[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Uber/Lyft/etc?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 9
File: 4719498_G[1].jpg (20 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
4719498_G[1].jpg
20 KB, 640x360
Thoughts on Uber/Lyft/etc?
>>
>>15167719
>UBER
only creepy old men do this
>lyft
gays
>>
Illegal enterprises.
>>
>>15167773

t. paki cab driver
>>
>>15167816
>corporation doesn't pay taxes and securities for drivers even though they're employees in every single way apart from what the contract says
>drivers still get horse shit for pay even though they themselves never pay taxes either
>pretty much no driver insured adequately, accident will fuck both driver and passengers backwards
>>
Background: My car was totalled a few months ago. I'm going back to school and I don't have one right now, I'm working during the summer to get a new one.

Holy shit, these programs are a lifesaver. In the USA there is little or no public transit, and it used to be a nightmare to buy groceries or go to the laundromat before they existed. People in my town say that taxis went from charging $40 for a 20 minute ride to $20 after they showed up. There's also a lot less drunk drivers on the road on thursday, friday and saturday nights.
>>
Beats the fuck out of having tons of drunk millenials barreling down the highway every night
>>
>>15167719
Ideas I wish I had come up with
>>
>>15167841
>town
i would guess this is why you have "little or no public transport" in your area. how often do you use uber/lyft, and what do you pay on average for each ride?
>>
>>15167833
>even though they themselves never pay taxes either
You do your own taxes mate
>>
>>15167859
I think the poster is saying thanks to these programs, the other taxi services are cheaper.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (8 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
8 KB, 190x200
>>15167843
>millenials

Cause people of other ages don't drink and drive either...
>>
>>15167847
Well, in your defense they shouldn't have worked because they're nothing more than an updated version of the jitney and that battle was fought long ago. Who would predict that regulating authorities would just roll over because of the mere addition of the use of an app to summon the jitney driver?
>>
>>15167959
oh, true.
>>
>>15167719
Convenient services, I've used Uber a few times and I know several people who use one or the other basically every weekend when they go out. If Taxi companies had thrown some money into developing and marketing a similar app then they would've been reaping the profits right now.

It's great when you're going to an area that you know has limited parking or just a shitty parking situation. Some sports venues around here charge $40-$80 for parking so taking an Uber to the game can actually be cheaper. It's also a good service to use if you're going to be hitting the bars or clubs and will be too drunk to drive.
>>
>>15167833
>pretty much no driver insured adequately, accident will fuck both driver and passengers backwards
both lyft and uber insure drivers for half a million dollars while using the service.
>>
>>15167719
Lyft screws its new drivers out if promised incentive. They're not worth driving for. They're cheats and thieves.

Uber updates its app from time to time to make it harder for drivers who aren't creative to understand how to make more money. But if you're smart instead of a follower you can always adapt.
>>
>>15167965
Other generations didn't have rideshare services when they were 21.
>>
Drunk driving is fun af t b h
>>
Good for supplemental income, awful if you're trying to make a living off of it.

Great service in areas with poor public transport and/or expensive cab companies. I went to a conference in LA recently and used Uber quite a bit, and I never felt like I was being ripped off. I paid about $8 on average, most expensive ride was $13 for a trip from the convention center by LA live to my hotel in Koreatown.
>>
>>15167965
It's definitely not a service I hear of many people over the age of 30 using.
>>
>>15169502
I picked up a woman last night at a hospital outside of DC. She said two uber riders had cancelled on her before I have her a ride. I felt bad because she was waiting in the rain and she said her daughter was sick, and then she had this sob story. So I explained to her why it was.

She responded by crying about how discriminatory and inequitable uber is, how its time had passed, how it should be illegal to deny a ride to someone outside a hospital, and how she was going to sue uber corporate, the other drivers, me, and anyone else she could think of. Apparently she was an attorney, who kept exclaiming that she specializes in "this kind"of law.

