tried googling for the answer for the last two days and it is giving me like 8 different possible causes of engine overheating and I honestly dont know where or how to start fixing the issue

I have a crappy 02 Civic EX I use to commute to work and it runs okay except when I hit stop-and-go traffic, where the temperature needle rises all the way to the top. Google says it might be a fan clutch issue or that the entire radiator is fucked and needs replacement

I don't have too big of a budget, but I can afford to spend around 300 dollars if it means the car won't break down on some major roadway or bridge during rush hour.

Civic was a used car bought off of craigs list and it has slightly above 180,000 miles on the odometer so I was kinda expecting issues from this car from the get-go. Aside from the overheating issue, it runs perfectly fine.
No it is not riced up, it is completely stock as far as I can tell. I just use it for commuting
>>
Could be your rad.

Could be a dying fan clutch.

Could be your water pump.

Could have air in your system (doubtful unless you've had to empty your system recently for any reason).

Could be your thermostat.

Seriously though, couldn't $300 replace all that on an older Honda?

It's easy diy to op. Easy, easy.
>>
>>15168250
Do the cooling fans come on?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Check your engine coolant / anti-freeze. Could be bone fucking dry. Same shit happened to me a few days ago. Very simple fix.

Don't put just fucking water. Actually put a 50/50 mix.
>>
>>15168250
Check function of fan relay. If the relay is fine the fan is dead.
Your car has no fan clutch
Overheating in traffic usually means the fan isn't working.
>>
>>15168250

Do you have a mechanical or electric fan? If it's a mechanical fan, it's the fan clutch. If it's an electric fan, it's probable the heat sensor has been moved.

Check your rad coolant levels and put your thermostat in hot water to make sure it's opening.
>>
>>15168283
And you can test the relay if you have a power supply that puts out 12 volts. Like a desktop computer power supply.
>>
>>15168298
>>15168298
>Do you have a mechanical or electric fan?
>transverse FWD car from 2002
>mechanical fan
c'mon son!
>>
>>15168280

Disregard. Prob fan because I didn't read it overheats only in stop and go.
>>
>>15168304
No need, you can test the bloody relay by seeing if 12V is present at the fan's connector while the car is running and hot. Even a complete idiot can test for voltage, OP probably can't figure out how to test a relay.
>>
>>15168280
Car coolant is full, but I did have to drain it recently because I had to pull over once and pour a lot of water into the resevoir because it was way too hot.

>>15168273
Cooling fans do come on, however they only come on for like 30 seconds then shuts off even if the needle stays above the 3/4 temperature gauge

>>15168283
Recently replaced the relay. It slightly helped in terms of keeping the fans on longer, but it was a used relay because they dont sell new relays for a 2002 civic
>>
>>15168336
o rly? they don't sell new relays?
>>
>>15168306

I've never owned a vehicle newer than a 1987.
>>
>>15168336

the fans kicking in and out quickly tells me there isn't a major heat issue. maybe test the coolant strength. other than that dont worry about it and drive it until it dies. could be the temp sensor itself. And 3/4 gauge is probably 190 so thermostat maybe. check coolant strength :)
>>
>>15168250
>when I hit stop-and-go traffic, where the temperature needle rises all the way to the top
This exact thing happened to me and the cause was radiator fins plugged with foxtails and bugs (the bugs around here are big and their shells don't decay).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.