I didn't take it personally at the time because I knew she was having a rough day, but man was she rude. I have her a 3 star rating. There's one more driver who won't pick her ass up lol
>>
>>15169502
you've obviously never been to new york...
>>
>>15169572

Would you recommend it as a supplemental job? I'm thinking of doing Uber in DFW but I need a different car. Not sure I want to jump through that hoop just for a PT job.
>>
>>15169572
should have pulled over and kicked her ass out.
>>
>>15170160
Idk how good uber lease program really is, but it looks like a good deal. 3 year lease with unlimited miles for 250 down, 250 early termination fee, up to 20k on a new car, 18k on a used.

Uber is funny though. I'm still trying to figure it out. I mainly do it because I really like driving and I figured, "well, I'm gonna drive pointlessly anyway. Fuck it, might as well get paid."

There are guys who drive their teslas for basically the same reason.
>>
while uber seems to have started with decent drivers, now it's all shitskins and so it will probably go downhill fast and lots of female customers will get raped, etc etc.
>>
>>15170162
I haven't kicked anyone out yet, and I've had far more obnoxious people than that. I get it. She was having a rough day. When she started barking at the moon, I really felt bad for her.

Then I saw her million dollar house and lost any sense of sympathy.
>>
>>15170488
Yeah, the women I pick up often express fear of rape or sexual assault. The men usually complain about body odor. They all generally preface what they say with "I'm not racist, but..."

But yeah, the shitskin drivers are disgusting. They're delusional, too. Look at what they talk about:

http://uberpeople.net/threads/what-do-you-do-when-a-drunken-female-pax-sits-up-front-then-grabs-your-lizard.62130/

Tl;dr things that never happened, shitskin fantasy edition
>>
>>15170530
To clarify, they complain to me about other drivers lol
>>
>>15170530
is the risk of sexual assault all that real for them though?
>>
>>15170567
Idk, but they complain about it.

Never stops them from getting in the car, though.

Then there are the ones who say that uber is misogynist because the ceo made "anti-feminist" comments about how his drivers weren't rapists, so they only take lyft.

Fine for me either way, I drive both.
>>
>>15170567
With shitskins? Yeah. The feminists' bogeyman exists, and he makes brown on the streets in fear of the toilet witch.
>>
>>15170594
female passengers you get complain about getting sexually harassed? what do they say?

>>15170611
that's legit scary. I wonder if it is any worse with uber than a general taxi though.
>>
File: 1270016503987.png (7 KB, 213x165) Image search: [Google]
1270016503987.png
7 KB, 213x165
absolutely flat out better than the taxi system

taxi system engaging in straight up crowney capitalism attempting to push them out, nothing surprising

bad drivers occasionally slip through their nets and that shit is BLASTED on all media channels
>>
>>15170626
They ask if it's safe. I tell them yeah. They get in. Sometimes we have a longer conversation about it, but they're already in by then. If I wanted to hurt them it would be too late. Naturally, I don't, but it just goes to show how women (don't) think.

Last night I picked up three drunk high school girls. One didn't want to be alone in the car with me while her friends went to cajole the other two to get into the car. I made small talk and she forgot she was supposed to be afraid of me.

My take is that they're just feeling peer pressure to be scared of uber. Typical feminazi nonsense. Like I said, they all get in anyway.
>>
>>15170626
>I wonder if it is any worse with uber than a general taxi though
If an uber driver actually committed a crime, he would never get away with it. Both the driver and the ride have their apps on, registered to their phones, transmitting gps location to the server, with their address, bank account info, etc. All on file. Any idiot who tried to hurt someone else would be caught by even the dumbest donut eating cop.
>>
>>15170643
The bad drivers get kicked off the app.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3466540/This-Lyft-driver-don-t-want-Terrified-passenger-begs-driver-stop-driving-refused-home.html

In this story, the rider is 100% in the wrong, but the driver deals with it in such an atrocious way that he just makes things a million times worse.

And look what happened to him. His "career" is over.
>>
>>15170626
I've found Uber to be the better service. The drivers actually know their way around the city, the cars are cleaner and you get the occasional qt driving. Granted I'm shitfaced most of the time if I'm using Uber so I'm limited to a few witty remarks and trying not to fall on my ass when I get out.
>>
File: pepe-sweat.png (40 KB, 1065x1101) Image search: [Google]
pepe-sweat.png
40 KB, 1065x1101
>>15170660
>Last night I picked up three drunk high school girls.
>>
>>15170544
kek I thought you were saying all your passengers talked mad shit to you
>>
>>15170698
lol no. My riders usually love me. There's maybe ten percent that don't, and that's split between when I really fuck up and when they're raging tumblristas.

I make them comfortable, then they open up about other drivers. I get inside info on my competition.
>>
>>15170660
I wouldn't call some degree of caution wrong but this is absurd. They're afraid of their shadows at this point.
>>
>>15170729
That's just it, I don't think they're actually afraid. If they really were, they wouldn't say, "hey mister, are you sure you're not going to rape me?" I think they're just socially programmed to be prejudiced in this certain way.

Not that I care, really. They're paying me. I'll go through the little motions if they want.
>>
>>15170725
What percent say nothing and don't talk?

The thing I hate about Uber is the drivers always talk. They never shut up. Almost makes me miss the Haitian on a mobile phone.
>>
>>15170808
More on uber than on lyft. There are some who say "sorry, but this is my quiet time." Others just make it very clear they aren't interested in conversation. Usually, I'll ask maybe 3 to 5 simple, open ended questions, and if all I get are one word answers, then I get the message and just leave them be.

Or if they make phone calls I turn the radio off for them and shut up. You know, the standard bullshit.
>>
Anyone done it in the UK?
>>
$10 an hour after expenses. Your call to risk life, limb and auto for their social experiment. [spoiler]I'm fulltime myself[/spoiler].
>>
>>15169502
I'd say most of my pax are over 30 except at 2 am, and even then a bunch of the time.
>>
>>15171435
damn that sucks
plus there's depreciation on your car/parts
>>
>>15171483
Alternator just went. $500 gone just like that.
>>
>>15171491
>$500 for alternator

Damn man, I replaced the alternator on my vehicle in about 30 minutes for $80 in parts.
>>
>>15171502
The cheapest version of my alternator on a 2007 Toyota was $400.
>>
>>15171483
>>15171491
Not to mention traffic fines. In my city those are crushingly brutal.

Also airport runs. I lose money taking riders to the airport.
>>
>>15171508
Holy shit
>>
>>15171508
This is /o/ he's going to tell you to salvage parts from a junk yard.
>>
>>15171513
Do you not get reimbursed for airport tolls or whatever is causing you to lose money there?
>>
> Sign up for Lyft
> Everything going well
> Watch videos
> Detail car
> Buy cat chargers, air fresheners, gums, and snacks
> Go to Miami (from West Palm Beach) to do interview
> Kinda far but okay let's do this
> Pass inspection

> Days later application is rejected because my car is 2003 and must be 2009 or newer as West Palm is in miami territory.

WHY WAS I NOT TOLD AT ALL IN ANY OF THE APPLICATIONS
fuck this company.
>>
>>15171521
With Uber, you can always manually report tolls they (very, very conveniently) miss
>>
>>15171519
Nah, alternators are something you should always buy new or rebuilt
>>
>>15171522
https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214219557-Requirements-for-Lyft-Vehicles

I feel for you, but this page does exist nonetheless.

>>15171529
Warranties are a good thing to have probably. At least I got a 3 year one.
>>
All I can say is being in a condensed space with an old man straight out of the third world gives me weird vibes.
>>
>>15171522
i have noticed all of uber/lyft cars tend to be more recent models :o
>>
>>15171535
2004 is the oldest possible, and they'll be pretty cold about moving that requirement up every other year more than likely.
>>
I only took uber a few times (drunk obviously) but it was fine. A dude in a Fusion shows up and takes you were you want to go while you shoot the shit.

I however live in Austin, where Uber and Lyft are too chicken shit to have their people checked out. And simultaneously the local government is too invasive to let a company make money. So we don't have that anymore.
>>
>>15171522
>thinking driving people in a 14 year old car is acceptable
>>
>>15171553
>too chicken shit to have their people checked out.
explain? you mean background checks?
>>
>>15167719
With the new Tesla deal for Uber and Teslas being able to drive themselves.

Feels pretty demolition man
>>
>>15171626
can't wait to get picked up by a robot rather than some blabbering failure.
>>
>>15171683
Why not drive yourself?

Also if Clinton gets in she'll put in place a 55mph speed limit...
>>
taxis are a fucking cartel.
>>
>>15171689
sometimes I drive, sometimes I'll take an uber - depends what i'm doing obviously
>>
>>15167719
it gets the appliance drivers into the back of taxis and leaves the roads to people who can drive, most of the uber drivers I've seen are decent drivers that don't do stupid shit on the road

I'm fine with that
>>
>>15171605
There should be exceptions made for sure for certain cars, after visual inspection by Uber or Lyft.

What if someone wants to drive his termi cobra with mystichrome? unlikely but should be allowed. I dont think many would complain!
>>
>>15171612
More comprehensive fingerprint-based criminal background checks for drivers and a 1% fee on revenues.
>>
>>15171689
I only take Uber when I'm going out drinking or going to a concert or sporting event where traffic and parking will be a nightmare.
>>
>>15171740
>the car's too loud
>there's not enough room in the backseat
>the driver went too fast
>>
>>15171755
I was never into taxis and even I came around to taking them in the scenarios you just mentioned. Respect to the people smart enough to take one if drinking.
>>
>>15171761
Well, its clear that its a mustang meant for really, only one person.

Make it clear to perspective customers that, it may be louder than normal cars, may be a rougher ride and may be less room.

I bet it still gets loads of ride request in a large city.
>>
>>15171770
I've taken taxis a few times in those same situations. It's just a lot easier to open the Uber app and request a ride than it is to drunkenly fumble through google search results to find the phone number of a taxi service... and then try to figure out the address of the place I'm at or what street corner I'm near when I'm completely unfamiliar with the area.
>>
>>15171781
I don't think you can request specific cars/drivers on Uber though can you?
>>
>>15171796
Well, there are different tiers like UberSelect or UberBlack.

They could make a tier that focuses on sports cars. Since the sensation of going fast is mostly torque you wouldnt really need to "speed".

It will never happen but its a thought.
>>
>>15171531
My car did meet the requirement. 2002 was required but then they changed it to 2009 after i came back from Miami.
>>
>>15171704
this.
>>
>>15171751
Cities already charge a large fee.

Why do you think fingerprints are so important?
>>
>>15172261
How long ago was this? 2004 has been the minimum for quite some time now.
>>
>>15171832
It could never get past legal. Who's going to pay the speeding tickets? What happens when there's an accident and some ambulance chasing lawyer insists Uber is encouraging law breaking by promoting Assault Cars?
>>
>>15171531
>https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/214219557-Requirements-for-Lyft-Vehicles
This is some hidden bullshit.

>Oh they publish it so everyone should know!!1!1one

Horseshit. They produce all their deceptive advertising to sucker drivers in and then screw them over on technicalities. Talk to any lyft driver that doesn't work for corporate, and they'll tell you the same.
>>
>>15172445
>owning a vehicle that is ~10 years old or less is a technicality

That said, that link does require the initiative of one Google search. I definitely agree it should be linked at the top of any application, but am not too sure I follow your tangent about deception. The only screwing happening here is not having a new enough car to begin with. I will say I don't understand how they can require as high as 2009 in some markets, that does seem extreme.
>>
>>15172475
>I don't understand how they can require as high as 2009 in some markets, that does seem extreme.
To be fair (and I don't really want to be right now) that seems to be a requirement that's forced on them by local politics and competition.

The thing is, though, they'll screw you over on any technicality they can. That's just one example.

If I had to do it over again, I would sign up for lyft, put all my ducks in a row, and ensure I had the correct bonus code for their guaranteed $1500 per week for the first month. But no new driver is EVER going to be able to navigate through their bureaucratic bullshit to figure all that out. That's sort of the point. They advertise it, and then make it impossible to do. But, you know what? It's clearly on their website!

That nothing links to.

That's impossible for anyone to find until you dispute them, then they send you the hidden link.

lyft's a san francisco hipster scam.
>>
>>15172519
I have definitely heard accusations of them not honoring fat incentives. The matter of that guy finding out his 2002 car wasn't eligible was more of a him problem though.
>>
>>15172533
They're clever. It's always like that. They find some way to say, "well, you messed up in this tiny way."

Even if it was easy for you to google up, he was under a different impression and acted in good faith. They know he's too poor to actually sue them, though. Even if he did, their legal team has prepared a good case before anyone even could dispute him.

I agree with you that an older car is reasonable to exclude, but taken in the totality of the context of all their other abuses it paints a completely different picture. Meanwhile their team of 25 year old hipsters are living high off the work of drivers duped into their impossible system.
>>
>>15172603
Well for what it's worth I've worked Uber since November and just got accepted to Lyft and so far contrary to what I hear so much of, I honestly favor Uber quite a bit more than what I've seen so far. Clunkier app, awkward company, loads of text harassment. I don't know why people get on a high horse about this company. Like Uber they definitely don't care about their drivers, and in some ways are far worse, like a substantially larger insurance deductable and greater difficulty getting support if someone is sick in your car, etc.
>>
>>15172619
Maybe, but at least Uber isn't actively stealing from their drivers through deceptive practices.

As it stands, a guy can work a 50 hour week for lyft and then get told, "woops, sorry, you forgot this bureaucratic hoop to jump through, that you never knew about, three weeks ago. Now you're going to make $9/hour instead of $30. Nothing we can do."

Uber's got other scams, no doubt, but they aren't even close to as evil as lyft corporate is. If you really just signed up for them, I hope you picked the right incentive, because otherwise you're screwed.

Oh, who am I kidding. They're going to screw you regardless.
>>
whats an average uber driver making? Considering ubering in my STI lol
>>
>>15172738
You'll never afford gas.
>>
>>15172738
Not a living wage. Only do it for the lolz.
>>
>>15167833
I'm a driver and sometimes a rider. Cab service is a joke in Portland. Rideshare is amazing to have here.

It's my alternative form of income for me to return back to school.
>>
>>15170530
I picked up 4 rowdy girls once from a metal show and one chick started rubbing my shoulders. I'm pretty sure she only did that to kind of be a showoff to her girlfriends. A single supposedly hot girl in the car going after the crotch sound like bullshit.
>>
>>15172880
yeah my normal job pays well i just get bored at night might as well get paid
>>15172778
you have a good point
>>
>>15172427
Actually let me restate what i said. They changed West Palm Beach to Miami territory so I got fucked. But I did meet the requirement. I believe every year the minimum gets bumped up
>>
>>15173013
Yeah, there's a reason they recommend hybrids but I've seen a full size pickup with an uber sticker so there's people that do it...
>>
>>15173044
Anyone can put a sticker in their window. That doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>15167841
are the drivers more or less likely to rape you than if you took a taxi or hitch hiked

can it be used for drug running or prostitution
>>
You can't use a Crown Vic as an Uber car. That's silly.
>>
File: tuc_tuc_by_eliosart.jpg (197 KB, 726x652) Image search: [Google]
tuc_tuc_by_eliosart.jpg
197 KB, 726x652
what about a power rickshaw ?
>>
>>15173081
I would pay higher than Uber rates just for the novelty.
>>
>>15173055
pretty unlikely but cool story anyways.
>>
>>15173055
Not sure what was meant by this, but one of the only times you're going to manage running an illegit Uber is 2 am when the bros are desperate. Incidentally when that is being policed the most, depending on where.
>>
>>15173123
>implying a an uber sticker on a car that isn't used for uber is unlawful.
It''s not like you flag down an uber car anon. You could literally [place an uber sticker on your lunchbox.
>>
>>15173123
How would one even manage to operate an uber car illegally? How would you even get paid? You don't know how uber works, do you?
>>
>>15173081
We have a thai bar and restaurant where the owner had to spend a stupid amount of money to import one to the US and had it converted to electric and park its in front of the place to take customers on rides. It's in the pearl district of Portland if anyone in the PNW wants to try out riding in one.

It feels like you're doing 60 when you're really only going 20-25 in the city.
>>
>>15173154
I work for Uber. I became aware that select drunks are getting in bullshit cars. I'm not that surprised after hearing some of the questions naive pax ask me. Also some douchebags are so desperate for a quick ride they will actively try to take another person's Uber by doing things like rushing in and seeing if they can read the person's name off the screen or just guess a common name. Also they will shout at you on the side of the road begging you to just take them. An actual majority of pax are just not aware you cannot just set them up for a ride yourself. So yeah.
>>
>>15173175
>>15173154
>>15173145
What, this shit doesn't really happen... Anyone that has ever used uber even once knows that's not how it works. If you conned someone into thinking you were uber you wouldn't make any money as you need the driver app to get money. It's a cashless system.

Look, people aren't slapping fake uber stickers on their cars. There's no real motivation to do that.
>>
>>15173206
Do you not have a college or bar scene of any sort in your town? I'm not saying this is widespread, but it isn't entirely uncommon either.
>>
>>15170808
Wait so uber drivers actually expect to have conversations with their passengers? That's unprofessional as fuck.

I've been a chauffeur for years and have never initiated a conversation.
>>
The typical Uber or Lyft is half the price of a taxi so I'm game. Sure it's technically more dangerous but I don't live in a commie state where I can't defend myself so I'll risk the kidnapping to save $35.
>>
>>15173640
No, but the drivers do seem to be very talkative.
>>
>>15167841
>and it used to be a nightmare to buy groceries or go to the laundromat before they existed

Move to a better neighborhood then. You're spending rediculous amounts of money just to get around for errands. My current apartment is a 1 mile walk (granted uphill/downhill) to grocery and the laundromat, and a 3 mile walk to my college, and we have bike lanes going the whole way. Moved here a year ago, already lost like 20lbs and my calves look like moose hearts.
>>
>>15170488

Also their cars are shitty to ride in.

White driver: nice SUV usually with leather seats, smells like leather boot inside. Smooth driving. Baseball game on the radio for a little background ambience for the ride.

Black driver: hyundai accent, cloth seats, tacky ornaments like plastic gems glued to the shifter, smells like tree car freshner and coco butter, and the driver is jerky at the throttle and brakes. R&B radio.
>>
>>15169502
>>15167965
>>15167843
Even if our generation is currently in our partying stage, it doesn't mean other people weren't just as bad.
>>
File: mullet16.jpg (29 KB, 500x560) Image search: [Google]
mullet16.jpg
29 KB, 500x560
>tfw you realize that if your car was made in the 1970s-1990s, there is a pretty good chance it was made by a faggot sporting a mullet
>>
>>15175188
It's just a shame you can't Uber with them.
>>
>>15175281

fuck man
>>
>>15171522
>WHY WAS I NOT TOLD AT ALL IN ANY OF THE APPLICATIONS
WHY DID YOU SPEND MONEY BEFORE BEING ACCEPTED?

>>15171832
>They could make a tier that focuses on sports cars.
UberFast?
>>
>>15175714

UberHECTIK
>>
Give any sweet rides tonight /o/?
>>
>>15173069

I took an uber to my weedman's house and back until I found a guy closer to me if that counts
>>
>>15180425
Uber is awesome for getting home from the city when you're shitfaced at 4am.

Press one button on my phone, Mandeep in his pristine Toyota Camry rolls round the corner, mates and I pile in, he hands us a free bottle of water and mint each, drives carefully and plays whatever music our drunk asses desire and drops us off at our individual houses. Automatically splits the fare between everyone. With 4 of us in the car a trip to all our houses only costs us about $6 each

Fucken love Uber, usually leave a $10 or so tip for the driver between as penance for dealing with us
>>
>>15180492

I'm in a college town so cost to the bars, especially with two of my boys is like three bucks each. Fuck waiting for my roommate to pick me up at 3:30

>get into uber
>request ride to jack in the box
>jack in the box is only a minute's walk away from the apartment
>we all eat or grab the bags
>go home

Is leaving a tip customary? I usually tip like a dollar or two because my rides usually come out to $10 at most
>>
Uber drivers are always trying to hit me up to get hired on the side / off the books. Uber needs to do something about that.
>>
File: klx.jpg (38 KB, 420x288) Image search: [Google]
klx.jpg
38 KB, 420x288
I want to do it on a sidecar
>>
>>15181151
How? Do they give you their number?
>>
>>15181189
I'd pay some extra for that
>>
>>15172902
PDX bro
>>
File: 1328870155821.jpg (23 KB, 544x409) Image search: [Google]
1328870155821.jpg
23 KB, 544x409
>>15181189

>enduro
>sidecar
>>
Uber is starting to offer delivery services as well in chicago (I live 30-40 minutes away on a good day). I was interested because I'd actually be able to use my miats for a change, although I ultimately reconsidered because fug driving in gridlock with a stick and a passenger seat full of rapidly cooling food.

>tfw no express ridesharing service for 2-seater cars
>>
>>15167965
Cause I've been drinking & driving longer than you've been alive. Fuck off novice
>>
>>15182818
yup
>>
>>15182418
Doesn't get that far. They just sort of hint at it and talk about how Uber should allow you to request a specific driver, etc.
>>
>>15182960
In the Dallas area we have Favor for delivery services, it's pretty nice when you wake up with a terrible hangover and just want a greasy burger delivered to your doorstep.
>>
>>15182960
>>15186127
I would never want to transport food, car would smell like carry out all the time. nasty.
>>
>>15180492
>>15180515
uber pool is really bad for the drivers. Some of them will cancel all pool requests. If you're doing the pool, you really should tip.
>>
>>15186157
I'd do it, I loved delivering pizza and the weed stank overpowers any food smell but curry. (Mmmm, tikka masala)
>>
>>15181151
>>15182418
>>15185866
I get it exactly the opposite way. I have riders all the time ask if they can request me specifically to drive them, and I have to tell them there's no way to do that through the app and it probably wouldn't really work out anyway.

On the other hand I talk to other drivers sometimes who say they do their own private service. Basically they'll set up a facebook page and let people who like them enough sort of reserve them in advance for a certain block of time. Nothing off the books about it. It's just not using Uber's app, so they're really not involved.
>>
>>15173640
Because both uber drivers and passengers alike don't know whether you're supposed to or not, and after feeling awkward as fuck for about three minutes just go "fuck it don't wanna seem creepy and antisocial, I need that tip"
>>
>>15186798
You can't tip in Uber.

But as a driver I circumvent that by being the first to open conversation. Usually by saying hi and telling them my name.
>>
Stupid college dropout uber drivers thinking they need to have conversation with passengers
Just drive and stfu
>>
>>15186863
It's not like cab etiquette is something most people learn

And the vast majority of the population enjoys conversation a hell of a lot more than you do. And don't try to pretend you don't hate people in general, you're here, aren't you?
>>
>>15186879
Have you ever been in a normal cab? None of the drivers start trying to have conversation
>>
>>15186826
Not in app but cash tips are accepted now. It was settled in a class action suit.

http://uberlawsuit.com/Following%20$100%20Million%20Settlement,%20Tipping%20Uber%20Drivers%20is%20Now%20on%20the%20Menu.pdf

Even the training video on uber's site has been changed. They state as a driver you have to inform tips are not required but can be accepted if someone asks or offers.
>>
>>15186892
> tips are not required
Oh really! Who would have thought
Dumb as Americans
>>
I drive full-time for Lyft in Los Angeles.

Even after expenses I'm making alright money. I'm still looking for more regular work, but Lyft pays the bills so I can't complain. The only thing that really sucks is putting a lot of miles on your car.

I just make sure to hit the 20% bonus tier every week and make sure to opt into all of the hourly guarantees and it works out.
>>
>>15186760
>On the other hand I talk to other drivers sometimes who say they do their own private service. Basically they'll set up a facebook page and let people who like them enough sort of reserve them in advance for a certain block of time. Nothing off the books about it. It's just not using Uber's app, so they're really not involved.
What a bunch of dumbasses. Those drivers will have no insurance doing that.
>>
>>15186892
If an Uber driver ever asks for a tip I'll not give them one and then just rate them shitty for being a begging nigger. Not having to mess with cash and fuck with tips is one of the advantages of Uber.
>>
>>15187651
Yeah, maybe. But the next step up is to get commercial insurance anyway. At least that's not a dead end career path.
>>
>>15187862
you'd need a taxi medallion too, at least in my area. limo drivers need them, then you'd get commercial insurance, then you'd be legal picking up people without uber.
>>
>>15173640
>I've been a chauffeur for years and have never initiated a conversation
That's because a chauffeur's job is literally 'shut up and drive'.
A taxi driver is expected to chat and banter. Ever seen a london cabbie? Non-stop talking. Usually bitching about how Uber's taking their jerbs.
>>
>>15188295
And what's wrong with doing that? You'd make more money than with uber, and wouldn't be beholden to their app.
>>
>get an uber
>guy in civic pulls up
>manual and the kid is racing around
>tries to spark up conversation with me for a bit
>starts blasting christian rock when we run out of things to talk about
10/10 ride, will tell my children and grandchildren about it
>>
>>15186906
>workers get tipped
>business finds out
>its not fair! my workers are earning more than minimum wage!
>use tips as excuse to cut wages
>can't earn living wage without tips now
>something about jews for good measure
What used to be a reward for truly excellent service has now become a way for businesses to excuse paying unlivable wages to their employees.
>>
>>15188858
Then you'd be a taxi driver. The whole point of driving for Uber is that the barrier to entry is low and anyone with a new-ish car and good driving record can do it in their free time for some extra money. Getting a medallion can be very expensive depending on the area (in New York City a medallion costs over $500k) and commercial vehicle insurance is also cost prohibitive for someone who only wants to drive part time for extra money.
>>
File: Mazda MX-5.jpg (111 KB, 700x464) Image search: [Google]
Mazda MX-5.jpg
111 KB, 700x464
>>15189776
>in New York City a medallion costs over $500k
>>
>>15188295
"need" is such a... strong word.

But realistically, if you drive Uber Black you get commercial insurance anyway.
>>
>>15189705
When I met with the Lyft screener, he said "TIPS is an acronym for Tips Insure Proper Service."

Notwithstanding he meant ensure instead of insure (it wouldn't spell the right acronym) or that he used the word itself in its own acronym, I think that describes lyft pretty damn well.
>>
>>15191558
Okay, well you "need" it to have insurance coverage at all. So any accident would absolutely bankrupt you if you got sued. And in America people sue for fucking everything, especially car accidents.
>>
>>15167719
just get the bus.
>>
Tried using Uber Black and some poo in the loo tries picking me up in a Ford Expedition. nope.jpg. Took an Uber X instead. I don't care how fully loaded it is, I'm not paying extra to roll around in a Ford. Lincoln maybe, but not Ford.
>>
>>15173640
if you get a taxi, its some indian cunt whispering into his phone earpiece the entire ride and its really awkward. Not everyone is a 4chan basement dweller lacking social skills, I like talking to the uber drivers
>>
>>15191593
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym
>>
>>15191593
I always thought it was "To Insure Proper Service" ?

Either way i'm not tipping on lyft or uber, you guys can get fucked
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.